New Provari Owner Initial Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Hi All... I'm not going to bother giving a review of the Provari, lots of those available and I don't think I'd add anything new to the subject being a noob. My Provari is the same as everyone else's. Perfect. 'nuff said about that. But I do want to give a first impression, give a few props, and a brief comparison to what I had. All comments are welcome since I'm pretty new to vaping and may have missed some important stuff that would be obvious to the well entrenched and enlightened vapers, and any advice would be of benefit to me.

First prop is to Baditude. I probably have 20 hrs. of research on the Provari through this forum and on Youtube etc. My real interest in Provari started in the new member forum with posts by Baditude. He has a nice way of making a point without bad mouthing other products, being pushy, or making me feel he's an over the top fanboi for Provari. But he was obviously very impressed with the Provari and not shy about pointing out it was a quality piece that should be considered by anyone seriously looking to step up their vaping game. Just the right approach for someone like me to listen. Well done Baditude, you impressed me enough to research further. Much further actually. So I guess I owe you either a kick in the nuts for your subtle pushing, or a Guinness for tempting me into an expensive purchase. I'm thinking Guinness at this point.

Second prop mention goes to everyone on this forum. Great information here! Most good, some not so good, but all seemed like honest opinions without the typical trolling and FUD I normally see on forums. You all contributed to my buying decision one way or another. I can't ask more of a forum topic than that. Well done to all!

And the third recognition goes to my local vendor I bought from. Which was Vapor Lounge in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. (909) 945-1898. They spent a little over 2 hrs with me going through all the different products, how they work, the good and the bad of each (which really matched everything I learned on this forum, which gave them credibility in my eyes), spent a lot of time going through the operation of everything and how to use, and finally what I considered a pretty fair price. They also warranty the tank for life... even O-rings if I screw them up and if the Provari needs service they will send it in (they will pay postage) AND they will give me a loaner while the Provari is being repaired. How sweet is that!

What I paid was $375.00. (this includes 8% tax)

What I got was:

1 Provari full size, black with blue LED (I had already decided the colors and they had these in stock... sweet!)
1 Extended cap, black
2 AW IMR 18490 batteries
2 AW IMR 18650 batteries (they said I didn't need 2 sets of batts, I just wanted them)
1 Intellicharger i4
1 4ml (my choice of 4ml or 6ml) PV1 glass tank w/tip black
5 Pack of single coil pre punched 2.2ohm cartos
1 Case
1 15ml bottle of my favorite juice

Can't say enough about this vendor. Maybe it would be possible to shave a couple bucks going to internet vendors (not sure it would really be any cheaper), but I would give up the excellent guidance they gave me and the great warranty support. That piece of mind with a loaner being available is worth a lot in my book. Plus it's nice to have a place to go and enjoy the hobby with others and test juices, ect. Good folks there.

Comparison:
I have been using the iTaste VV V3 up until I purchased the Provari and to be honest, the iTaste with the PV1 Glass Tank and the Provari taste and vape identical. I spent a fair amount of time moving the tank between them to test and I really can't sense a difference between the two. The Provari feels better and more substantial, and it has that Provari "mystique" which is cool (OK... bad to the bone kinda cool). But the vape experience is really the same with both. That being said, the Provari will last all day and then some so I got that going for me, but I was surprised at how good the iTaste VV really is. I'm sure if I was using a different topper that pushed the envelope a bit more the difference would be obvious, but I do have a new respect for the iTaste and don't regret having it for a backup device. Well done Innokin!

The PV1 glass tank system is a real surprise though. All I had used with the iTaste prior to this was the iClear 16s clearo's. They did a great job, are easy for a noob to use (and abuse) and are still vaping great for what they are. But OMG, the flavor of my juice comes alive with the PV1. I'm sure most of you are just smiling with that "Been there, Done that, Bought the tshirt" smirk on your face... but until I tried a carto tank, I had no idea. WOW! And the PV1 is pretty easy to use and doesn't leak. I know now why Scott at Vapor Lounge took a long time making sure I understood how to change cartos, fill, and refill the PV1 for a trouble free experience. Thanks Scott! Oh, and the PV1 matches my Provari in looks perfectly. It's black with the same kind of machining as the Provari and just looks like it was made for it. Have no idea how to add pictures in this forum, but may have to figure that out to show how great the tank looks if you're not familiar with the PV1.

Conclusion:
No buyers remorse here. Happy with the purchase. Would do it again. I feel like I got a great bargain considering top level equipment, support and the honest opinions I got. They did try to talk me out of two different sets or batteries and getting a less expensive 2 slot battery charger to keep costs down, but I really wanted a complete setup with both extended length and normal length setups and the ability to charge everything at once. Plus, I have heard good things about the i4 and a good charger is never a bad investment I figure. Like I said, good folks there. I'm as happy with the personalized attention as I am with the hardware.

So that's a noob's experience, for what it's worth.

BTW, they also showed me the Hana Modz DNA30 Mini. Holy crap! That is an awesome piece of kit! Could easily see one of those in the fleet sometime down the road.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Well written, glad you're enjoying your investment!
And you SHOULD get a photo posted, but in the mean-time, I'll bet it looks a little like this, right?
:D

That's exactly what I had in my pocket!
justlikeyours_zps645fd6ac.jpg

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Well written, glad you're enjoying your investment!
And you SHOULD get a photo posted, but in the mean-time, I'll bet it looks a little like this, right?
:D

That's exactly what I had in my pocket!
justlikeyours_zps645fd6ac.jpg

Perfect Train2! Thanks for the pic. That is exactly the tank. Looks great on the Provari, and it does come in different colors for those that want to match other colors. I like the way it matches the dimples and machining of the Provari.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Sometimes it just makes sense to spend a little more on things, you'll be pleased to know you just bought an absolute workhorse of a PV. it's been through hell and back with me and still kicking, congrats!

+1! I have rarely regretted buying quality for things that give me pleasure. In fact, quality itself gives me pleasure and generally results greater satisfaction in anything I do. No regrets.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Good for you Jazzman. A dependable, knowledgeable B&M can be worth his weight in gold, especially if you have a problem or want to upgrade. I think you did just fine. Enjoy your Provari. I got my black Provari Mini on Christmas and I do not regret it at all. Best purchase I have made in a long time.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
First prop is to Baditude...So I guess I owe you either a kick in the nuts for your subtle pushing, or a Guinness for tempting me into an expensive purchase. I'm thinking Guinness at this point.
Considering the alternative, Guinness, please! :party:

Thanks for the props, and enjoy your Provari.

Last edited:

weskeene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Quincy, IL
Question for the OP, and others: The black looks sweet. But is there any concern about scratching above and beyond what you'd worry about with the base unit? My understanding from watching videos is that the colors are an additional paint layer on top of the unit itself. That made my (slightly) worry about chipping and scraping. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Wes

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Weskeene, I don't have the basic satin silver to compare with my carokote satin blue, purple, or black. To my knowledge, the satin silver is a brushed satin finish of the stainless steel. Therefore, there is no paint to chip. It may scratch up with normal use, but not show as much as a painted surface might. It's been said that it should be possible to polish these out.

I've had my satin blue carokote for about 18 months. It has taken several drops from my lap to the pavement when I've gotten out of my car, and has a couple of tiny nicks on its surface. Honestly, I'd say the carokote finish is more durable than the powder coat finish on a couple of my mechanical mods, which have nicks and many fine scratches all over them. I've had the satin black Mini for 9 months with similar treatment and it looks the same as the day I received it.

You might be able to see the two nicks on the blue Provari in the area of the fire button and to the left.

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I just got my Provari yesterday Wes, so I really couldn't tell you. But I'm sure some of the seasoned veterans here will know. I haven't seen a bunch of scratched up Provaris in all the pictures I've seen though, so they must be putting a very durable coloring on these. I just don't know what process they use.

supersport13

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
United States
Hi All... I'm not going to bother giving a review of the Provari, lots of those available and I don't think I'd add anything new to the subject being a noob. My Provari is the same as everyone else's. Perfect. 'nuff said about that. But I do want to give a first impression, give a few props, and a brief comparison to what I had. All comments are welcome since I'm pretty new to vaping and may have missed some important stuff that would be obvious to the well entrenched and enlightened vapers, and any advice would be of benefit to me.

First prop is to Baditude. I probably have 20 hrs. of research on the Provari through this forum and on Youtube etc. My real interest in Provari started in the new member forum with posts by Baditude. He has a nice way of making a point without bad mouthing other products, being pushy, or making me feel he's an over the top fanboi for Provari. But he was obviously very impressed with the Provari and not shy about pointing out it was a quality piece that should be considered by anyone seriously looking to step up their vaping game. Just the right approach for someone like me to listen. Well done Baditude, you impressed me enough to research further. Much further actually. So I guess I owe you either a kick in the nuts for your subtle pushing, or a Guinness for tempting me into an expensive purchase. I'm thinking Guinness at this point.

Second prop mention goes to everyone on this forum. Great information here! Most good, some not so good, but all seemed like honest opinions without the typical trolling and FUD I normally see on forums. You all contributed to my buying decision one way or another. I can't ask more of a forum topic than that. Well done to all!

And the third recognition goes to my local vendor I bought from. Which was Vapor Lounge in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. (909) 945-1898. They spent a little over 2 hrs with me going through all the different products, how they work, the good and the bad of each (which really matched everything I learned on this forum, which gave them credibility in my eyes), spent a lot of time going through the operation of everything and how to use, and finally what I considered a pretty fair price. They also warranty the tank for life... even O-rings if I screw them up and if the Provari needs service they will send it in (they will pay postage) AND they will give me a loaner while the Provari is being repaired. How sweet is that!

What I paid was $375.00. (this includes 8% tax)

What I got was:

1 Provari full size, black with blue LED (I had already decided the colors and they had these in stock... sweet!)
1 Extended cap, black
2 AW IMR 18490 batteries
2 AW IMR 18650 batteries (they said I didn't need 2 sets of batts, I just wanted them)
1 Intellicharger i4
1 4ml (my choice of 4ml or 6ml) PV1 glass tank w/tip black
5 Pack of single coil pre punched 2.2ohm cartos
1 Case
1 15ml bottle of my favorite juice

Can't say enough about this vendor. Maybe it would be possible to shave a couple bucks going to internet vendors (not sure it would really be any cheaper), but I would give up the excellent guidance they gave me and the great warranty support. That piece of mind with a loaner being available is worth a lot in my book. Plus it's nice to have a place to go and enjoy the hobby with others and test juices, ect. Good folks there.

Comparison:
I have been using the iTaste VV V3 up until I purchased the Provari and to be honest, the iTaste with the PV1 Glass Tank and the Provari taste and vape identical. I spent a fair amount of time moving the tank between them to test and I really can't sense a difference between the two. The Provari feels better and more substantial, and it has that Provari "mystique" which is cool (OK... bad to the bone kinda cool). But the vape experience is really the same with both. That being said, the Provari will last all day and then some so I got that going for me, but I was surprised at how good the iTaste VV really is. I'm sure if I was using a different topper that pushed the envelope a bit more the difference would be obvious, but I do have a new respect for the iTaste and don't regret having it for a backup device. Well done Innokin!

The PV1 glass tank system is a real surprise though. All I had used with the iTaste prior to this was the iClear 16s clearo's. They did a great job, are easy for a noob to use (and abuse) and are still vaping great for what they are. But OMG, the flavor of my juice comes alive with the PV1. I'm sure most of you are just smiling with that "Been there, Done that, Bought the tshirt" smirk on your face... but until I tried a carto tank, I had no idea. WOW! And the PV1 is pretty easy to use and doesn't leak. I know now why Scott at Vapor Lounge took a long time making sure I understood how to change cartos, fill, and refill the PV1 for a trouble free experience. Thanks Scott! Oh, and the PV1 matches my Provari in looks perfectly. It's black with the same kind of machining as the Provari and just looks like it was made for it. Have no idea how to add pictures in this forum, but may have to figure that out to show how great the tank looks if you're not familiar with the PV1.

Conclusion:
No buyers remorse here. Happy with the purchase. Would do it again. I feel like I got a great bargain considering top level equipment, support and the honest opinions I got. They did try to talk me out of two different sets or batteries and getting a less expensive 2 slot battery charger to keep costs down, but I really wanted a complete setup with both extended length and normal length setups and the ability to charge everything at once. Plus, I have heard good things about the i4 and a good charger is never a bad investment I figure. Like I said, good folks there. I'm as happy with the personalized attention as I am with the hardware.

So that's a noob's experience, for what it's worth.

BTW, they also showed me the Hana Modz DNA30 Mini. Holy crap! That is an awesome piece of kit! Could easily see one of those in the fleet sometime down the road.

Hey there, I live in Crestline in the San Berdu mountains, not far from the high desert! I make the drive almost every payday to the Vapour Lounge in Rancho Cucamonga for my vape supplies. Out of all the vape stores in the Inland Empire that I've been too, they are the most knowledgeable, friendly, and professional store out there! Great stock, great people, and great place! I am going to order my first Provari after my tax return comes in.....the same exact one that you got! I was going to order it directly from Provape, but now I'm thinking I might just go down to the Vapour Lounge and buy it. It may be a lil' more, but then I will be giving my business to the best brick and mortar vape shop in the IE! Enjoy your Provari....I can't wait to get mine! Cheers :toast:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Hey there, I live in Crestline in the San Berdu mountains, not far from the high desert! I make the drive almost every payday to the Vapour Lounge in Rancho Cucamonga for my vape supplies. Out of all the vape stores in the Inland Empire that I've been too, they are the most knowledgeable, friendly, and professional store out there! Great stock, great people, and great place! I am going to order my first Provari after my tax return comes in.....the same exact one that you got! I was going to order it directly from Provape, but now I'm thinking I might just go down to the Vapour Lounge and buy it. It may be a lil' more, but then I will be giving my business to the best brick and mortar vape shop in the IE! Enjoy your Provari....I can't wait to get mine! Cheers :toast:

Hope the government doesn't run out of money before you get your return!

I don't think Vapor Lounge is really any more expensive than getting the Provari direct from Provape. Unless you wanted Provape's special on a pink one. But having the option of getting a loaner Provari while yours is being repaired is way beyond good customer service. That was important in my buying decision, but now that I have my Provari I can't imagine it being gone for a couple weeks if it had to go in for repair... and Vapor Lounge will pay the shipping.

Can't say enough good things about them. Hope you get yours soon.

supersport13

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
United States
Hope the government doesn't run out of money before you get your return!

I don't think Vapor Lounge is really any more expensive than getting the Provari direct from Provape. Unless you wanted Provape's special on a pink one. But having the option of getting a loaner Provari while yours is being repaired is way beyond good customer service. That was important in my buying decision, but now that I have my Provari I can't imagine it being gone for a couple weeks if it had to go in for repair... and Vapor Lounge will pay the shipping.

Can't say enough good things about them. Hope you get yours soon.

Me too! If you figure out how to post pics...that would be awesome! I'd love to see how that tank looks on top of your Provari! I've never used a carto tank, but I think they look so .....in' on top of Provaris. I was thinking of going with the Kayfun Lite +, but if carto tanks work really well, maybe I'll go that route.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Me too! If you figure out how to post pics...that would be awesome! I'd love to see how that tank looks on top of your Provari! I've never used a carto tank, but I think they look so .....in' on top of Provaris. I was thinking of going with the Kayfun Lite +, but if carto tanks work really well, maybe I'll go that route.

Look at post #4. Train2 was kind enough to post his Provari with the PV1 tank, which is the exact same equipment I bought. I must say though, as good as the PV1 carto tanks works (and tastes) the Aspire nautilus I got is very much better. I still use the PV1 daily though since I like to change flavors often. I also purchased 2 boxes of 5 each unpunched 510XL cartos ($10.00 for 5) and filled them with my different flavored juices and just screw them on the Provari to taste the juice to see what I want to fill my tanks with next. After tasting I drip about 3 to 4 drops of fluid in them, put the condoms back on both sides and attach them to the juice bottle with a rubber band. If I change flavors in the tank, and assuming the carto is still good (I haven't burned any cartos yet) I take the carto out of the tank, put the condoms back on and put the on the juice bottles with a rubber band also. So most of my juices have 2 cartos rubber banded to them. Easy and cheap way to remind myself what the juice tastes like and what I want next. So get some unpunched cartos save the condoms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread