Status
Not open for further replies.

espkh123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Bel Air, MD, USA
My thoughts on this issue are this.

I constantly vape where smoking isn't allowed.

I am a new but heavy vaper as I used to smoke a pack a day.

Story time!

I was at Physical Therapy getting my leg and ankle worked on and casually pulled out my vape. I didn't stealth vape or anything. I was on limited sleep also so I didn't really think about it.
I was vaping my vanilla gelato juice which smells amazing.
I had 2 people come up to me and tell me how they loved the smell.
My Physical Therapist asked me what it was.
Told her about it and explained why it is better and helped me quit.
Asked to smell it so I blew it in her face (upon permission ofc...)
She loved it too and asked me if I could bring it more often as it smelled like a vanilla candle lol.
Not once have I been asked to put it away, as of yet!
I have been confronted by management in retail locations and other environments where smoking isn't allowed who ask what I am doing.
I explain how it helped me quit smoking and is saving my life and they have no complaints, they usually ask if a customer complains it has to go (or go to where no one can see - their words).

Lesson to be learned here is simple: Vape where you want to, be compliant with management (if asked to not do it there or follow their regulations do so! Or you can explain it and see if they change their minds), and be respectful by using common sense.:vapor::vapor:

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
I,personally, don't like to push the envelope. I have seen people who blow huge clouds in weird places like a small store or in a resteraunt..i just shake my head. The thing about doing that is you might attract negativity to vaping, if there are ignorant or people who are uneducated about vaping...they might not realize that this device is saving your life and they may stur up a bit of a scene. I vape where smoking is allowed, unless its a large department store or something then I can sneak into an isle and get a vape. ddv

espkh123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Bel Air, MD, USA
I,personally, don't like to push the envelope. I have seen people who blow huge clouds in weird places like a small store or in a resteraunt..i just shake my head. The thing about doing that is you might attract negativity to vaping, if there are ignorant or people who are uneducated about vaping...they might not realize that this device is saving your life and they may stur up a bit of a scene. I vape where smoking is allowed, unless its a large department store or something then I can sneak into an isle and get a vape. ddv

I have seen some people do that too out of their RDA's with low ohms. It gets annoying.
When I go out in public I just use a kanger tank with an itaste battery. I don't get huge clouds.
I've started just carrying around business cards to the local shop with me because most of the people who say anything to me are smokers.

ericm12121977

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Tulsa, OK
It's a double edged sword to each and everyone of us. For the fighter/warrior inside of me as a retired Army soldier, I believe in fighting for your rights no matter the ramifications. Yes we are all afraid of upsetting people, but more and more we are being "CONTROLLED" by ignorance. Yes it is true that we don't know all the health concerns associated with vaping, we don't have billion's and billion's of dollars to put into the extensive testing our so called governments want to put everything through and try to pass it off as "for our own safety". Well guess what? We as a human race would never have amounted to a hill of beans let alone the dominating species unless we made the choices that have led us this far in life. You can live life to the fullest and question every decision someone else is making for you, or you can fall in line and never experience life.

Vaping saved my wifes life. I don't care the outcome if someone get's upset about it because it is our choice. I respect others rights but at the same time, if I am walking down a sidewalk outside and get verbally assaulted about vaping, then I tell them the truth and try to fill them in. But you can't educate the ignorant no matter how hard you try. You can only live your life by your own choices and live with the consequences. Live for something or die for nothing!

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
Being obvious and blowing clouds where you are not allowed to smoke just because you can, is IMHO the absolute worst thing a vaper can do.

I am all for stealth vaping respectfully, and do that any chance I get, but these people that think that just because they can (for now), that they should make it super obvious to everyone else in public, are quite literally destroying the fabric of what made vaping so great up until now.

The best part about vaping to me? The ability to vape and get your nicotine fix WITHOUT being obvious about it.

Now we have all these people that vape with the sole purpose to BE OBVIOUS...

I am all for anyones right to vape, but there is a growing crowd of "no-nic cloud blowers" that never smoked, and don't NEED or use nicotine, they just want to blow huge clouds inside COSTCO for absolutely no reason.

These are the people that are going to bring the ban hammer and legislation to us faster than your coil can heat up....

People that don't even really have a reason to vape in the first place, are a bigger influence on the general public and government then those of us that have had our lives saved by it, that is sad.

This is the beginning of the end of vaping as we old schoolers knew it...

Last edited:

ericm12121977

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2013
Tulsa, OK
I agree with Jameth. Welcome the "Time-Out" generation. They are all special because mommy or daddy told them so. They don't need a reason to do it other then they saw some douche-nozzle on youtube do it and they want to follow whatever trend is "hip". Original thought is out the window, thinking for one's own self has gone the way of the dodo bird. But hey, we get to look forward to retirement when these kids are taking care of us.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    It's a double edged sword to each and everyone of us. For the fighter/warrior inside of me as a retired Army soldier, I believe in fighting for your rights no matter the ramifications. Yes we are all afraid of upsetting people, but more and more we are being "CONTROLLED" by ignorance. Yes it is true that we don't know all the health concerns associated with vaping, we don't have billion's and billion's of dollars to put into the extensive testing our so called governments want to put everything through and try to pass it off as "for our own safety". Well guess what? We as a human race would never have amounted to a hill of beans let alone the dominating species unless we made the choices that have led us this far in life. You can live life to the fullest and question every decision someone else is making for you, or you can fall in line and never experience life.

Vaping saved my wifes life. I don't care the outcome if someone get's upset about it because it is our choice. I respect others rights but at the same time, if I am walking down a sidewalk outside and get verbally assaulted about vaping, then I tell them the truth and try to fill them in. But you can't educate the ignorant no matter how hard you try. You can only live your life by your own choices and live with the consequences. Live for something or die for nothing!

I wish I could like this a thousand more times. Completely agree 10000%:thumbs:

espkh123

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Bel Air, MD, USA
    I haven't really elaborate on how I vape yet.
    Like I said, for public where it is a grey area like store, I use my VV / tank setup.
    I dont blow clouds like I do when I am driving or writing this reply. I blow out slow (so the vapor evaporates quicker) but not a complete stealth vape. If I am in line or standing somewhere where little kids are around, I seldom stealth vape but usually i never do it.
    Sometimes I blow it out normal since it isnt a big cloud such as a sub-ohm mech.
    My mechanical will be used when I am not out in public. It will be used where vaping is common and accepted though in public places.

espkh123

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 6, 2014
    Bel Air, MD, USA

First off, thank you for your service.
    Second off, I couldn't agree more. I don't see (god I had to use this as an example but I gotta) people walking up to fat people at McDonalds saying how unhealthy their lifestyle is. At least I never do. But as I said, when I get questioned in public I explain it.
    The only question I hate is "Well then why dont you quit that too?". The research shows that this is no more dangerous than drinking soda. I love me a good soda and a good vape. We all need to live for ourselves and shed light upon ignorance to develop.

Used that example because I am a big guy... I can say that!

wv2win

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 10, 2009
    GA by way of WV
    Many of us take the approach (basically already described in this thread) to vape openly most places (not all) but respectfully and with common sense. Self regulating ourselves to smoking sections only re-enforces the perception that smoking and vaping are the same thing, which is the exact wrong perception we want to encourage. The more non-smokers who encounter vapers in public, realize it is not the same as smoking and find the vaper to be respectful in how they vape, the more positive impressions we will leave. If the only time someone sees a person vaping is in a smoking area, they will see vaping as just the same as smoking and want it banned/highly restricted.

And it is incumbent on all of us to be well educated on what vaping is and is not and be prepared to educate the uninformed. CASAA has some very handy small business cards that you can give to those who have questions if you are reluctant to explain it yourself. Here is the link:

http://shop.casaa.org/CASAA-E-cigarette-Information-Cards-casaacards.htm

Last edited:

Baldr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Being obvious and blowing clouds where you are not allowed to smoke just because you can, is IMHO the absolute worst thing a vaper can do.

I think I could make a pretty good argument that if you are stealth vaping, you just make it look like you are trying to smoke without getting caught. I realize it isn't the same, but to someone who isn't familiar with it, if you're trying to hide it, that's how it looks.

I am all for anyones right to vape, but there is a growing crowd of "no-nic cloud blowers" that never smoked, and don't NEED or use nicotine, they just want to blow huge clouds inside COSTCO for absolutely no reason.
    (snip)
    People that don't even really have a reason to vape in the first place, are a bigger influence on the general public and government then those of us that have had our lives saved by it, that is sad.

You seem to believe that anyone who doesn't hide the way you do started vaping "to be cool", and has never smoked, and doesn't understand what it's like be addicted to nicotine. I don't know you, but I think there is a very high chance that I've smoked more than you have. Your basic assumption, that people who vape openly "have no reason to vape" is simply wrong.

Vaping isn't the same as smoking, and I'm not going to treat it like it is. I don't have any reason to hide.

jameth

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I think I could make a pretty good argument that if you are stealth vaping, you just make it look like you are trying to smoke without getting caught. I realize it isn't the same, but to someone who isn't familiar with it, if you're trying to hide it, that's how it looks.

You seem to believe that anyone who doesn't hide the way you do started vaping "to be cool", and has never smoked, and doesn't understand what it's like be addicted to nicotine. I don't know you, but I think there is a very high chance that I've smoked more than you have. Your basic assumption, that people who vape openly "have no reason to vape" is simply wrong.

Vaping isn't the same as smoking, and I'm not going to treat it like it is. I don't have any reason to hide.

When I talk about stealth vaping, I am not talking about trying to hide it in plain sight, I am talking about vaping in places you obviously wouldn't light up a cig, things like going to the bathroom for a quick vape in a public place, or taking a quick vape in an empty hallway somewhere that again, no one is around or would even be able to see you, but you still wouldn't light up a smoke.

You seem to have read into my post some things that weren't there, I didn't say anything to the effect of "anyone who doesn't hide it like I do vapes just to be cool", what I said is that there is a GROWING GROUP of people that do it for reasons other then nicotine addiction, and they TEND to be disrespectful when it comes to vaping as they please.

In fact looking back at my post, I never even said anything about "being cool" and vaping...

I literally know people that fall into this SEGMENT of the vaping community, more then just a couple...

I agree with you that it is not smoking, but unfortunatly the people we are trying to influence don't feel that way, and we will have better luck getting people on our side if we are tactful in our approach of spreading the knowledge.

Just saying its not smoking so I am going to blow clouds everywhere I want, is a good way to ruin progress, IMHO.

Last edited:

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 8, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    My thoughts on this issue are this.

I constantly vape where smoking isn't allowed.

I am a new but heavy vaper as I used to smoke a pack a day.

Story time!

I was at Physical Therapy getting my leg and ankle worked on and casually pulled out my vape. I didn't stealth vape or anything. I was on limited sleep also so I didn't really think about it.
    I was vaping my vanilla gelato juice which smells amazing.
    I had 2 people come up to me and tell me how they loved the smell.
    My Physical Therapist asked me what it was.
    Told her about it and explained why it is better and helped me quit.
    Asked to smell it so I blew it in her face (upon permission ofc...)
    She loved it too and asked me if I could bring it more often as it smelled like a vanilla candle lol.
    Not once have I been asked to put it away, as of yet!
    I have been confronted by management in retail locations and other environments where smoking isn't allowed who ask what I am doing.
    I explain how it helped me quit smoking and is saving my life and they have no complaints, they usually ask if a customer complains it has to go (or go to where no one can see - their words).

Lesson to be learned here is simple: Vape where you want to, be compliant with management (if asked to not do it there or follow their regulations do so! Or you can explain it and see if they change their minds), and be respectful by using common sense.:vapor::vapor:

This very philosophy is why all the vaping legislation is going on all over the country right now. Enjoy it while you can. It will not last and your philosophy will have just the opposite effect of what you want. JMHO

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
    Mar 21, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have always taken my PV everywhere with me, including on flights. I had one flight attendant snap at me to "put your phone away". Very rarely do I create clouds of vapor around me and usually just inhale, hold it and breathe out virtually nothing. I'm not looking to advertise this wonderful device, just want to use it discreetly. Once in awhile, someone will hone in on my device (I've been using an Innokin itaste VTR which looks impressive regardless of it's function). I explain what it is, downplaying the e-cigarette part and discuss the inhaler aspect of it. I let them know I have been a nonsmoker for nearly 5 years and owe it to these devices. Most think it's an awesome thing, others have not made an issue of it. I think discretion is very important for vapers and I don't know why they want to make themselves an example by blowing vapor all around them. I outgrew the need to have a PV that looks like a cigarette years ago.

jameth

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I agree with both of the above, it blows my mind how some people have this attitude that even though it looks like smoke, acts like smoke, floats in front of peoples faces like smoke, carrys smells with it like smoke, well technically since it isn't actually smoke, I should be able to annoy everyone around me with clouds of vapor, because after all, it isn't smoke...

Gimme a break...

Sure non of us wants to be considered a smoker, but when .... hits the fan, and it will, I would rather be treated like a smoker, then have all devices relating to vaping and premade liquids banned from sale in the US.

Just look at some of the proposed legislation that is going on RIGHT NOW, we are getting closer and closer to some really bad things happening in our little vape worlds, you people worried about vaping in doors publicly are wasting your energy.

Last edited:

Baldr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Just saying its not smoking so I am going to blow clouds everywhere I want, is a good way to ruin progress, IMHO.

I vape in public all the time. Pretty much every day I vape in a bar or restaurant (or both). Nobody ever complains. I've vaped in museums and at various shows. (Concerts, Cirque du Soleil, etc.)

Nobody ever complains. Sometimes I stealth, in particular if there are kids around or if we're watching a show and I don't want it to be distracting to people behind me. The only time anyone asks me about it is because they are curious. Mostly smokers, or people who have a family member that smokes. (ie, questions like "Does that really work" and "where do you get one " and "how much are they" and such.)

If we treat it like smoking, then it doesn't really matter if they make laws against it, since we're already treating it like smoking. It's never, ever going to be mainstream if we hide it.

I believe in doing it in public, and being respectful.

If I'm asked to stop, I will. Depending on the business, I may or may not continue to go there. Since that's never happened, I've never needed to make that call.

I think a lot of times people who vape just assume that if they vape in public, they'll get treated the same as someone who smokes in public. I know when I first started, I was a lot more nervous about it. Now I'm pretty darn relaxed, since it's never been a problem. The vast majority of people who did not like smoking were against smoking due to the smell. At least a few were convinced that second hand smoke was dangerous. Vaping has neither the smell nor the health risks associated with vaping. Since they aren't smelling a cigarette, they don't complain.

Baldr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Just look at some of the proposed legislation that is going on RIGHT NOW, we are getting closer and closer to some really bad things happening in our little vape worlds, you people worried about vaping in doors publicly are wasting your energy.

You seem to think that if we all hide, the people who want to pass those laws (primarily people associated with big phama, and people who want the tax money from cigarettes) will just quit passing those laws.

And your solution is "Lets treat vaping like smoking so they won't pass laws to make smoking laws apply to vaping".

jameth

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I vape in public all the time. Pretty much every day I vape in a bar or restaurant (or both). Nobody ever complains. I've vaped in museums and at various shows. (Concerts, Cirque du Soleil, etc.)

Nobody ever complains. Sometimes I stealth, in particular if there are kids around or if we're watching a show and I don't want it to be distracting to people behind me. The only time anyone asks me about it is because they are curious. Mostly smokers, or people who have a family member that smokes. (ie, questions like "Does that really work" and "where do you get one " and "how much are they" and such.)

If we treat it like smoking, then it doesn't really matter if they make laws against it, since we're already treating it like smoking. It's never, ever going to be mainstream if we hide it.

I believe in doing it in public, and being respectful.

If I'm asked to stop, I will. Depending on the business, I may or may not continue to go there. Since that's never happened, I've never needed to make that call.

I think a lot of times people who vape just assume that if they vape in public, they'll get treated the same as someone who smokes in public. I know when I first started, I was a lot more nervous about it. Now I'm pretty darn relaxed, since it's never been a problem. The vast majority of people who did not like smoking were against smoking due to the smell. At least a few were convinced that second hand smoke was dangerous. Vaping has neither the smell nor the health risks associated with vaping. Since they aren't smelling a cigarette, they don't complain.

I don't know that I care if vaping goes "mainstream", or if that is even a good thing, but I guess I am not really sure what you mean by that, as it could be taken a few ways.

Sure most of the people who are going to engage you in public will be people with an interest already, but for every one of those people, there are 10x as many people that see it and don't talk to you about it, but form quick negative opinions and those are the same people that are voting against us.

Regarding smell, sure our vapes don't smell like burning tobacco, but by god there is some funky ... vape clouds floating around out there that make me want to gag when I breath it in.

The smell of strange synthetic flavorings is not exactly pleasent to everyone...

I vape unflavored 90% of the time, I don't really feel like I should be forced to breath in someones nasty fruit cocktail cloud in McDonalds, just cause it isn't smoke.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread