Important E-Cigarette Research Opportunity (and Contest too!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbemel

Jan 26, 2014
Orem, UT
Hello. Your input is needed in a very important study analyzing the characteristics of vapers. The study will gather information about vapers including exposure to marketing, use of e-cigs, opinions related to your e-cigs, and social networking habits. The survey shouldn’t take longer than 15 minutes and, after completing the entire survey your name will be entered into a drawing for a $40 Wal-Mart gift card. Your first name and email address will only be used hold the drawing and contact the winners and won’t be connected to your responses in any way, so please be honest in your answers. Also, be sure to read the Informed Consent statement at the beginning of the survey before answering any questions. If you’re interested in participating, you can access the survey through the following link: (http://uvu.qualtrics.com//SE/?SID=SV_3yErHUFbuyUTMbP; Utah Valley University IRB Approval #01184). Thank you.:)

NOTE: Previous participants have indicated that the survey is geared more toward those using 'cig-alikes' or disposable e-cigarettes. Please take this into consideration when deciding whether or not to participate. Thank you.

Angiebubs

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2013
Amery, WI
I am a little hesitant with this, since I googled Dr James Bemels name here are some things I found:

-Multiple presentations on Cancer, tobacco Cessation, tobacco prevention, Substance abuse, Preventing and Reducing TObacco Use in your COmmunity, etc.
Ph.D. University of Utah 2008 Health Promotion & Education (The Cognitive Effects of Nicotine in Methamphetamine Users)

What are his plans or agenda with the data collected?

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA
Sounds to me like he's the perfect man for the job... after all, nicotine IS an addictive drug!! :D

Although I don't see what my Religious and/or Political beliefs have to do with anything... or my Parents education??
And I couldn't find anything about him or the survey on the CASAA** website, but I will post it on their FB page and see what they have to say... :)

** If you aren't a member of CASAA, please join... it's FREE!!
CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

DocTonyNYC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
San Juan, Puerto Rico (and NYC)
As some of you know already, I'm a college professor and researcher. I don't talk about it much, but I'm mentioning it now because I do have pretty good understanding of research design.

I'm a little troubled by some of the questions on the survey. I'm not really sure that the researcher has a questionable agenda, but I'm concerned that some of questions make it look like the researcher doesn't really know enough basic information about vaping to be doing a formal study. For example, the first question that made me raise an eyebrow was about the "brand" one uses. This, in combination with the questions about "cartridges" makes me wonder if the researcher understands that not everyone uses the disposable cigalikes sold at convenience stores. Granted, he mentioned in the first post that others have pointed this out to him before. It just concerns me because it seems like there is a general lack of understanding that should be in place before conducting a formal study.

From a research perspective, I also was pretty annoyed that there were several questions that forced an answer. I'm assuming that this study was approved by the Institutional Review Board at the researcher's institution (he, in fact, mentions the IRB, but doesn't explicitly state that it was approved), but the IRB made a poor decision approving the study without including an option not to answer questions such as race, income, discretionary spending, etc.

Again, I can't tell what the researcher is really hoping to do with this study (to discover if vapers have characteristics in common is pretty vague), but I'm not particularly impressed with the design of the study.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Let me guess, question 7 is:

"Have you stopped screwing your daughters yet?"

And they let you choose from all possible answers:

a) Yes
b) No
c) Maybe
d) I don't know
e) She's over 18 so MYOB

It is a well-recognized fact that surveys like this need to be formulated very carefully if they are to be of any scientific use.

Leading questions, questions that limit your response choices, and subtle wording of questions can all provide significant biases in the results.

Soliciting responses to this "study" on ECF is a transparent and very strong bias, and it is extremely difficult to extract any meaningful results from such a skewed data sample.

But forget about all that. Have you stopped beating your wife?

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Let me guess, question 7 is:

"Have you stopped screwing your daughters yet?"

And they let you choose from all possible answers:

a) Yes
b) No
c) Maybe
d) I don't know
e) She's over 18 so MYOB

It is a well-recognized fact that surveys like this need to be formulated very carefully if they are to be of any scientific use.

Leading questions, questions that limit your response choices, and subtle wording of questions can all provide significant biases in the results.

Soliciting responses to this "study" on ECF is a transparent and very strong bias, and it is extremely difficult to extract any meaningful results from such a skewed data sample.

But forget about all that. Have you stopped beating your wife?
HA. That last question might be a reasonable one in my state, depending on who you ask. They still have a law on the books that they call "The Rule Of Thumb". States you can smack your wife with a stick only on Sundays, if the stick is no thicker than your thumb. That's not tested in this home, but I heard it on a radio show about two years ago. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread