Dr Farsalinos crowfunding campaign and research

Status
Not open for further replies.

KFarsalinos

Nov 16, 2013
Belgium-Greece
Dear vapers/ECF members

First of all, i want to thank you for the tremendous support on our crowdfunding campaign. We did not expect to be already over-funded, less than 10 days after this campagn was initiated.
We believe that this study will introduce significant changes in the e-cigarette industry and will make products better and safer for consumers.
I encourage you to follow the campaign and especially the updates page, in which we announce all funding that was not recieved through this crowdfunding but by other routes.
I take the opportunity to thank ECF for contributing $1000 to this campaign.
As you may have seen, this campaign is overfunded. We are NOT going to keep the money or use for anything else besides research. Therefore, we have already raised the nr of e-liquid samples we will test to approximately 150. We will additionally test some samples on vapor, by using commercially available devices, produce vapor, trap and recondense it and measure the levels of these substances present in vapor (which is extremely important). We are also thinking of adding a third substance to be tested in the liquid samples (we are discussing this with the laboratory).
Moreover, as you know, we have several protocols which we have already designed but have not been performed due to lack of funding. It is the time to work on some of them. We may be able to perform a protocol comparing the nicotine delivery to vapor-potential of new-generation atomizers (clearomizers like EVOD, Kanger T3 etc) compared to prefilled cartos and 1st generation devices. We think that clearomizers are much more consistent in nicotine delivery (there are studies showing that prefilled cartos are pretty bad in this). We think we may have the funds to proceed with this protocol after we complete our current project.

I encourage you to continue following and sharing this crowdfunding campaign. The more we will collect, the more testings we will be able to perform.

I am sure that most of you have a lot of questions to ask. I hope you understand that it is impossible for me to answer to each one of you personally, due to lack of time. I am doing my best to be able to cope with all this workload with very little help from colleagues and assistants.

Thank you for everything. We will continue to work in order to obtain as many information as possible about e-cigarettes and their safety/risk profile. We are determined and will always publish everything we find.

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for everything you do Dr. Farsalinos! I made a contribution earlier, and I plan to make another at the end of the month. I'm so thrilled that your crowd funding went well. It was amazing to see those totals grow every day. I know there were many large contributions from some sources, but every contribution (even $1) adds to the total and sends a message from us as the users.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Welcome to the ECF, Dr. Farsalinos, and many thanks for all your hard work!

One question I have - has anyone studied the effect of vapor on the bacteria and viruses in breath? It seems like I get fewer colds, etc. since I switched to vaping over 4 years ago, so I wonder if an e-cig user's breath is any cleaner in that regard.

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Thanks, Konstantinos, for the update.

ECF members: We will interview Dr. Farsalinos at some point in the very near future, so if there are any questions you have for him, please use this thread to raise them and we will pose them to him.

SJ

Is there a written overview or proposal out there somewhere for this current study? If there is I'm not finding it and only getting obtuse messages about "things we are all concerned about" or are supposed to know we are supposed to be concerned about. Looking for a write up of the specifics of what this current research is looking for in liquids.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Konstantinos Farsalinos posted an announcement 3 days ago [on the indiegogo site]:

Announcement

As you may have seen, we have reached our funding goal. We thank everyone for their support. We are not waiting for the campaign to end; we are already collecting samples from all over the world, which will be sent for testing. We will increase the number of samples tested. Additionally, the extra funding allows us to test some samples on vapor, which will give us crucial information. Finally, in case we have enough funds by the end of the crowdfunding campaign, we are going to proceed with another protocol (from the many we have already designed but were unable to perform due to lack of funding).Therefore...

I encourage you to continue sharing and discussing about this crowdfunding campaign to the social media and websites. All funds will be used for research (for this and other projects). During 2013 we published 7 studies in peer-review journals and we presented more in international medical conferences. We believe our research had a significant impact in tobacco harm reduction and e-cigarettes field. We want to continue in this way during 2014. The more funds we get, the more research we are going to perform.

We thank you for your amazing support and we hope you will continue to support us.

redddog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Rochester, NY
I'm with Rickajho.

Could someone point us somewhere where we can get an overview of what EXACTLY this is going to uncover, what the goals are and how they will impact manufacturing and sales and a timeline of when we can expect results and disclosure?

This is obviously very exciting for vapers (or not, depending on the results) but I would love to see the parameters and goals if they are out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread