What's the difference in the gauge of coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaNap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Atlanta

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
I'm not a veteran to Reo (only 3 days in, lol). That said, I also prefer a "cooler" vape. I find w/ the RM2, 28ga @ 1.2-1.3ohms is not hot at all. Well, it IS, but it is smooth and luscious; no "hot" or "harsh" going on. I haven't gotten a coil w/ 30ga to meter less than 1.8ohms (or to give a satisfactory vape for my taste). If you're aiming for ~1.0ohm, might as well get you some 28g or 27g. Just my experience with NON micro coils, those gauges should get to your target resistance.

ETA: And as others have stated already, 30ga is always a versatile size as well. We all coil differently (i.e. one person's 6/7 wrap 28ga can be the same resistance as another's 30ga 6/7 wrap).

Last edited:

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
28 is a nice balance between size of the wire and ohm range of a 6 to 11 wrap coil. It also relatively easy to get good coils with, a good beginners ga. With 28ga you can control the coolness of the vape by changing the ohm of the coil and the amount of air flow over it. I've used 28 to go anywhere from .6 ohms to 1.3 ohm coils. I seem to like about .96 ohms. when I use 30 ga it's typically two of the wires twisted together to keep the ohms low.

Cptfunpants

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
VA

marsos52

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
new jersey
probably many herecan answer your question better than I can.

To me. the lower the ohms of your coil the warmer the vape. As the gauge of the wire, it will only change the number of coils need to achieve the ohms you want to have.

.9 to 1.0 ohm coils is not really a cool vape, but not warm either. I find handmade coils vape cooler than store bought coils in a cartomizer or atomizer. make a 1.5 ohm coil and compare it to a manufactured coil at 1.5 and see if its the same or different to your taste.

I use 28 gauge wire, 3 coils give me .6 ohms, 4 coils meter .8 ohms and 5 coils made a 1 ohms coil.
to my taste .6 is warm .8 is warm too. 1.0 is cool to my taste. this could be totally different to you.

you'll need to try and try till you find exactly want you are looking for.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Store bought attys have less airflow that is why even with higher ohm coils they seem hotter. I used to vape a 2.5 ohm atty at 8 watts and thought 1.5 ohm attys burned my throat at 8watts. I was amazed to find on the RM2 I now vape a .96 ohm coil at over 18 watts and think it's much better flavor than before.

SeaNap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Atlanta
Marsos, what are you wrapping the coils on?

The ID of the coil affects how many wraps, which affects the resistance. As a comparison, a micro coil (ID of 0.055" or 1/16) with 10 wraps around 0.055" ID will also be about .8ohms.

There's a lot of factors, but it'll become second nature once you wrap a few coils.

:vapor::toast:

Rmcgloth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Sandy,or
At a certain point, when you have several choices, what you reach for tells a tale. With six spools from 24to 30, I still go for the 28 or 29 most of the time. 27 in Rene wire when I am feeling adventurous. 26 just takes too long to heat for me, and 30 is ok, but a springy mess to work with compared to the 28-29. Just me two cents..

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
At a certain point, when you have several choices, what you reach for tells a tale. With six spools from 24to 30, I still go for the 28 or 29 most of the time. 27 in Rene wire when I am feeling adventurous. 26 just takes too long to heat for me, and 30 is ok, but a springy mess to work with compared to the 28-29. Just me two cents..

This. ^^^ I haven't gone lower than 27 gauge, but I've found I like 28 gauge best of all. If I'm wrapping a coil for my VV grand, I'll use the 30 gauge and go for higher ohms.

marsos52

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2013
new jersey
seanap, you asked what I wrap my coils on. I have no idea what the diameter size is. I just use a small pocket screwdriver I found lying around, the shaft is the same with as the screwdriver blade, the blade is so small it doubles as a pick to help adjust my coils too.

some day I will get my drill bits out and find out what size I build my coils on. it is nowhere near micro coil size at all.
I'd be lost if I ever lost it. I just used a cheap caliaper and its a tad under 1.8 inch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread