...But I don't WANNA vape Dawn! (or the machine oil)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I just bought some knockoff rba's (Fogger v3, KFL+ knockoff from unknown knock-er-off-er). Don't judge me, "Genuine vs Knockoff" is not what this post is intended to be about. (I appreciate genuine product, and if rba turns out to be my thing, I plan to buy genuine in the future - nuf said).

Now that THAT is out of the way:
I want to try the builds they ship with to get a base line. But I also want to clean the components and not vape the manufacturing process...
I usually soak and clean with dawn before I use any hardware, and with the (kanger) heads I use I give them a good rinse under hot water before their first use.
rba's will be a bit different, I think... I can still do my normal process with everything except the build deck..
In your opinion, would it be better to run the build and deck under hot water (no soap) and scrub the crap out of the metal components (not the coil of course)? or forget trying to get a baseline and just destroy the shipped build? or is it probably clean enough?? or do you have a better idea?

Thank you for your opinions!

Edit: These products aren't in my hands yet, I just placed the order online. Probably mid week... wanted to do some due diligence :)

Last edited:

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
The only way you may be able to pull that off is by boiling the deck.
I would not want to fire up a cheapo clones stock coil/wick.
I have seen oil on the deck of some attys with the wick sitting in said oil. Insane!
Even boiling it....I dunno.
Maybe if you boiled it and rewicked with cotton.
Just remove any orings first if u do try boiling.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Honestly I wouldn't suggest vaping from the stock coils, you never know who's dirty/contaminated hands were touching them, or the quality of the wick and wire as mentioned. But if you really want to, I would suggest removing the coil and wick from the posts carefully, torching them with a torch lighter, then cleaning/scrubbing the atty good, then replacing the coil.

I couldn't imagine anything getting past that, the wick and coil are torched clean and the atty is scrubbed clean, so you should be good.

Nibiru2012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
The Oort Cloud
Trash the factory build scrub it inside and out then set it up with a micro coil and cotton:)

Micro coil and cotton vapes great!

Dish soap leaves no soapy flavour if you actually rinse it.

Use very warm water with Dawn and then rinse well with hot water, you won't have any leftover taste. I've done it many times.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Smell the unit. You might be lucky enough to get a clean one. If it doesn't reek of machine oil, clean it with some alcohol. If the wick and coil look decent and check out ohm wise, then clean the wick with a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide (which turns to water under heat), pulse it a couple of times and give it a try.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Thanks for more advice.
I'm sure this will be helpful for others that have this question.
The vodka trick is interesting...
And thats an interesting note about Hydrogen Peroxide.. I did not know that! That makes me feel better about the HP rinsed cotton balls!

Smell or not, personally I'm still going to rip out the shipped build and put my own on it.

As far as cleaning I usually use Dawn.. HOT rinse, then let it sit in a cup or bowl with some dawn. then I'll take a soapy bottle brush and scrub brush to it (with soap on the brush). Dump the bowl of soapy water, fill it with hot, and drop the soapy parts in that. let that sit for a little bit while I clean the soap out of the brushes and lay out a towel. Rinse and scrub under running hot water again, but with no soap, then I pat/air dry pieces. Doing this I never taste the soap. I've never gotten anything that seemed to have machine oil on it (that I've noticed). I'm sure if there is machine oil, I may have to Rinse to Dawn a few times.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
What are you vaping them on? As long as you have a VV mod theres no problem vaping the coils they came with. Just pop them on your mod and go to town at the highest voltage possible if you so wish. Easy peasy. I never wash them. I honestly don't care. I never taste this "machine oil" unless its a little 510 disposable atty. The RDAs I've purchased have never had anything in em that made things taste gross.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
What are you vaping them on? As long as you have a VV mod theres no problem vaping the coils they came with. Just pop them on your mod and go to town at the highest voltage possible if you so wish. Easy peasy. I never wash them. I honestly don't care. I never taste this "machine oil" unless its a little 510 disposable atty. The RDAs I've purchased have never had anything in em that made things taste gross.

I have had quite the opposite experience as Plumes.91. I think just about all of my attys I have purchased have had some kind of machine oil in them.
Some, maybe just a spot here or there, but enough to effect the taste.
Some, like my kayfun clones, have had the airtube completely filled with machine oil. So much so, that you can't even draw air through it.
I clean everything.
I put a post about my process in my blog here.
I think I have over 40 attys, most of which are clones, but a few are not. Even my nicer attys have had machine oil in them.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
FWIW, I use non-scented dish soap and various brush implements (a cheap soft toothbrush, a brush used for cleaning baby bottle nipples, and for the small stuff, those disposable tiny brushes for flossing your teeth).

For a new metal atty, I don't take chances with getting oil in my vape. I clean with dish soap, then use a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner filled with 91% isopropyl. I do a few ultrasonic cycles, then usually let it sit overnight. Final rinse under hot water (get all the alcohol out), then it's good to go.

GemCutter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2014
Maine USA
Just bought some clones myself, a trident "foggy" and a kayfun. Both are made with "PMMA" and smell and taste horrible. I scrubbed the crap out of them with soap and water and it is still really bad. It reminds me of a cheap rubber handle from a china made hammer (not the mod the tool) and the smell never went away.

The rubber o-rings also smell like it but not as bad. I have searched and searched but I can only find info about cleaning machine oil off and that's not whatever this is.

I am worried I will never be able to use kayfun without changing the pmma section and possibly the o-rings as well and the same with the trident, only way worse.

Anyone encounter this? Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread