Protank 2 coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashells

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
I have done two pro tank coils- one didn't work at all but I know why- and the second I only managed to get .4 ohms. It wouldn't work on any of my devices.

So. How many wraps did you do? Did you use the same wick? Do wrap around a drill bit? I used a needle pushed through ekowool.

Sorry if this isn't exactly thread appropriate but I really want to rebuild coils. Plus I have a rocket I'm afraid to rebuild if I can't even do a protank right.

elfy

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2013
Elfland, everywhere, USA
I have done two pro tank coils- one didn't work at all but I know why- and the second I only managed to get .4 ohms. It wouldn't work on any of my devices.

So. How many wraps did you do? Did you use the same wick? Do wrap around a drill bit? I used a needle pushed through ekowool.

Sorry if this isn't exactly thread appropriate but I really want to rebuild coils. Plus I have a rocket I'm afraid to rebuild if I can't even do a protank right.

look in my blog here, one entry is about rebuilding protank coils, and a link to a video...you DO need to have some means to test a rebuilt coil so you know its not going to be too low in the resistance.

but, other than that? its easy and Ive gotten nice results from my tanks, versus stock Kanger heads which can be awful. I also use cotton and have dumped silica wick - I kinda dont trust silica any more....dont want to inhale that stuff.

ah let me add: I use 30 gauge Kanthal A-1 wire and 9 wraps, gives me around a 1.8 ohm coil...works great for me.

Last edited:

somdfisher

ECF Veteran
look in my blog here, one entry is about rebuilding protank coils, and a link to a video...you DO need to have some means to test a rebuilt coil so you know its not going to be too low in the resistance.

but, other than that? its easy and Ive gotten nice results from my tanks, versus stock Kanger heads which can be awful. I also use cotton and have dumped silica wick - I kinda dont trust silica any more....dont want to inhale that stuff.

ah let me add: I use 30 gauge Kanthal A-1 wire and 9 wraps, gives me around a 1.8 ohm coil...works great for me.

I watched your recent video after you switched from scissors to finger nail clippers for the same thing. An used a blunt needle instead of a drill bit.

elfy

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2013
Elfland, everywhere, USA
ah, also left out: i use a 2mm screwdriver to wrap around, it has a little flat edge that lets me compress the coils after i wrap it, and then i also heat it with a lighter and then compress it again w/ pliers - just be careful to make sure the coils are even and not all squished and on top of each other...its not hard to make them nice and tight

elfy

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2013
Elfland, everywhere, USA
I watched your recent video after you switched from scissors to finger nail clippers for the same thing. An used a blunt needle instead of a drill bit.

right, not everyone will have or use the same tools, its all about the results...as long as you are getting nice vapes then you are doing it right, imo. :)

i use fingernail clippers now too, lot neater heads and easier to do, versus scissors...oh yus

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've been experimenting with more efficient ways to wrap a coil around a 2mm silica wick. The needle method turns out to be best for me. I still can't do it fast enough to make money at it in terms of savings vs the value of my time. Yes, it would be TV watching time (unpaid) but I find myself more intense on the winding process rather than actually absorbing what's going on in the show!

I still buy far more heads than I rewind. I have a ziplock about 2 inches deep in potential savings if I ever get the used heads done, though. :)

Walter Ego

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wild West
dave p just make micro coils with cotton wicks once you get it right you will never buy a head again its so easy i think my 6 year old could do it forget the ekowool and silica thats whats giving you problems wrap it round a dill bit or micro screwdriver

I agree 100%, I bought my wife 2 new protank 2s for Christmas and I tore the brand new coils apart and rebuilt them just like you say.

RuDawg7890

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
Sinking Spring, PA, USA
Hate to revive a semi-old thread, but I've had this and many other PT build threads on my subscriptions for quite a while, just never got around to trying it.
I haven't liked my PTII since the day it arrived, not even a little bit! In a search for RBAs, RDAs & RTAs, I watched many videos on coil builds and specifically PT builds. I gave it a shot. I can not believe the results. It doesn't even seem like the same tank! All I did was remove the stock wick and replaced with cotton. The vape is now absolutely amazing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread