What is the difference between a nano and a micro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopherja

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2013
Nottingham
Well, OP, there's not really any consensus on it methinks.

I've found that, generally, people tend to call any coil below 1.7mm in diameter a 'micro'.

I don't know if there's any close consensus on 'nano' - though I consider my 1.2mm coils 'nano'.

On the other hand, now that RIPTripper is apparently wrapping coils around 28g Kanthal...what are we to call those?!

Ragajefe

Jan 28, 2014
Cali
Well, OP, there's not really any consensus on it methinks.

I've found that, generally, people tend to call any coil below 1.7mm in diameter a 'micro'.

I don't know if there's any close consensus on 'nano' - though I consider my 1.2mm coils 'nano'.

On the other hand, now that RIPTripper is apparently wrapping coils around 28g Kanthal...what are we to call those?!

I think the next move up is a pica
Considering micro to be one size nano to be the next size and pica to be that above the nano hahaha

Nataani

Moved On
Nov 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
Sadly all the terminology is varied and very confusing.

"Micro" has also become synonymous with contact, where the coils are touching. Even when building large diameter contact coils, people still refer to them as micro. Making the word completely misleading.

Nano was just a name made up to appear to be something different. Its just a smaller diameter coil, which is also built in the contact fashion. There is no consensus on what constitutes a nano coil, or a micro coil.

Nataani

Moved On
Nov 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
Oh snap! Nano (or dragon?) might be the perfect application of my 2mm Ekowool! Next build, next build... tonight!

Probably not, nano coils pretty much require that your going to use cotton balls, as anything else would not be pliable enough to wrap the coil. Trying to shove the coil into ekowool would result in restricted airflow, which would end up burning your wick.

MasterofNone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
New York
Let's see if we can work out the genesis of all these coils... Rebuilt, not the disposable. Rebuildable all started with what used to be a standard open spaced wrap around your wick of choice....

Stainless steel mesh required oxidation, and the inherent shorts led to pulsing on the mod...

Than came the Petar K method of wrapping off the wick on a same diameter drill bit,slipping the wick in and pulsing to oxidize after.

Sub ohm ( less wraps for more wattage) was and is big, giving a warmth and flavor many couldn't find otherwise.

At some point after this, someone took a look at their disposable HH357 and the design of that coil, and started thinking about heat transfer and lots of science engineeringy stuff... And built a micro coil. Tiny inner diameter with wraps touching or nearly touching...getting great heat transfer and awesome flavor and cloud in a low ohm or higher build.

Cotton as a cheap and easy wick, flourished in this environment. Amazing people like superxdrifter perfected a super easy way to coil this, dark zero made his coil jig, making it next to impossible to get wrong.

Than came the people who like to play, trying even smaller diameter, trying a bed instead of an external wick, trying an externally wrapped wick around the coil. But all in all for ease if build and deliciousness of vape, touching-wraps has become pretty standard. In my opinion, anything over 1/16 ID I would consider a Macro coil.

Anyone want to add to this, correct me, fight over names, or add links to important pieces to the puzzle? A lot if this happened here on the forums.

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
.055 micro or nano. Just curious!

Micro :)

Here's a fact sheet that makes it clear :)

Zgqshec.jpg

Here's a link to the thread that gave birth to the micro coil almost a year ago :) http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389074

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread