Protank 2 restricted airflow solution. Quick, Easy and Free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

e32lover

Nov 6, 2013
East Somalia
Hi, not sure if this has been discussed before but I woke up at 5am this morning out of a nightmare with an idea in my head on how to fix this issue with the new protank coils.

Basically with the new style Protank 2 coils, they have a silicone gromet (instead of rubber) which expands when compressed and blocks the airflow on certain devices such as the Provari and Lavatube etc. I bought an Aerotank to use in the mean time until I can get hold of some aero bases for my PT2's but now I dont need to.

This simple trick should solve your restricted airflow issues with the Protank 2.

First, get a spare grommet from one of your old coils and put it around the base of the coil:

IMG_0995.JPG

Push it up the base of the coil:

IMG_0996.JPG

Use your thumb and index finger to roll it over the original grommet so it is sitting around the original grommet:

IMG_0997.JPG

That step is easy but you may struggle with it the first time as it will have a tendency to slip back down, but if you do it right it will stay put, surrounding the original grommet like so:

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1000.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG

If you look at the next pic, the base on the left has only one grommet, the one on the right has two (as per the above technique), and the base of the coil sits a fraction higher, which prevents the base of the coil from becoming compressed when screwed onto a device:

IMG_0994.JPG

This whole technique takes 2 seconds once you have it down. 2 things to note. Make sure the grommet stays in place surrounding the original grommet when you screw the coil into the base. If it slips down it will not work. Secondly, you have to use a bit of pressure to screw it in, and you do need to screw it in tightly.

Give it a shot and see how it goes,

Happy vaping

IMG_1004.JPG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Thats a good idea but it has a bad drawback is that a lot of the PV's have very soft 510 threading and they will strip out very quickly and render the PV useless with having to tighten the atty on too much. I already have a couple that the threads are loosening and/or loose so tightning in a atty will strip them threads. Kanger really chit the bed with those silicone grommets and with that have turned a lot of people off on kanger products. Another answer to the tight draw in the provari is to get a 510/ego adapter(the 510/ego adapter I got from provape is different than ones you buy from other vendors), use the beauty ring but your setup is now bout a inch taller and a lot don't like the look of the ring but it does work. The only real solution to those crappy insulators is to buy 3rd party insulators, rebuild the head and tossing those silicone insulators in the garbage.

You'll see the adapter I got from Provape is much different than the other vendor adapter.

ProVape Adapter1.jpg

ProVape Adapter2.jpg

e32lover

Nov 6, 2013
East Somalia
With respect to air flow on the PT2, the new air flow base totally eliminates any air flow problem for $3.99. Just saying.

If you can get one. Im just using this technique for now, I think if you screw it in tightly but with precision you can probably avoid the threading issues. Also the bases are totally useless atm anyway so doesnt really matter if you screw them up. Ill just be rocking this method for now until I can find a store with the aero bases in stock.

Also just to note there is not extra pressure on the device threads, in fact there will be less pressure on the threads of your device. its only the kanger base threads where the coil screws in that are put under a little extra stress so no chance of actually damaging your vape with this method

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
If you can get one. Im just using this technique for now, I think if you screw it in tightly but with precision you can probably avoid the threading issues. Also the bases are totally useless atm anyway so doesnt really matter if you screw them up. Ill just be rocking this method for now until I can find a store with the aero bases in stock.

Also just to note there is not extra pressure on the device threads, in fact there will be less pressure on the threads of your device. its only the kanger base threads where the coil screws in that are put under a little extra stress so no chance of actually damaging your vape with this method

Go to KangerTech US Electronic Cigarettes - Kanger Official Website. They have them in stock for $4.99. Just saying.

skex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Austin Tx USA
Just tried this trick, took some doing to get the second O-ring to seat on top of the first but one I did and got everything screwed down it seems to be working nicely.

PT2 screwed down all the way on my Provari and I've got airflow as opposed to having to leave it slightly loose. I've ordered an Aerotank base but this will be nice while I wait for it to arrive.

Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread