Why hasn't Provari upgraded to a VV/VW unit yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidAmonettNashville

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2014
Nashville,Tn
I personally do not use the VW feature on my MVP2 but I'm kinda a numbers geek so I have no trouble with Volts X Volts / Ohms gives me the wattage but for others, particularly newcomers, I think VW is a superior format. VW devices take the guesswork out and insure a steady and consistent experience. Having said all this I wonder why Provari, The acknowledged leader in the PV universe, Hasn't upgraded their chipset to accommodate the need? (Plz don't attack me for asking the question. I have no beef with Team Provari :))

Paksoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
VW would be nice ... OLED screen would be cool too. If and when VW happens, the classifieds will get quite a few owners selling their older versions so they can upgrade, I know I will. Provari may even offer a board upgrade program for current users so they can update their older versions.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
You would have to ask Provape why. Might have something to do with their consistent Voltage outlook. To me it's no big deal, sure VW would be a convenience, but I just crank the Provari up till I get an E2 error and then dial it down .1 volt and vape at maximum watt output which on my current build works out to 15.6 watts. If they ever do an upgrade, I imagine they will offer it to current owners like they did when they had their last upgrade.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Paksoy:11857249 said:
VW would be nice ... OLED screen would be cool too. If and when VW happens, the classifieds will get quite a few owners selling their older versions so they can upgrade, I know I will. Provari may even offer a board upgrade program for current users so they can update their older versions.

Why? Battery gets drained quicker.. and if you're putting different atomizers on, you should change your settings, regardless if vv or vw.

And the LED screen is one edge I'd give to the provari over the semovar. oLED screens are prone to damage from liquid spills/user error.

Paksoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Been discussed to death. The last go-round was here. => http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provari/499111-there-variable-wattage-provari-works.html

VW is largely a solution in search of a problem. You have to weigh all the other things a Provari does right/well in the context of whether VW really matters.

Regarding the desire for an OLED display: That display was chosen and continues to be used because you can't kill it. Not easily, unlike an OLED.

I have weighed all the other things a Provari does right. This is why I own 3 of them. But I'd still like to have VW, and I'm certain that I'm not the only Provari owner who would like this feature.

As for the OLED, it's not a deal breaker for me. It is as I stated, a "nice to have" ... at least for me ... regardless if it's more killable.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I don't know why... I don't care either. I'm fine with just having VV...I set it to whatever ohm coil I build and thats that. I did the same thing on a VW device...certain juices aren't on board with the set it and forget it theory. I'm fine with the screen too...they use it because it's the most durable out there. The militarty seems to like it as well.
Here's what I wish....A flat top, adjustable center pin and adjustable air flow. That tapered top bugs the crap out of me. So bad I spent $60 on rings that couldn't cost 2 bucks to make. I do think ProVari owners are pretty content with only VV but ProVape would sell a bunch more units if they offered one with VW. It seems like it's important to many folks. They should do it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I can't speak for Provape, so everything that I say here is purely my personal opinion. I've been a fan of the Provari for one and a half years. I have two standard size and one mini.

Why more than one you ask? Well, I purchased two myself and my most recent one was a gift. If you follow the Provari sub-forum you've noticed that a great many owners own more than one. Even though the Provari has a great track record of being a very dependable and durable mod, I don't think any of us could stand to be without our Provari in the rare event that it should require to be sent back to the Maker for repair. Therefore, a backup Provari for the primary one is nearly a must have. We all have other mods as backups, but if they aren't a Provari, its just not the same. :)

Only one of my mods has VW, and I never use that function on it. All of my juice attachments are purchased in a standard/high resistance, so even when I change tanks I don't have to worry about changing the voltage because of a difference in ohm ratings. I change flavors frequently throughout the day, and I adjust the voltage accordingly for each flavor's sweet spot. VW would not help me with this, in fact it would be a hinderence as I would still be making an adjustment in VW mode. Not everyone wants or needs VW.

Provape has been selling Provari's as fast as they can produce them for almost 3 years now. They make a very simple and basic VV mod which does what it does extremely well. It is built with attention to detail. It is known to be one of the most accurate and precise mods in delivering power to the atomizer using variable voltage; an industry leader and gold standard example.

If you follow PBusardo's in-depth video reviews, he does extremely detailed tests and graphs of all the mods he reviews. I've noticed that many of the mods are pretty accurate in VV mode, but the ones which have VW ability often fall in accuracy when in that mode. Just my opinion, but perhaps the design team at Provape do not believe VW is an accurate method of delivering electrical output.

Regardless, I am of the group of people who believe VW is only another way to get to the same place. I've read of people who have purchased a VW mod specifically for that function, and who then learned it wasn't so "set it and forget it" as advertized. Many of these people went back to using the VV function.

Last edited:

Paksoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Why? Battery gets drained quicker.. and if you're putting different atomizers on, you should change your settings, regardless if vv or vw.

Why? Because some Provari owners would actually like to have this function. As for battery life, if that mattered to me, I wouldn't have purchased 3 mini's.

DavidAmonettNashville

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2014
Nashville,Tn
If you follow PBusardo's in-depth video reviews, he does extremely detailed tests and graphs of all the mods he reviews. Many of the mods are pretty accurate in VV mode, but the ones which have VW ability often fall in accuracy when in that mode. Just my opinion, but perhaps the design team at Provape do not believe VW is an accurate method of delivering electrical output..
I have seen units perform lackluster in VW mode in Busardo's tests (the mvp2 slipped a little) and you may very well have put your finger on the answer when you say, " perhaps the design team at Provape do not believe VW is an accurate method of delivering electrical output" Thank you for proffering an answer to my original question. I was half afraid to even post for fear folks would get angry or overly defensive about the issue. Again, thanks for a solid hypothesis..

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
.. and if you're putting different atomizers on, you should change your settings, regardless if vv or vw.

umm, yeah, no.! On my VW device I just leave it cranked at max watt output and leave it at that regardless of which atomizer I have on it, and the only reason I need to change the settings on the Provari is when my ohms are different on the builds in the atomizer I am using, so I have to adjust it to get max watt output. Fortunatley the builds on the two rba's that I use on the Provari have the same ohms so don't currently have to mess with the settings.

bulldog63h

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Elizabethton Tennessee
Even if provape did make a vw provari, I wouldn't want to "upgrade." Even when I was using the vw function on my svd, I was constantly changing wattage. The provari is far more accurate as well. As the battery drained in my svd, I had to up the wattage/voltage to get the same vape I did from a fully charged battery. The provari delivers the same voltage until the last bit of useable power from the battery is gone. As to an answer to your initial question, why fix it if it ain't broke?

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
Even if provape did make a vw provari, I wouldn't want to "upgrade." Even when I was using the vw function on my svd, I was constantly changing wattage. The provari is far more accurate as well. As the battery drained in my svd, I had to up the wattage/voltage to get the same vape I did from a fully charged battery. The provari delivers the same voltage until the last bit of useable power from the battery is gone. As to an answer to your initial question, why fix it if it ain't broke?

I use a Kick2 in my mechanical ELA and it gives the same vape until the battery needs charging.... I will upgrade if you build a VW Provari;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread