Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Jerry; I've been receiving conflicting information about the shelf life of juice. I trust you more than anyone on this subject.
I don't want a private conversation but one that all members can see, join in and learn.
Almost all of the WTA I buy from Aroma has a expectation date. All and every single bottle shows a 2 year shelf life. I've had people telling me that NET's "Might be ok up to a year if stored in a refrigerator." I've only got one other vendor I use for juice. Personal preference. So wean you let ECF know what the shelf life is?
Some of my NET's are over a year old and taste fantastic. I just don't understand.

homeprogreen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
Sonora CA
Jerry; I've been receiving conflicting information about the shelf life of juice. I trust you more than anyone on this subject.
I don't want a private conversation but one that all members can see, join in and learn.
Almost all of the WTA I buy from Aroma has a expectation date. All and every single bottle shows a 2 year shelf life. I've had people telling me that NET's "Might be ok up to a year if stored in a refrigerator." I've only got one other vendor I use for juice. Personal preference. So wean you let ECF know what the shelf life is?
Some of my NET's are over a year old and taste fantastic. I just don't understand.

Nicotine degrades with heat and light. Most vendors say juice has a 1 year shelf life if stored in a cool dark place. Some say 2 years if stored properly. I've got juice that's a year old and its great

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009

And when Jerry doesn't know, he asks me. :)

Shelf life for eliquid, I believe, is a purely notional thing.

There is no reason that a sealed bottle of USP PG or VG should ever go bad or change in any perceptible manner. Yet, you'll typically see expiration dates on these items. When you add a component such as nicotine or tobacco alkaloids, you now have something in the mix that's subject to oxidation.

I have a vial of pure WTA that I made around 4 months ago. It started at 5 mL of pure WTA and it was a nice deep copper color and it hasn't changed a bit color-wise. I use it to make around 10 mL at a time of 24 mg WTA in VG. I just add 0.25 mL pure WTA to 10 mL of VG, shake it up, and I'm ready to go. The resulting 24 mg WTA is also the same nice light color as it was 4 months ago.

As far as how long you can effectively keep an eliquid is a topic I've blogged on in the past. The truth of the matter is that the topic is really being over-thought. There is nothing that a year or two of storage will do to an eliquid that vaporizing at high temperature on an atty won't do many times over.

In other words, for all the care that we can give to preserving our eliquids, the final step in using them is vaporizing them on a hot coil in the presence of oxygen and inhaling the result. The alkaloids in the eliquid undergo more oxidation during the process of vaping them than probably any amount of storage time could do.

Have you ever over-dripped an atty and vaped awhile and found that a bit of liquid has leaked out the bottom of the atty and collected around the base of the atty? Mop it up with a tissue and check the color, it's pretty dark. That's what the atty is doing to the alkaloids in the liquid.

Two years is a good amount of time to assign for expiration since it's better practice to assign something than nothing for expiration. Would I vape a two or three year old WTA I made? Probably, but it never lasts nearly that long.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
...a dark tupperware container. Burped then goes under the bed. No light no heat.
made me think of this (from the beginning of Aladdin).
maxresdefault.jpg

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I just want to know how you got my picture. I had the shades closed when I did that.
[In Mr. Smith voice] The Provarinati have had you under surveillance for quite some time...Mr. tnt56. Your activities have not gone unnoticed.
images

I mean, seriously, fuzzy handcuffs? Did you think you would keep those a secret forever?

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Juice shelf life is merely suggestive, much like expiration dates on food. The only purpose is to cover the manufacturer's proverbial ..... Expiration dates have very little to do with reality. I have some yogurt in my fridge that is over 2 weeks past its expiration, but it still tastes just fine.

David Bruno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2009
Iron Mountain , Michigan
I know this is a older thread but I thought I would share this info. I have had juice that is three years old taste as good as when I bought them. I have found that the lighter colored juices hold up longer, IMO. I also found that some of the food, bakery, candy type juices seem to change flavor quite a bit with age.I keep my juice in the basement which keeps a temperature about the same year around, about 66 to 70 degrees. I keep my juice on a shelf away from sun light. Some suppliers will give you a lower shelf life because perhaps the ingrediants will go bad faster. I am a tobacco type guy. Aroma's Sahara and as of late Ry4 flavors are my favorites. 555 is also in there. I don't care to much for the food/ sweets type juice. I like to eat my food and desert. That's just my taste. The juice I did open at around it's third birthday was a tobacco flavor and tasted very good. It boils down to each individual flavor might have a different shelf life. Always try them out before tossing them. I actually had a few taste better after a year and got a reprieve from the garbage can. Sorry if a couple words are spelled wrong, my spell check doesn't come up here.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread