Can't figure out what's going wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbieVap

Sep 9, 2012
new york
I recieved a smok rsst , and it's my first rba . I'm using organic cotton with 32 awg kanthol . I've built what seems to be successfully 3-4 times , the first , second , third drags taste great , amazing vapor production , but then slowly it tastes more and more burnt until i pop off the top cap and the cotton is getting burnt by the coil , I tried tighter coils , looser coils , giving it time to wick , vaping with the drip plug in / out , tightly twisted cotton , loose cotton to the point i just point the end and pull the rest of the cotton through the coil , all to no avail.Regardless what I do the cotton keeps ending up getting burnt by the coils . I'm not sure what I'm missing , should i let the cotton go all the way down to the bottom of the tank ? Barely in the tank ? MUCH MUCH looser as to where theres almost no pressure of the cotton against the inside of the coils? ( my coils are registering 2.6-2.9 ohms ) Wish I could solve this . If it worked like the first 1-4 drags it would be incredible . any advice or other builds to try with cotton ?

RobbieVap

Sep 9, 2012
new york
photo.jpg

Again , first few drags amazing . A closer look ( I can take another picture if it'd help ) You can see the coil imprint on the cotton , dripped some juice onto the wick and let it sit for 5 minutes , and the same thing . Even giving it a minute with some tilting inbetween drags . I'm vaping at 7-8 watts , god forbid I go higher my chest would erupt in flames.

Edit * Sorry it's oriented sideways. As for having it to rewick every few drags .. that's unfortunate if that's the reason why . I've been giving it adequate time in-between and it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I don't know . Maybe I'm not waiting long enough . I rewicked my Protank with cotton and never had the issue , I supposed because the juice is literally engulfing the cotton at all times -_-

Last edited:

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
wrap looks good- any hot legs?

I always have issues using straight cotton on a RBA- once it soaks it starts to sag and you get hot spots. My go to method on genny types is ss rope with eko wool sleeve. Do whatever you want and it won't dry hit.

thats what i use in my geneys

cotton never lasted me more then a week before having to be replaced ,,and it needs to be in juice 100% of the time so make it go to the bottom of the tank

Rosco P. Coltrane

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2013
USA
I've used a micro coil/cotton setup at around 1.5 ohm with good success on my genny. Took a couple tries to get it just right....very very loose cotton, as it swells quite a bit.

Even then if I take too long of a drag it will burn. The only plus side is if that happens I just pull the cotton up through the coil, clip off the burned area and get right back to vaping.

SS works better, but I prefer the taste of cotton.

bulldog63h

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Elizabethton Tennessee
Advice that someone else gave me, use less cotton. Looking at your picture, you shouldn't have to use much less. The cotton needs to be able to slide into the coil with almost no resistance. When the cotton gets wet, it will swell a little. Yes, make the wick long enough to go all the way down into the tank. My wick darkens fairly quickly at the top, but it doesn't taste bad. I've been changing it out every day, even though it doesn't taste bad. Keep trying with less and less cotton and you'll find the sweet spot. I hope you can get it sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread