New to RDA - Wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

espkh123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Bel Air, MD, USA
Im getting my nemesis with a patriot rda in a few days.
Yes... clones! Gotta love em'.
Anyways since I am new and wanting to learn as quickly as possible figured I would post this.

I plan on running a sub-ohm setup at around .5 - .8ohms.
Going to use a cotton wick as well.

What kind of wire should I get for the coils.

I hear everyone recommend Kanthal wiring but in different gauges and such.

If that is the setup I plan on running, what is the recommended wiring + gauge I should use.

Remember I am new so any other advice you can give would be helpful.

NOTE: I am sticking to those ohms because out of other people's PVs, those are what I found the best for what I like.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
I use 28 awg Kanthal for all my builds from .5-2 ohms, works well for me and have been quite happy with it. You'll love the Nemi clone, as long as it is the Hcigar model. rda and rba clones, not so much. Real deals are the best deals when it comes to an atomizer.

28 AWG wire will work well, but you might want to get samples of 26, 28, and 30 gauge to find what you like best. Hopefully you have an atomizer ohm meter or multi meter and have done the research on battery safety, care and recommendations. If you are going sub ohm would recommend using only IMR or hybrid batteries with a 30 amp ratting.

Jumping into rba's and mech's without having a good foundation of building and the appropriate support gear can be hazardous to your health, home and family.

VapoJoe86

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2012
Indiana
I use 30g kanthal for my builds (bought 200ft of the stuff for ~10 bucks) and it works out quite well for me. I would strongly recommend getting a couple MNKE IMR batteries rated for 30 amps continuous discharge to be safe, and ALWAYS check your resistance using a PV with a built-in ohmmeter (or invest in a multimeter) before firing any of your builds on a mechanical. Also, if I was you I would not use any builds under .6 ohms. In addition to this, you need to make sure you're not over discharging your batteries. I recommend swapping your battery out every couple hours or so to avoid this problem. Just my two cents, I strongly suggest you do your own research on the subject before proceeding though!

EDIT: I also recommend you use cotton wick for these sub-ohm builds! You won't regret it.

Last edited:

espkh123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Bel Air, MD, USA
EDIT: I also recommend you use cotton wick for these sub-ohm builds! You won't regret it.

I bought a bag of 100% all natural cotton from CVS not too long ago for this purpose.
One question I have is should I boil it?
It doesn't say STERILE on it at all, but it does say 100% natural. So unless it is falsely advertised, it shouldn't of have been bleached or anything to give color. There is no odor to it at all, in fact it has no smell.

Exile

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
Dallas,Tx

VapoJoe86

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2012
Indiana
I bought a bag of 100% all natural cotton from CVS not too long ago for this purpose.
One question I have is should I boil it?
It doesn't say STERILE on it at all, but it does say 100% natural. So unless it is falsely advertised, it shouldn't of have been bleached or anything to give color. There is no odor to it at all, in fact it has no smell.

I use organic cotton balls (does not say sterile) that I picked up at Walgreen's for pretty cheap, and I do not boil them mainly because it is a hassle (boil for 15 min in distilled water, rinse, boil another 15 min, rinse, dry for 24 hours- no thanks!). Some people insist on boiling, but I've been using these unboiled for months now and never had a single issue with taste or anything else and I haven't died or developed any respiratory infections. So no, IMO you do not have to boil but some people say it helps remove any kind of "cotton taste" that may be present and it obviously sterilizes the cotton. It can't hurt to boil, but I don't think it hurts to not boil either. This is just my opinion based on my personal experiences.

VapoJoe86

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2012
Indiana
I use organic cotton from walgreens. I never boil it and have had no issues. It says on the bag that its bleached with hydrogen peroxide, but the doctors have injected that stuff into my stepdad so it can't be that bad. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'm glad I'm not the only one not boiling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread