Questions From A Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all

I am currently using a kayfun Lite clone built at 1.25 ohms. I have been experimenting with cotton yarn (boiled) and organic cotton. It seems that the yarn is much more resistant to flooding but it is prone to burning. The cotton seems to produce a much better flavor but is prone to flooding. Has anyone else had similar results? I think I may be threading the yarn too tightly through the coil so I am going to experiment with that next. What wicking material do you prefer in your Kayfun? What resistance have you found to produce the best flavored vapor?

I am also interested in upgrading from a Kayfun Lite clone on a Nemesis clone mod to the authentic versions. I have noticed that the threads seem to be on the lower end of the quality scale on both clones but more so on the Kayfun. Has anyone noticed enough of a quality difference between the authentic Kayfun Lite Pro and the knockoff and between the legitimate Nemesis and the hcigar Nemesis clone to warrant the purchase? I know the hcigar clone is supposed to be pretty close to the authentic version, that's why i bought it in the first place. But can the discerning eye tell a difference in the quality? What is a site that is considered reputable that would be good to order those items from? I am on the Western US coast, so the closer the shipping location is to me, the better.

Last edited:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I use the kayfun all the time. I make a micro/mini coil. I thread with cotton. I carefully "paint" the cotton to the side walls. See Rip Trippers video on this. This wicks brilliantly and never floods. Flooding can occur if the draw is too tight, or the heat is too low, but usually both at the same time will do this. Air flow control is also juice control, so keep this in mind. 1.25 ohms is near my perfect resistance. 11 or 12 Watts....Yummy!

It is also possible to get leaking if the device is not filled correctly and the natural pressure seal is "broken." Usually, I will just empty and refill when this happens. It's tricky, particularly if you do it from the top. Then you have to catch a thread, invert, screw top in, then turn right side up. Easier to do than describe...for me at least. Good luck!

Edit: Thanks Vapoor Eyes for the introduction! Didn't see that until hours later. You know I'm a big Kayfun fan. The truth is that these latest rebuildable tank atomizers like the Kayfun, Taifun, Aqua, etc. are very much like RBA's with a tank. It's all about the build. I strongly urge those who are still wrapping cotton yarn or other wick materials with wire to stop. Wrap a micro/mini coil. This is a contact coil with 8+ wraps. Thread with cotton balls, cotton bulk, or similar and leave some to drape down the side walls. Apply juice liberally to "paint" it to these side walls. THEN put the chimney tube and cap back on. This is at least a magnitude better in vapor production, flavor, throat hit, and you will likely have to reduce your "normal" nicotine to a lower level, because these coils just hit that much better. Night and day. I don't wrap any wick with wire anymore. I build a coil, then wick it with cotton, or mesh, and carefully arrange my wicks with juice to their optimum placement for air flow and wicking. Once I started doing this, I have not gone back to carto tanks or clearos for months now. The Kayfun and Taifun are my favorites, but I'm just now starting to work with the Aqua, so we'll see. Either of these first two are brilliant in their vape, and a huge difference over where I started from. Never saw myself doing any rebuilding. I'm old, arthritic, nearly blind and clumsy. I figure if I can do it, anyone can do it. It's easy in every way except in our minds that discount the notion, before we try to do it. Contempt before examination is a loser every time it's tried. So, try it, and love your vape. Good luck!!!

Last edited:

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
I use regular cotton balls in my KFL (clone). I cant see how it can flood with the chamber so high up. Remember to seal the tank before filling and fill through the fill hole.

Threads on my KFL and Nemesis (both clones, both Fasttech) are buttery.

Edit: just saw Bills explanation on flooding. Yeah, i use a 0.7 ohm micro coil so it drinks any juice you can give it. The lack of power never crossed my mind.

JoeDerty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Carrollton, Georgia, United States
I use the kayfun all the time. I make a micro/mini coil. I thread with cotton. I carefully "paint" the cotton to the side walls. See Rip Trippers video on this. This wicks brilliantly and never floods. Flooding can occur if the draw is too tight, or the heat is too low, but usually both at the same time will do this. Air flow control is also juice control, so keep this in mind. 1.25 ohms is near my perfect resistance. 11 or 12 Watts....Yummy!

It is also possible to get leaking if the device is not filled correctly and the natural pressure seal is "broken." Usually, I will just empty and refill when this happens. It's tricky, particularly if you do it from the top. Then you have to catch a thread, invert, screw top in, then turn right side up. Easier to do than describe...for me at least. Good luck!

Best answer you can get!^^^ Ive tried wicking the cotton a ton of different ways thats the only way i dont get flooding or dry hits.

So, I changed the wick and only doubled it up instead of quadrupling (like the guys at the vape store have been doing) with the cotton yarn and it works much better. I noticed that when I changed out the wick it was quite tight and burned around where it touched the coil. This wick was only 5 hours old. I'll let you know if this fixes the problem in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread