Status
Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
So i just bought a hcigar nemesis & wondering the best way to clean 316 SS tubes while avoiding long tern rust. Is it as easy as just rinsing in warm water & letting it air dry? thx

This is going to seem complicated and obsessive - actually takes less time to do than it took to write this little "guide".

Cleaning with warm soapy water works nicely to remove the usual "stuff" that collects on mechs. Dry with compressed air (compressor or computer blast cans) or just soft cotton toweling. Some prefer to use nothing but 99% IPA... which I have no issues with if that's your preference.
If the contacts have a bit of corrosion, that can be gently removed with a fine scotchbrite pad, equally fine stainless steel wool or sponge - or 1000 grit or finer wet/dry sandpaper. Rinse cleaning residue with 99% IPA.

Although I prefer MG Silver grease on electrical contacts and even threads (link for tech reference - buy from Amazon - it's cheaper) - it can be a bit expensive for some - so what ever your preferred anti-corrosion electrical grease - Noalox, Ox-Gard, NO OX ID A and so on. Bare, clean SS works just peachy too.

If it's bare, polished SS, you may re-polish it with any common metal polish - Mother's, Simichrome, Nevr-Dull - what ever you like - to maintain the finish. Some polishes will leave a protective residue... which in most cases IMO, isn't all that protective.

Finish with a few light coats of (specifically) Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax to all exterior surfaces (read up on this and you'll understand why it's preferred by so many) - work it in with your fingers then buff lightly to remove residue, using an "extra soft" toothbrush for grooves/crevices and engravings.

Make sure there is no water remaining inside prior to installing a battery. ;)

NerdVap0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Bay Area
This is going to seem complicated and obsessive - actually takes less time to do than it took to write this little "guide".

Cleaning with warm soapy water works nicely to remove the usual "stuff" that collects on mechs. Dry with compressed air (compressor or computer blast cans) or just soft cotton toweling. Some prefer to use nothing but 99% IPA... which I have no issues with if that's your preference.
If the contacts have a bit of corrosion, that can be gently removed with a fine scotchbrite pad, equally fine stainless steel wool or sponge - or 1000 grit or finer wet/dry sandpaper. Rinse cleaning residue with 99% IPA.

Although I prefer MG Silver grease on electrical contacts and even threads (link for tech reference - buy from Amazon - it's cheaper) - it can be a bit expensive for some - so what ever your preferred anti-corrosion electrical grease - Noalox, Ox-Gard, NO OX ID A and so on. Bare, clean SS works just peachy too.

If it's bare, polished SS, you may re-polish it with any common metal polish - Mother's, Simichrome, Nevr-Dull - what ever you like - to maintain the finish. Some polishes will leave a protective residue... which in most cases IMO, isn't all that protective.

Finish with a few light coats of (specifically) Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax to all exterior surfaces (read up on this and you'll understand why it's preferred by so many) - work it in with your fingers then buff lightly to remove residue, using an "extra soft" toothbrush for grooves/crevices and engravings.

Make sure there is no water remaining inside prior to installing a battery. ;)

Thx, nice write up :).

As for just warm water and soap, what ingredients should i avoid?

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Thx, nice write up :).

As for just warm water and soap, what ingredients should i avoid?
Unless we need to call the bomb squad or DEA on you
scare.gif
... it's unlikely there's anything under your kitchen sink that will do damage to SS.

Dish soap, Simple Green, Orange Clean or OxyClean and warm/hot water... any of those will be fine. :)

scscheib

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2014
Pittsburgh,PA,USA
I have a big can of Cape Cod that I use as well. Just be careful and don't use it on anything that you don't want removed such as painted writing, glare proofing agents etc. This stuff is pretty strong and will remove scratches and sometimes stuff that you don't want it to, lol. I wasn't all that experienced with it and it removed the glare proofing on one of my watches sapphire, which isn't easy to remove.

Cape cod polishing cloths is what I use
FOIL POUCH CAPE COD® METAL POLISHING CLOTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread