About clones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xcighippy

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
OC CA
This question may have an obvious answer or has been answered a hundred times before. How is it that as soon as any company comes out with a new mod, rba, vv device etc. A clone of that product instantly appears? Some times there is subtle changes and that I can understand. The exact copies, isn't that called counterfeit?
I own many "clone's" and don't have a problem with it. I just was wondering how they get away with it, or are they not getting away with anything?
Also, how come no one ever "cloned" the Provari?

JBR3AK

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2012
Moosic, Pennsylvania, USA
I'd say mainly, the majority of tanks, accessories (etc) and quite a few mods come from china. Copyright and patent laws over there are quite loose. As for the clones appearing, if it's hot, and it sells, China's got people ready to make it and make it cheaper. As far as the provari goes, china tried to make competition to it with the zmax and other mods. Sure it's cheaper, but it's quality (as far as I know) doesn't compare to the provari.not to sound biased, but I've owned 2 Vamo's and a $100 lavatube knockoff from china. All failed it 6 months or less. My provari is still kicking.

Sent from my Provari v2.5 using Tapatalk

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I own no counterfeits.
I do own 10 Replicas - 5 mods, 4 RBA, 1RDA > These are all(supposedly) 1:1 and all work incredibly well.

I don't think I have seen any manufacturer try Cloning the (P)word. Yes, there are similar tube shapes, but seriously, they are al bassed on the 18xxx series batteries. All need room for the controller chips and all support 510 connections. Kind of a common theme in the Vaping community.

Also realize, often there is someone behind the manufacturer saying Can you make me 10k of this? Then the ball starts rolling.
For many of us it is simpler to blame the Mod makers than the Money makers that see the market potential.

JBR3AK

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2012
Moosic, Pennsylvania, USA
I was reading somewhere about designers selling their designs to the Chinese right before their mods come out to increase demand for their mod because it's "authentic".

Can't remember where I read it...

I do remember reading somewhere lavatubes design was exclusively there's, but sold their patent bringing Vamo's and all alike.

Sent from my Provari v2.5 using Tapatalk

jizzles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2013
California
The reason they don't clone it is because the materials and build quality isn't there and QC will not either. Why clone a product when it won't sell as fast or as cheap. They've got their own vv/vw mods that work well. They've got their own dna30 coming soon and the clones of mech mods and rda/rbas are easier to clone since it's all machining.

How they clone so fast? Well it's all theories from there. Either way, it's not too hard to clone something that most machines are capable of doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread