Not open for further replies.

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
Thought I'd share a nice tool that I found in the PT Microcoil discussion (Clearomizer forum) to easily make tight micros very quickly. I'm using this:

Amazon.com: Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo(R) Deluxe Winder for Jewelry Making: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

In the video, I'm using 30g Kanthal, holding the reel in my left hand for tension, wasting a few wraps to get the wire over to where it will rest against the side post of the Gizmo and crank. Then, I pull those loops wraps off, leaving 10 nice tight wraps ready to install. I don't torch, take the wire right off the reel. Afterwards, I'll install it into wherever I'm gonna use it (usually a PT head) and pulse fire it, nudging the ends inward after firing with that pin I used to unwind the loose wraps. Usually takes no more than 3 nudges and it glows perfectly from the middle out.

Reactions: JuicyJade

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Thought I'd share a nice tool that I found in the PT Microcoil discussion (Clearomizer forum) to easily make tight micros very quickly. I'm using this:

Very cool! I can't believe I never thought of using something like this for making atty coils. I have something that's basically the same exact thing, but on a larger scale that I made years ago for winding wire for making chainmail rings.

Thanks for sharing the link!

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
I have that one, as well, really admire folks with the ability to conceive and build something that works. After practicing, I could get that one to work well, better than 50% success on a tight wind that didn't "have" to be squeezed. The dexterity to pinch and maintain tension with consistency is the key. The coiling gizmo, though, requires none of that, and will likely work well for more people getting started.

VIAWOL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
Rogersville, TN
Check this out! It isn't really anything special, but I got the idea from some one on ECF. It is slightly smaller than my wick hole of my Kraken. It definitely makes coil making simple.
ejugezeh.jpg

The screw is a 4/10 machine screw and that is what I use to rebuild protank heads for my dad. I just hold it sideways.
dyty3upe.jpg

This post was found in an ancient ruin, possibly left by aliens.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
The gizmo that @flavored informed me of is truly the easiest way to make a perfect coil. With very little waste and perfectly straight legs if you add a nut and bolt - another idea he informed me of.
W0Bv4Ca.jpg

CuCftXY.jpg

I've tried allot of ways to wrap and can easily wrap a pro micro by hand but this makes it so much easier. No heating and squeezing required.

If your into bending paper clips or wire - rock on - chef doan judge. :)

Thanks flavored.

kriga

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2013
FL
First off, I've never built a coil of any sort before. I picked up this gizmo, an ohm checker, 30 gauge kanthal and some organic cotton. I decided the first one would be just a test run to get familiar with the process, so I didn't really keep track of exactly how many wraps. The coil itself came out beautifully, gave it a torch afterwards just to be sure, and installed it in a protank head. It checked at 2.67 ohms, which of course is high, but not bad for a test run. My factory head reads 2.7. I didn't add a flavor wick and am about halfway through a tank of 65/35 with no gurgling, leaking, and not one dry hit. Pretty happy with myself.:laugh:

Just wanted to hop in and thank everyone for all the tips and information, you really made it easy for me. You all rawk.

EDIT: Second attempt: 2.0 ohms.

Last edited:

1buda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I want to be a master builder! Lego movie reference, which rocked btw.

One of the guys at my local B&M has that gizmo in the OP's video. Said he got it at Michaels for $10. I've been meaning to stop by and get one, but with all this snow I've been quite busy.

I wonder if he bought it online? I have go in to town and stop by Michaels to see it they have them in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread