CVS glycerin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddy611

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
Chicago, IL USA
stop by at CVS last night and bought CVS pure glycerin(6 oz. for $5) before heading to my sister's house. did a 50/50 mix of 11mg coffee. at first it was awesome, good amount of vapor. vaping and driving at the same time and after 10-15 minutes, i started to get sick. like im about to throw up. i went back to the regular chinese juice and i was feeling fine:confused::confused: when i was at my sister's house, one of her neighbor came up to me and started asking about my homemade 5v box. told her all about and showed her my juices. she saw my CVS glycerin and said "dont tell me you're vaping this?" and i said "yeah but it started to make me sick" and she just bust out laughing her .... off.... basically she said no wonder you're about to puke, you're inhaling skincare product8-o8-o8-o8-o she's a vegan and she uses vegetable glycerin for baking all the time. told me to buy food grade vegetable glycerin, not skincare product. im gonna stop by at wholefoods tomorrow and get some food grade vegetable glycerin.....

Last edited:

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
Don't get food grade, either, get USP, it's the cleanest out there. It won't say "vegetable" then, though, USP guidelines, read the sticky right above this thread. It probably will be vegetable, though.

And the question is not, is this particular Glycerin sold as food stuff or skincare stuff. Question is, how pure is it. The less byproducts, the better, and then you can use that for food or for skin care or for vaping.

jaydawgg

Feb 28, 2010
Ohio
jaydawgg.ath.cx
If it says USP United States Pharmacopeia The United States Pharmacopeial Convention then it doesnt matter where you get it

I got my pg at a farm and tractor supply store and they use it for Ketosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But its the same stuff that you get in your juice as long as they use USP

I know a pharmacist and he said the standsrds for USP are strict.

But be careful there are only a couple ways they can be certified with the proper label. check usp to see if your product is labeled correctly and is truely "ENDORSED"

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Here is my opinion, which I am sure is in direct opposition to the views of the big shots running this forum.

1) VG and PG have in the past been contaminated (court cases failed to prove intentional wrong doing) and has caused grave harm to people.
2) Contaminated VG and PG have been found (and I'm not talking about the stupid FDA test) in products such as counterfeit toothpaste, and mouthwashes, and removed form the market.
3) VG and PG are manufactured in tanker truck sized lots, subdivided, and subdivided and repackaged, and etc.
4) Glycerin CAN BE purely from a vegetable source, animal fat source, and produced synthetically, with ALL the molecules being EXACTLY the same (per the chemistacal experts). Remember that, EXACTLY the same.
5) USP grade is a % requirement with the remainder unknown stuff.
6) Food grade (FCC Food Grade) can only come from USP grade.
7) A manufacturer can state that their Glycerin generally comes from vegetable sources (unless there is a supply issue, then they can substitute synthetic Glycerin, at their discretion). Remember it is EXACTLY the same.
8) If a company that deals with tanker truck size lots would like to save some bucks, would they be more likely to substitute Industrial Grade stuff into a shipment of :
A-Glycerin to be used to rub on cow butts?
B-Glycerin to be used to rub on baby butts?
C-Or Glycerin to be used to make candy and cake icing?
Which has the best chance of going unnoticed?
What, that can't do that, that would be illegal.
What you mean is, they shouldn't do that, again please.

I have tried Glycerin, from a manufacturer that stated "most likely all their Glycerin was from vegetable sources" and got sick to my stomach.
I am terribly sorry, but I won't even go to the feed store and try USP Cow .... Glycerin, even though it is EXACTLY the same. Sorry, the risk of a contaminated lot not intended for consumption, may not get recalled for something that would make it unfit for consumption. Even if it is EXACTLY the same this time, what about next time?

USP, fine, FCC food grade, that's me, Kosher (certified by a reputable and actively monitored organization, not one of those pencil whipping organizations) Certified Vegetable Glycerin is ALL I USE, PERIOD.

Sorry is this upsets anyone that feels differently, but $7 or $8 a pint is not too much for just a little comfort.

For you other folks the upset stomach will pass, don't sweat it because, remember it's
EXACTLY the same.

The Rocketman

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Here is my opinion, which I am sure is in direct opposition to the views of the big shots running this forum.

1) VG and PG have in the past been contaminated (court cases failed to prove intentional wrong doing) and has caused grave harm to people.
2) Contaminated VG and PG have been found (and I'm not talking about the stupid FDA test) in products such as counterfeit toothpaste, and mouthwashes, and removed form the market.
3) VG and PG are manufactured in tanker truck sized lots, subdivided, and subdivided and repackaged, and etc.
4) Glycerin CAN BE purely from a vegetable source, animal fat source, and produced synthetically, with ALL the molecules being EXACTLY the same (per the chemistacal experts). Remember that, EXACTLY the same.
5) USP grade is a % requirement with the remainder unknown stuff.
6) Food grade (FCC Food Grade) can only come from USP grade.
7) A manufacturer can state that their Glycerin generally comes from vegetable sources (unless there is a supply issue, then they can substitute synthetic Glycerin, at their discretion). Remember it is EXACTLY the same.
8) If a company that deals with tanker truck size lots would like to save some bucks, would they be more likely to substitute Industrial Grade stuff into a shipment of :
A-Glycerin to be used to rub on cow butts?
B-Glycerin to be used to rub on baby butts?
C-Or Glycerin to be used to make candy and cake icing?
Which has the best chance of going unnoticed?
What, that can't do that, that would be illegal.
What you mean is, they shouldn't do that, again please.

I have tried Glycerin, from a manufacturer that stated "most likely all their Glycerin was from vegetable sources" and got sick to my stomach.
I am terribly sorry, but I won't even go to the feed store and try USP Cow .... Glycerin, even though it is EXACTLY the same. Sorry, the risk of a contaminated lot not intended for consumption, may not get recalled for something that would make it unfit for consumption. Even if it is EXACTLY the same this time, what about next time?

USP, fine, FCC food grade, that's me, Kosher (certified by a reputable and actively monitored organization, not one of those pencil whipping organizations) Certified Vegetable Glycerin is ALL I USE, PERIOD.

Sorry is this upsets anyone that feels differently, but $7 or $8 a pint is not too much for just a little comfort.

For you other folks the upset stomach will pass, don't sweat it because, remember it's
EXACTLY the same.

The Rocketman
What amazes me the most is the frugality I see sometimes, where folks are trying to find the cheapest (but safest product) but never batted an eye or gave a second thought what they were spending on analogs, or when taxes on them increased.

This thread was edited beyond recognition. Why I don't know because the information that it contained was very much along the aforementioned concerns, and an important safety issue IMHO.

This in no way is meant to be an attack against the OP, but should at least cause concern for others. All was well until juice was made with these products. The product was delivered with MSDS sheets, when was the last time folks received their PG/VG with MSDS sheets. I sure don't receive any when I buy it from the local drug store etc...

The product in question came from here, if one looks closely at the other product that is being sold there, it would definitely not be on my top 5 sites.

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
Rocketman, nobody is going to get upset with you not wanting to vape Glycerin meant for external use on animals or humans, or derived from animals. Still, even Kosher grade is only 99.7% pure at most as far as I've seen.

This thread was edited beyond recognition. Why I don't know because the information that it contained was very much along the aforementioned concerns, and an important safety issue IMHO.
The posts deleted were off topic discussion of another post in another part of the forum.

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So is there any definitive conclusion about the safest or purest of all the different sources for VG?

I have the CVS USP and while I don't use it 50/50, I do use it 10% to 20% with PG and I have had no sickness.

Have I been lucky or is there really a possibility that all this is somehow really different grades/purity?

How do we know where all the juice manufacturers get theirs? I mean they must use it in a lot larger volume than we do with our 3ml per day juice use.

If seems that the nicotine we all use has a lot more potential for creating problems...we do get a little of it in our mouths and on our hands from time to time.

I'm thinking that the 50/50 mix is too strong for some bodies to deal with, no matter what grade of VG is used.

Sorry I don't have any answers on this, just questions.

garyd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
idaho
I use the Humco glycerine from Walmart. I contacted Humco and they told me this glycerine is vegetable based, here's the MSDS from the Humco site:
http://www.humco.com/assets/pdf/1031-Glycerin.pdf

Just a side note, the label states: Skin soak and Aromatherapy bath.

aro·ma·thera·py (ə rō′mə t̸her′ə pē)

noun

the use of aromatic oils from herbs, flowers, etc. for their supposed therapeutic effects when applied to the skin, as in massage, or when the scent is inhaled

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Rocketman, nobody is going to get upset with you not wanting to vape Glycerin meant for external use on animals or humans, or derived from animals. Still, even Kosher grade is only 99.7% pure at most as far as I've seen.

The posts deleted were off topic discussion of another post in another part of the forum.
Not all of it was unrelated I am sorry. The deleted posts did contain some valuable information wrt safety. e.g the part about ordering from an Industrial Chemical Plant.

IMHO opinion that tidbit was very much germane to the discussion.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
So is there any definitive conclusion about the safest or purest of all the different sources for VG?

I have the CVS USP and while I don't use it 50/50, I do use it 10% to 20% with PG and I have had no sickness.

Have I been lucky or is there really a possibility that all this is somehow really different grades/purity?

How do we know where all the juice manufacturers get theirs? I mean they must use it in a lot larger volume than we do with our 3ml per day juice use.

If seems that the nicotine we all use has a lot more potential for creating problems...we do get a little of it in our mouths and on our hands from time to time.

I'm thinking that the 50/50 mix is too strong for some bodies to deal with, no matter what grade of VG is used.

Sorry I don't have any answers on this, just questions.

Does anyone digest what they read any more?

Anyone remember the Tylenol scare, well it can happen to anything and delivered by the most safe and sterile facility on this planet. Having said that... the latter was totally unrelated.

The OP bought Glycerin from a drug store, without taken the time to read the label. She happened to find this in the hand lotion section, probably not the best place to buy it from (hand lotion section). Because it can be used as hand lotion, it is often where it is stored on shelves e.g Wallmart.

I bought my VG (USP) from the grocery store in the baking section, it is also available at my local pharmacy, as well as PG (mind you PG must be ordered). I don't remember which isle it was in at the pharmacy, but it definitely not with the moisturizer.

The gist, some folks just go after the cheapest they can find or in areas that are deemed well... grocery stores and pharmacy who stock USP PG or VG are a pretty safe bet.

WRT vendors, they wouldn't be in business very long if they use/used sub-standard or faulty product. A satisfied customer is a repeat customer. A dis-satisfied customer can snowball into many hundreds.

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Does anyone digest what they read any more?

The gist, some folks just go after the cheapest they can find or in areas that are deemed well... grocery stores and pharmacy who stock USP PG or VG are a pretty safe bet.

WRT vendors, they wouldn't be in business very long if they use/used sub-standard or faulty product. A satisfied customer is a repeat customer. A dis-satisfied customer can snowball into many hundreds.

I personally do not look for the cheapest or the most expensive when shopping for products that affect my body.
I look for what it is composed of, under what conditions/quality control it is manufactured, packaged, and delivered.
I bought the VG I currently use at CVS (a pharmacy with food and beauty products) and it was the only VG I could find in the entire store not caring what isle it was on, it is labeled USP which is what was recommended.
I was in there picking up the PG they ordered for me (pharmaceutical grade).
So, are you saying that as long as it has USP label on it, it is, in your opinion, correct or are you saying that because it was not found in the correct isle and has USP on it that is NOT the best or wisest for vaping?

In addition, the bit about WRT vendors not being in business for long if they aren't careful with their quality control is, unfortunately, not supported historically with fact. i.e. milk in China, acelerators by Toyota, Tylenol, dog food, peanut butter, hamburger and the list goes on.

All of these companies have loyal, supportive customers. They also had some customers who had legitimate concerns that led to uncovering some questionable practices and/or suppliers the company never thought to question themselves.

I will be looking for a replacement for the CVS USP VG and perhaps it will come from a supplier via ECF.

mmkeebler

Feb 27, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Took a trip to the local CVS today. If and when you are unsure of anything at a CVS, take it to the pharmacist on duty. They can help you with the facts of a product.

Post 106 here also goes in depth about Glycerin: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/11399-vegetable-glycerin-vs-humco-glycerin-warning-11.html#post576570

I highly recommend that everyone do their own research and talk to their own pharmacist about these things. Do you know us? On here? I know some of the forum members are really really into the research. But do you trust them? With your life?

Please don't take this to be rude. It isn't. But, this is something we are putting into our bodies. Unless there is a doctor on this board, willing to say something and put that doctor tag and how to contact him if something goes wrong... ... ... do your own research :)

Last edited:

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I personally do not look for the cheapest or the most expensive when shopping for products that affect my body.
I look for what it is composed of, under what conditions/quality control it is manufactured, packaged, and delivered.
I bought the VG I currently use at CVS (a pharmacy with food and beauty products) and it was the only VG I could find in the entire store not caring what isle it was on, it is labeled USP which is what was recommended.
I was in there picking up the PG they ordered for me (pharmaceutical grade).
So, are you saying that as long as it has USP label on it, it is, in your opinion, correct or are you saying that because it was not found in the correct isle and has USP on it that is NOT the best or wisest for vaping?

In addition, the bit about WRT vendors not being in business for long if they aren't careful with their quality control is, unfortunately, not supported historically with fact. i.e. milk in China, acelerators by Toyota, Tylenol, dog food, peanut butter, hamburger and the list goes on.

All of these companies have loyal, supportive customers. They also had some customers who had legitimate concerns that led to uncovering some questionable practices and/or suppliers the company never thought to question themselves.

I will be looking for a replacement for the CVS USP VG and perhaps it will come from a supplier via ECF.
.... and you probably voted democrat.;)

The reason I get my knickers in a twist is that folks will balk at the mere mention of some compound that could be found in the liquid we vape. On one thread in particular the data provided required a Kg to kill a mouse. How many Kgs does it take to kill a human?

What about the formaldehyde we ingested all these years not to mention ammonia and the other 3998 + chemicals and carcinogens for which we have no clue what they did besides walking us closer to our grave.

Yet where folks wouldn't even think twice about a carton of cigs going up $10, bi... about paying an extra dollar for a safer X whatever. Give me a break!

Last edited:

garyd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
idaho
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-vs-humco-glycerin-warning-14.html#post733134

Oh oh, one of our users did claim Pharmacist :eek:) Even more explanation there in that post. :eek:) Good luck.
Good post, I remember reading this before. Here's my favorite part of that post, and I quote "I'm a pharmacist. All OTC glycerine,USP is made by 1 single manufacturer, HUMCO. It is then contract packaged into the different pharmacy labeled bottles. I've personally called HUMCO and spoke with their QA(quality assurance) person. He assured me that HUMCO's Glycerine is in fact Vegetable source Glycerine".
Enough said as far as I'm concerned.

jmathers

Verified Member
Also please read the sticky in the DIY e-Liquids section of the Tips and Tricks forum by SmokeyJoe. Pretty much says that USP Glycerin from a drug store IS vegetable glycerin and is more pure than any Kosher or health food store glycerin since it must adhere to a more stringent manufacturing standard.

I'd link directly to it but I don't have enough posts yet.:confused:

I can't explain your symptoms but they are unlikely related to impure CVS glycerin - USP glycerin is vegetable glycerin.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread