Kanger Protank II rebuild with cotton wick gurgling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb29

Dec 30, 2013
Augusta, ME
Hi all,

I've been trolling the forums for some time, I've been vaping for about 2 months now. I recently purchased a ProTank II and ProTank mini and I love them! When I read about rebuilding the coils I was even more excited to be able to save some money from buying replacement heads.

Anyway, I rebuilt a coil with 32 gauge Kanthal and a cotton wick (reads 2.1 ohms on my Innokin MVP 2), but when I vape there is a definite gurgling sound and little flecks of juice that come though the mouthpiece (yuck!) I was wondering about any troubleshooting advice anyone might have, since I LOVE LOVE LOVE the taste I get from cotton vs the stock silica. Thanks!

Hey jb29, welcome to ECF. Do you have the silicone grommet on the post of the coil? It sounds like your coil is being flooded with too much liquid. Cotton wicks very well, so you may need a bit more cotton on top of your coil to close up the wick holes a little more. There is a very fine line between flooding and dry hits with these things. Post a close up picture of the coil head if you can.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Just thought about this again, and another thing that may be causing this is too hard of a draw. Nice and slow is what has worked best for me. I'm new to the forum as well, but have been vaping for about 6 months now, and I've been through a lot of different setups trying to find what works best for me without too much fiddling. The most consistent setup I have found so far is a carto tank with single coil 2 ohm 2 hole smoketech, or boge cartomizers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
Yep, agreed with the above posters. Try using more cotton! I rebuild mine the same way, and they can handle the cotton. Be sure that you prime the cotton wicks with a lot of juice before vaping it, and let the filled tank and wicks soak for a little bit before vaping as well. It really needs to soak in or you could fry the cotton. Try using a little flavor wick on top as well. That usually prevents flooding and gurgling for me.

rx8man1987

Dec 15, 2013
usa
When wicking your cotton, make sure when you pull it through your coil it gets a bit snug.. Not too tight though.. If you move your coil, you have too much in there... Just snug.. You want the cotton to expand a little bit around the coil.

Also try a flavor wick. I use 100%cotton yarn Unravel it and use a single strand. You just set this on top of your coil. That may help to.

Dan_

Sep 12, 2013
UK
I had the same issue with my PT2 after my first rewicking attempt yesterday. This...

It takes some experimenting to find the right amount of cotton to use when you first try cotton. Sounds as if you're using too little cotton or your flavor wicks are too loose /thin.

...was the problem. Thicker wick and a flavour wick stopped the gurgling (the juice is quite thin at 80/20 PG/VG).

You could also try backing off the tank a little bit to loosen up the draw/increase airflow.

jb29

Dec 30, 2013
Augusta, ME
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think the problem was partially due to a hard draw (since I never had a problem with it on a stock head), and not letting the cotton absorb enough. on my second rewicking I added some flavor wick and am currently vaping some 80/20 juice that I use to test (since I'm not as fond of this flavor and losing half a tank isn't a big deal). will the flavor wick impede vapor production for the rest of my juices which are all either 50/50 or 65/35?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread