The Wheeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vappers

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
United States
Hello! So quick question for you guys:
I quit smoking 21 days ago after 13 years of smoking. I still have a bit of a wheeze when im laying down, on my side or ave my chest scrunched. Does the wheeze actually ever fully go away?(For those of you that made the switch ayear or more ago). Dont get me wrong, i am doing so much better and im not complaining. My smell has come back, my taste buds are healing and i can definitely breathe a ton better. My gf said i used to have a "Gurgle" In my lungs when i was sleeping and its gone now. I also used to wake up hacking up a lung which i dont do anymore. but this lingering wheeze... any ideas?

Edit: Im still caughing up chunks too when i cough to clear the wheeze.

Vappers

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
United States
haha spawnsarks, i see you often. Yes thats one thing i look forward to when summer gets here. In my youth i was an avid hiker and loved it! However i tried last summer being a pack a day smoker and i never would have made it up that 4 mile trail if it wasnt for my 6 month pregnant fiance pushing me along. It was hell for me! I couldnt breathe for nothing. So this summer im excited to try hiking again :)

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
My wheeze went away after a month or so as well.. I am now 3 months free of smoking, and it just gets better and better! I played disc golf the other day, and 4 miles of walking through rough terrain, up and down hills was much, much easier with the newfound lung capacity.

When I switched five years ago it was a struggle to get to the mailbox. Now I jog 3 miles 3 times a week.

icyblack

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I'm only 2 weeks in with the e-cigarette, and haven't noticed any major issues after 26 years smoking a PAD. Not much coughing, had a frog in my throat that comes and goes. Went for a walk with the girlfriend tonite, she walks up and down a long set of stairs that wind me something aweful - to the point of almost passing out. Did them twice tonite, still got heavily winded but i'm noticing a difference.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
My mucous production and wheeze were so bad for so many years at 2 PAD that I herniated a disk in my neck coughing in the middle of the night. The wheeze was gone for the most part going to sleep after the first week vaping and totally gone after a month. It took longer for the mucous periodic cough to go totally away though but I don't know if that's because I continued to smoke a few daily. You can speed up the process by not inhaling vapor deeply. Just shallow inhale or don't inhale at all exhaling from mouth and/or nose after holding in the mouth.... like a pipe smoker. You don't need to inhale as nic is absorbed in the by the membranes in the mouth/nose before it ever hits the lungs. If it weren't cigars, pipes, dip and gum wouldn't work. Since I've started vaping that way, I don't like inhaling any more. Enjoy your new health and journey.

Rancor0681

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Belle Rive, Illinois, United States
My mucous production and wheeze were so bad for so many years at 2 PAD that I herniated a disk in my neck coughing in the middle of the night. The wheeze was gone for the most part going to sleep after the first week vaping and totally gone after a month. It took longer for the mucous periodic cough to go totally away though but I don't know if that's because I continued to smoke a few daily. You can speed up the process by not inhaling vapor deeply. Just shallow inhale or don't inhale at all exhaling from mouth and/or nose after holding in the mouth.... like a pipe smoker. You don't need to inhale as nic is absorbed in the by the membranes in the mouth/nose before it ever hits the lungs. If it weren't cigars, pipes, dip and gum wouldn't work. Since I've started vaping that way, I don't like inhaling any more. Enjoy your new health and journey.

The inherent problem is breaking the mindless habit of inhaling lol done it for so many Years it feels not only weird but hard not to

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I still wheeze occasionally and I just sum it up to having bronchitis. It's gotten 99.9% better since I quit cigs a year ago but I still have flare-ups with it. It can be caused by allergens in the air or smoke in the air from someones wood stove. I know I still have a ways to go before my lungs can redeem themselves from the damage I put them through for 33yrs. I'm just glad I got a good start on it and look forward to more years ahead of vaping.

ccubed

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
Denver, CO
Hi Vappers and congrats on being analog free for 21 days. That is a huge accomplishment. For me, at 3 weeks I started to feel better and the first round of coughing was just about over. Started coughing again at about 12 weeks, like another layer of crud was being cleared from my lungs.

The folks here reminded me that I smoked for many, many years and that I would not heal overnight, or even in a few weeks. However, I was thrilled that I could feel a real difference at about 21 days (right where you are). I have to remember that healing from years of abuse would be a process and would take time. I realize there is no instant fix for my years of abusing my body with cigarettes. Thankfully, I feel better week by week, month by month.

Glad to hear you are hanging in. Remember, your 21 days is fantastic. As the folks here in ECF suggested to me, stay hydrated, get backups for my gear and get backups for my backups. And be patient as your body heals and recovers. You are on the right path and every day will add to your body repairing itself.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Namaste.

HumbleTex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Texas
Good question.

My wheeze has gone away. I was what I'd consider a fairly heavy smoker for a long time. I had a pack and a half a day habit for 20+ years and it probably took me 2-4 weeks to quit hacking nasty stuff up when I was in the shower. Now the only time I'm hacking in the shower is if I'm sick.

Wish I'd quit a long, long time ago.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi

This seems to be a very different matter for every person. I was a 30 year 2 PAD smoker and never had any wheezing going on. I did have the typical rattles in my chest when laying down. Even when I smoked and my MD or Allergist checked my lungs were surprisingly clear, despite what I was doing to them.

All I can say is if it concerns you go get a professional listen and their assessment about what is going on. We do a lot of damage during our years of smoking. Vaping isn't a miracle cure for all that. As my Allergist said, if quittiing smoking could reverse lung damage all people who have emphysema would have to do is quit smoking and it would go away. Doesn't quite work that way.

You may also want to back off on lung inhaling your vape until your lungs get a chance to clear the gunk out. Lung inhaling doesn't work for everyone, and it isn't necessary to get your nicotine from vaping either. See hear for a read: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/337017-inhalation-technique-e-cigarette.html

I used to be a deep lung inhaler when I smoked. Let's just say that didn't work when I started vaping. I seldom lung inhale vape now - although I can - and really don't miss that part of smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread