2 problems with this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

omyeyes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2013
Las Vapors, NV
1) I was posting pix from my computer since I joined, then all of a sudden I can't do that anymore. The "select files" button seems dead.
However, it will let me use the basic upload. I prefer the other way of doing it.

2) Emoticons: I am not being able to use the "more" button to get more emoticons. Only a few basic few. What's up with that?

If someone could please help me with these 2 things, I'd really appreciate it.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Ensure your version of flash is current and up to date then try again. You can check your flash version here: Flash Player Help | Flash Player Help

Scratch that.

There was a security bulletin released not long ago and vBulletin decided not to fix the issue in vBulletin 4. So if you were using the Flash uploader, this no longer works.

Ensure javascript is enabled in your browser. Not java, but javascript. Can you upload files after making sure that's on?

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Ensure your version of flash is current and up to date then try again. You can check your flash version here: Flash Player Help | Flash Player Help

Scratch that.

There was a security bulletin released not long ago and vBulletin decided not to fix the issue in vBulletin 4. So if you were using the Flash uploader, this no longer works.

Ensure javascript is enabled in your browser. Not java, but javascript. Can you upload files after making sure that's on?

:confoosed: The standard uploader is relying on flash, that doesn't appear to be loading, so it's not working. This piece of .SWF coding => clientscript/yui/uploader/assets/uploader.swf

Clicking on the alternate Basic Uploader link at the bottom right of standard uploader does work though. Not as pretty as the (former) flash version, but it works.

If the flash version isn't going to work again why not just remove it from the process?

Last edited:

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
it seems the uploader runs into problems occasionally ;) because of that and the restricted picture size i gave up on it ages ago. too many choices for free outside hosting - tinypic, imgur, photobucket, etc - to worry about the uploader. and one additional benefit, the few times the picture icon went on strike you can add your own image brackets and you bypass all that mess :D
i have not used the uploader in years!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I know Tibs and I agree. I'm just saying that this has been a chronic question for several weeks now. It just pops up inviting you to "click me" to get the thing to work, but the code doesn't load so clicking gets you nowhere. So the questions about it not working keep coming.

The Basic Uploader link is right there. Don't know why more people don't just click on that either and see what happens. More people get themselves into trouble clicking on things in e-mails they should not anyway yet they don't seem to see that Basic Uploader link. Dunno.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Other forums may not have removed the feature. And they're regret it eventually.

When selecting the uploader, make sure you select "basic uploader". This will allow you to upload from your computer.

You can also upload photos via the "Manage Attachments" button on the "Advanced" editor.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
The Basic Uploader link is right there. Don't know why more people don't just click on that either and see what happens.

Can you post a screenshot? I don't see it anywhere on any of the skins, I cycled through all but the mobile ones (using FF in Win7)

Like tibs, I use external hosts rather than forum attachments, but was looking around to try and help the OP and I experience the same thing they describe

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
D'oh! Nevermind my post. I was trying to test it out in THIS forum . . . totally forgot attachments are disabled here :facepalm: :laugh:

So yes, in the sandbox (and other forum sections) I can see the "basic uploader" link as well as the other options that don't show when I try it here in Feedback and Help

to the OP, if you're running a script blocker try disabling it and see what happens. I know that was a problem for me with the "more smileys" button after one of the forum upgrades a while back. Sorry, but that's about the only suggestion I got at the moment. Hope you get it sorted :)

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
If the flash version isn't going to work again why not just remove it from the process?

Good point. We will get around to that in the next tranche of coding, probably.

Tech stuff
Basically vBulletin has too many problems now. Their best coders all moved to the XenForo forum software firm, and that is now the market leader. The people at vB are less capable and they can't (and won't) fix many issues. Now the major plugin we use, vbSEO, has gone - this will cause us huge problems.

There is an exploit of the Flash uploader to YUI that vB uses, so it has been disabled in the latest patches. vB forums still running it are wide open. We have to keep our system locked down tight because previous hacking caused major problems due to the size of our installation, its complexity, and the large number of customisations, servers and apps. Adobe software is a nightmare for security, ideally it's best to steer clear of anything from them being used on the web, it's a disaster waiting to happen (just my personal opinion). Everything they make has holes like a Swiss cheese (JMPO).

We would move to XenForo tomorrow if it wasn't such a nightmare project for a board like ECF. Plus some of our plugins would need to be custom coded for XF, like iTrader. Nevertheless it's almost certain we will move to XF at some point, especially now vbSEO has gone.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I've been having the same problem the OP mentioned in #2. All that has been covered here is the uploader.

When I click on "more emoticons" a small box opens up but won't let me scroll down. I can maximize the little box and then see all the emoticons so that I can live with but now I'm having the same problem when I hover my curser over "Replies and Views" on a subscribed thread. I get a small box and can maximize it but none of the post counts for each member have links to their posts. If I click on their post number in the little box I get a link. Why is there no link when I maximize the box?

This last problem just started recently and yes, I've clear history and cache, using Chrome with Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread