EU Italys E-cig industry crippled by taxation

Status
Not open for further replies.

vNistelrooy

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
Malaysia
I believe they are heading towards the same direction here in Malaysia..by fear mongering especially..saying ecig more dangerous than convensional cig..sadly its working..1 of my coworker suddenly yelled at me about smoking ecig when she saw me walking around holding 1..its like fear of the unknown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Unfortunately the tax is going to affect not just juices but also devices and - brace yourselves - batteries!
Anyway the law should keep ecig market "free", so I think I'll keep on buying from the rest of the EU :p
If this is not the most stupid law I've ever seen, it's close.

You have a point there. The more on the market, the more tax they can rake in. But they don't know where to start as it is, except with the typical big three. They'll lose taxes and face no matter how they try to swing things in tax favor.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK

And so it begins :(

I wonder if that applies to devices as well as e-liquids? It looks like vaping is about to become as or even more expensive than smoking in Italy - great job on THR there *sigh*.

I wonder which EU members will follow suit? That kind of tax revenue's just waaay too tempting...

*Edit* Don't know if this is right, but according to what I could find, the tax on cigarettes in Italy is only (!) 58.4% - kinda obvious the message the Italian government is sending to vapers eh? Start smoking :facepalm:

*Edit 2* Smoove's current price for e-liquid with nicotine is 6 Euros ($8.15) - I believe that's already being taxed at the tobacco rate of 58.4% since no-nic liquid is only 4 Euros ($5.43) - this tax hike will put the price of a 10ml bottle up to around 7.2 Euros ($9.78).

*Edit 3* Oh, and just for the sake of comparison, the approximate cost of a packet of cigarettes in Italy is 4.5 Euros ($6.12).

Last edited:

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I bet BP has been trying to knock them out of business so they can take over the nicotine production patent & business. Banning smoking from towns, cars, homes... banning eCigs ... pricing them both out of reach...
BP will destroy every benefit nicotine brings, by changing its complexities to suit agendas.
We need to petition against BP patenting rights. It's destroyed every walk of life, not helped.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
This article seems to be blaming lost business on a tax that didn't go into effect till this year. I also think that juice venders have considerable leeway to lower their prices.
I do think it takes a sleazy government to tax a lifesaving device.

Although the measure will only come into effect in 2014, it has already caused a massive shock in the e-cigarette market, with Italy’s National Association for Electronic Smoking (ANAFE) reporting a 99% drop in requests for new business licenses in the sector, and 123 closed shops in the months of May and June alone. And it’s not just the small businesses that are feeling the devastating effects of the upcoming tax increase. Ovale, one of the world’s largest e-cigarette makers and distributors in the world, has announced a 50% drop in sales for 2013 compared to the same period of last year, and expects things to get even worse, with an estimated sales deficit of 80% in January 2014.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
This article seems to be blaming lost business on a tax that didn't go into effect till this year. I also think that juice venders have considerable leeway to lower their prices.
I do think it takes a sleazy government to tax a lifesaving device.

Even sleazier to tax it at a higher rate than tobacco :mad:

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
Yep, After the PACT Act I couldn't afford to buy Swedish Snus anymore. So, I switched to vaping. I won't be surprised when I can't afford vaping as well after it's taxed :(

Given all your posts on DIY mixing I'd think a man such as yourself has enough nic stashed away to last 'til rapture no? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread