Question - Triton Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavaDan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Chesapeake Bay
Hi All. I'm a newbie. Started vaping about 4 weeks ago and tobacco free since then.

I have a Triton kit, some extra tanks and coils and am now using a Halo VV battery.

So far, my experience has been fantastic, but I've had issues with a couple of my tanks:

1. Vaping with Belgian Cocoa for about a week on the VV (3.8 - 4.3 volts), then all of a sudden when I pressed the button, it would blink 3 times and not work. I put it on a 650 mah battery and had the same issue. I figured the coil was probably toast. I cleaned the tank and replaced the coil/wicks (3.0 ohm), but it still won't work on any of my 3 batteries. The tank was not leaking. The battery is dry.

Any clues what this issue is?

2. I had a tank filled with Johnson Creek Ranier. It's on the thick side (all VG). That's my favorite ADV. I went through about 3 tanks and all of a sudden it started leaking. I replaced the coil with a new one, and it still leaks. It has gotten progressively worse and got to the point that I could only get one hit and had to blow it out and dry the battery - even with a new coil and wicks. Before you ask, the coil is tight and the condom is properly placed.

I recall reading someplace that the tanks will generally last 2-3 weeks before needing to be replaced. I assumed that this replacement was for the coil/wick assembly. I'm now thinking that the tanks themselves need to be replaced. Which is true?

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Sorry - I was reading the forum on my phone waiting in the car and didn't realize you were already posting in the Halo Forum :) Try to clean the top of the battery with a little alcohol first, then a tiny bit of Noalox! It can't be the physical tanks themselves, so it's either the coil or the connection on the battery. Just to be sure, after you've cleaned them, I'd plug the vv in for a full charge - make sure the light is solid blue before removing it (in case you weren't sure).

I recently had a juice that was 100% VG that wouldn't wick at all. I have heard you can add a couple of drops of distilled water to fix this, but I didn't try it.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Sorry, I was referring to the first part of your post about the coil not firing regarding the tank itself. Hmmm, the leaking...I still highly doubt it. where was it leaking from? If you fill it up with water and just hold it upside down does it leak? It's not like a Protank that has a gazillion o rings to leak, so unlikely I would think! But others will chime in, I'm sure. Are you sure when you clean it you're putting that little plastic sleeve back all the way down to the wicks? If you don't have it properly seated, the tank will flood.

I've had my tanks for a couple of months, cleaned them a bunch, and never had a problem. I think there is one thread on this forum where someone saw something strange about a tank, but leaking was not the problem (iirc).

Yes I believe you can thin with Vodka - might affect the flavor though (which might be a good thing LOL)

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
Hold on, I'll find the link to that thread. But do this.

With the tank on the battery WITHOUT the coil, push the button. If you get 3 blinks, the tank has a short. If you get a steady light for 4 to 5 secons, the tank is fine.

Try that, young JavaDan. And report back.

(or Old Java Dan, but he'd new to us)

Oh, and you are now a HALON!!!

We are Halon (c)2013 wheezal

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
And to the second part. fill the tank without the coil up to the 1.2 ml mark or so with PGA or Vodka. just not too much, under the level of the top of the inner tube. Let it sit for 5 minutes upright. Does it leak? Vodka or alcohol is thinner and less surface tension than water, so if it leaks, it shows quicker with the alcohol. (I leak much more with alcohol...)

But for no good reason, I have several non halo juices that just like to leak and flood. Does the coil know this is verbotten? Non Halo juice??
But with one, I filled it all the way to the 2.4 line with non halo juice, and suffered through it, vaping, blowing clear, vape, blowing clear. After 10 or 15 hits, it started behaving. Maybe a buildup around the wicks/condom finally sealed up enough, and then it vaped fine. Even a few refills.

This is the only problems I have with the Triton tanks. That all of the sudden flooding leaking down the center tube. It happens 5% of the time.

Other users using other clearos and tanks wish they had only 5% problems!!!

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Wait....DaveOno, how can a tank without a coil have a short???? Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are. The tank has to have 2 conductors to get from the bat to the coil. One is the body of the center tube, the other is a thin wire that runs from the center of the base /battery to the center of the coil head. If that wire touches the tube, it shorts.
Like you can have a short in a table lamp without a bulb.

Capishe?

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
Ah...I was forgetting these are top coil and so the coils don't screw directly into the base! Thank you ....(off to do some testing..I have one that keeps giving me an intermittent burned taste, even with different coils!):p

Yes, you are. The tank has to have 2 conductors to get from the bat to the coil. One is the body of the center tube, the other is a thin wire that runs from the center of the base /battery to the center of the coil head. If that wire touches the tube, it shorts.
Like you can have a short in a table lamp without a bulb.

Capishe?

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I haven't had any issues with my Triton tanks except for one Tank that leaked a very slow leak. I had to sit it off the battery and let it sit on a papertowel overnight and just let it leak so the next day I could see where it was leaking from. I had it sitting straight up not on it's side and it was leaking on the outside on the bottom where the tank meets the silver part. I'd suggest trying to find out where the leak is coming from.

One of my favorite flavors is JC Vanda 100% VG (I have Rainer steeping, can't wait I love cherry's) anyways I am vaping on my 2nd refill of Vanda and I haven't had any issues with the JC juice. It is thicker and as long as I'm not chain vaping it and lay it down every few minutes it wicks fine. But if I'm chain vaping a little too much it won't wick as fast as I want it to, so to compensate I'll suck a second to help draw up the juice before I hit the button on the battery. Warning if you do this too often or if it isn't really needed you will get juice in your mouth. Also if you happen to be doing this you can be getting too much juice to the coil and you will cause the juice to leak into the center tube.

The battery blinking 3 times? Was this tank shorting out your batteries?

JavaDan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Chesapeake Bay
Oh sorry and welcome JavaDan! :thumbs:

No Worries. Thanks. I've got some of the Ranier up the tip a couple times, and it's actually pretty tasty raw. I like it so much that sometimes I feel like I'm addicted to it. I just ordered another 30 ml. Haven't tried Vanda yet, but you're the 2nd person today that said I should.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
I will try Dave's suggestions when I get home and report back. Some good debugging ideas there.

Although I'm a new vaper, I'm pushing close to Medicare age. Smoking stinkys for 47 years. No More. :facepalm:

Logical approach. Battery alone, no blinks? Then battery with tank without coil. Blinks? Same tank without on a different battery blinks? You then have a shorted tank.

Look closely at the bottom of the tank. The center spot with the hole and the screwdriver slot should be centered. You might see a bit of the insulating grommet between the center and the base. Make sure it's all concentric. Maybe even try a 1/8 twist clockwise (while looking at the bottom) Maybe you tightened a coil a bit too much, and it spun the center post a bit on the tank base. So try to move it A LITTLE BIT in the other direction might untwist the little wire.

If that fails, smack it hard onto the table. It's broke anyway, and it'll make you feel better. :lol:

Hey, if it's gone, you got a good run out of it. For $7 you get a new one (with a coil!).

Send the old tank to BigBen. He's got a glass project, and needs parts for his Frankensteinian hobby.

Or send the tank to CafeDigitalDiva. She lost a VV, and the two of them can be interred together.

(or in a bizarro world, "Manuel" will only work with a shorted tank???)

Yes, waitress, I'll have another Maker's Mark neat...:toast:

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
No Worries. Thanks. I've got some of the Ranier up the tip a couple times, and it's actually pretty tasty raw. I like it so much that sometimes I feel like I'm addicted to it. I just ordered another 30 ml. Haven't tried Vanda yet, but you're the 2nd person today that said I should.

How long do you have to let Rainer steep? It smells like Cherry NyQuil so I've been afraid to vape it yet. But yes I love Vanda, to me it tastes just like yellow cake batter even though it is Vanilla Custard.

JavaDan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Chesapeake Bay
How long do you have to let Rainer steep? It smells like Cherry NyQuil so I've been afraid to vape it yet. But yes I love Vanda, to me it tastes just like yellow cake batter even though it is Vanilla Custard.

I did 2 days with the cap off, then about a week and a half before I vaped it. Tastes better than it smells - kind of like an single malt scotch. :toast:

Evie Luv

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I did 2 days with the cap off, then about a week and a half before I vaped it. Tastes better than it smells - kind of like an single malt scotch. :toast:

Great thanks! Mine will need another day airing out. LOL If it is as good as I hope, it will taste great mixed with the Vanda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread