E-cigs & Blue Cross/Blue Shield Regs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
I was scheduled to have back surgery this month & recently found out that BC/BS is denying my surgery because I'm a smoker. They say I have to be done with smoking for 6 weeks before they will approve my surgery. I was planning on quitting soon anyway but was slightly upset about them not telling me before. No info in any literature. First of all, I would like to know how they would know if I quit or not. Is there a test? I recently started using the ecigs and am wondering if anyone has had any experience with insurance providers and ecigs.

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Yes, there is a test, but it's a nicotine test. So someone heavy hitting the approved NRT patches would test positive as well. That's a whole can of worms right there, affects people looking for employment too, but I'll leave it at that.

The real reason I replied though is I wanted to ask: Man, on what grounds are they denying you back surgery just because you smoke/smoked? I mean seriously! This one I gotta hear.

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
And the half life of cotinine is about 20 hours. So we are talking days and days before there is no trace or anything that paints you as a nicotine addict. (It's not as simple as just giving up the puffing 24 hours before the test.)

I think the real question is are they gonna haul you into a lab just to see what kind of substances you are addicted to? And I'm still curious to know why they even care. I'm assuming you were truthful before even purchasing the policy so there must be some medical reason rather than an "ah hah!" type thing.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
And the half life of cotinine is about 20 hours. So we are talking days and days before there is no trace or anything that paints you as a nicotine addict. (It's not as simple as just giving up the puffing 24 hours before the test.)

I think the real question is are they gonna haul you into a lab just to see what kind of substances you are addicted to? And I'm still curious to know why they even care. I'm assuming you were truthful before even purchasing the policy so there must be some medical reason rather than an "ah hah!" type thing.

Ahh..I didn't know that. So about a week of waiting to be safe. Good info to have should I ever have to live in country without socialized medicine.

sorry..couldn't resist :)

momswann

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Virginia, USA
I highly doubt that BC/BS is denying your surgery because they are worried about complications. I'm sorry, I just don't think health insurance companies are altruistic. I just wonder if they are putting weight restrictions on morbidly obese people as well. Probably not, because that would be politically incorrect, whereas jumping all over smokers IS politically correct.

Just my little morning vent....

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Idahojo
How long have you had your policy? How did they know you smoked? I've googled your situation, but relative to smoking I'm not getting links with much info.

If time permits, I'll wotk on it before bed. Right now I can't see your state. If you don't have it posted could you let me know via a message what State you live in. It might help me with searching for information and appeals for you. Thanks!

momswann
Obesity is on the radar already
How Employers Wage War On Workplace Obesity - Forbes.com

In Tennessee BC/BS is requiring an IQ test prior to allowing surgery for the obese.
Tennessee has IQ test requirement for weight loss surgery! Wow!-Obesity Surgery-Obesity Discussion Forums

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
I don't know about BC/BS and the surgery issues, but I do know I'm listed as a tobacco user with my current life insurance and I had not smoked for 3wks before they did the saliva test. Like the DNA swabs you see on TV. Cotton swab in the mouth.

I was looking at switching companies and the lady told me at least 30 days off nicotine if I wanted a chance at passing, but 60days should guarantee it. How accurate that is or whether it's actually the nicotine and not something else, I can't say. That's just what the insurance lady told me. HTH

Forgot to say I've had many issues with BC/BS over the years over a range of things. Things like refusing to cover my son's birth because he was too old to be listed as a dependent. Now I was 21 at the time and this was the charges for his birth. They kept insisting he was something like 64yrs old. Rather than just fix the error on his DOB that whoever had made when they entered it into the computer, I had to physically take him into their offices so they could inspect him to verify he was indeed a newborn infant. :shock:

Once they finally fixed the error they told the doctor's office to resubmit. When she did they then denied the claim saying the doctor had waited too long to file. Good luck with them.

Last edited:

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
Thanks for all the input. Supposedly they say smoking affects the healing process. I'm on BC/BS with work and answered truthfully on the initial papers. But I don't remember anywhere in the literature where they said they could deny me healthcare because of smoking. I live in Idaho. But I would like to know if it's the nicotine that affects the healing or the actual smoke from analogs that affect it.

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
BC/BS is a Big Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Just Beware of BlueCross / Blueshield!

Their CEO's Hit The Most Outrageous Pay Scale Then Got High Raises On Top Of That!

In A Recent News Report BC/BS is Claiming Big Loss's! What a Crock of Shiet!

BC/BS = Money & Greed

They Pulled Some Crap With Me Several Times As Well, I had it corrected but it was hell!

Screw BC/BS!

Keep Vapin!

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
I have wondered about e smoking and health/life insurance. What if I had quit smoking for 6 months but still used the patch? Nicotine would still show, but I am not smoking. ya know?

Hi QueenInNC,

Some Companies Do Test for Smokers By Testing For Nicotine In The Blood!

With The Patch or Other Nicotine Source You Will Be Considered A Smoker With The Companies That Do Test For Nicotine.

But Not All Insurance Companies Use The Nicotine Test, But it is standard with most of them!

I think Testing For a Smoker with the Nicotine test is BS!

But How do we change a standard test?

Hope this Helps!

Last edited:

QueenInNC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2009
Charlotte, NC USA
Hi QueenInNC,

Some Companies Do Test for Smokers By Testing For Nicotine In The Blood!

With The Patch or Other Nicotine Source You Will Be Considered A Smoker With The Companies That Do Test For Nicotine.

But Not Insurance Use The Nicotine Test, But it is standard with most of them!

I think Testing For a Smoker with the Nicotine test is BS!

But How do we change a standard test?

Hope this Helps!

I agree!!!!

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Found this scary article

The Ever Rising Health Care Cost, has to be Cut off Now. | NowPublic News Coverage

".... Last week I took part in a think Tank about the future of Health care...

The most realistic coast savings would be achieved with deeply ethical and moral changes, such as no longer keeping coma patients on live support for longer then a month. Alternatively, letting severely handicapped and premature new-born babies dye rather then put them through life support, surgery and highly questionable interventions. Each premature new-born not receiving such intervention would save around $700,000.00.

In addition putting a cap on life saving surgeries such as an age limit of 70, meaning no more surgeries can be performed after that age no matter the cause.

For terminally ill patients such as cancer patients allow assisted suicide or also called dignified dying aid. Other such issues came up of course and many questions where raised, both ethical and pragmatical."

This is very scary to me... Who is next??? America better wake up! It reminds me of the premises of Nazism and that perfect race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread