1.8 / 2.2 / 2.5 ohm Kangertech Evod, Protank 2, Mini Protank 2, Unitank coils - which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COPD

Jan 24, 2014
Birmingham, AL, USA
I'm glad the forum is being reorganized, because I didn't know where I should ask this. Maybe the moderators will move it to the correct category? (There's just too many forums and sub-forums and sub-sub-forums, etc. for a newbie like myself.)

Anyway. I'm buying a New Genuine Kangertech Mini Protank 2 V2 Ego Thread | eBay for the eGo-C setup Mohamed gave me - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...518579-can-i-ask-here-now-6.html#post12038168 - so I can vape flavors that are known to break plastic.

From what I've gathered here (and other places) I won't have to suck/draw as hard to get a good hit with 1.8 ohms. But I'm concerned that 1.8 won't let me suck/draw long enough.

It seems the general consensus is 2.2 or 2.5 ohms.

(I'm not sure what ohms Mohamed sent me, but they work good for me.)

Thanks in advance for your time.

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
Yeah, hard to say until you try a few, which you like best. I've settled in around 2, but I do cotton/Kanthal rebuilds. Kanger should really give 3 or 4 different ohm-rated heads with each new tank so folks can see which they like best. Some say different ohms for different juices but I can make do with just one.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
1.8 = warmer vape, 2.5 = cooler vape.

FYI, in my experience Kanger heads are rarely spot on with their Ohms. A labeled 1.8 Ohm may actually be 2.1. I just checked a stock dual coil Kanger Aero head and it's labeled as 2.0 but it checks out at 2.3 Ohms.

As Ohms Lawbreaker said above, it may be worth looking it to rebuilding them. It is actually much easier than it sounds and the quality of flavor and vapor production kicks a stock coils @$$!

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
1.8 = warmer vape, 2.5 = cooler vape.

FYI, in my experience Kanger heads are rarely spot on with their Ohms. A labeled 1.8 Ohm may actually be 2.1. I just checked a stock dual coil Kanger Aero head and it's labeled as 2.0 but it checks out at 2.3 Ohms.

As Ohms Lawbreaker said above, it may be worth looking it to rebuilding them. It is actually much easier than it sounds and the quality of flavor and vapor production kicks a stock coils @$$!

It has taken me over a month to finally realize that the "scale" for ohms on heads is not very logical to my mind. If it were not for threads like these, I would have thought the lower numbers were cooler, and going up to higher numbers would be warmer.... Vaping is fun, but complicated.:)

Joe_Joe_

Jan 11, 2014
Addison, TX
To be honest COPD, the differences between the kanger stock replacement coils are subtle. You won't jump from a 1.8 to a 2.5 and say "WOW, what a difference!" (but you will most likely notice a difference) Have you looked into what voltage is correct for what resistance? I'm assuming the eGo you received is variable voltage because most of them out there are.

Last edited:

Nataani

Moved On
Nov 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
From what I've gathered here (and other places) I won't have to suck/draw as hard to get a good hit with 1.8 ohms. But I'm concerned that 1.8 won't let me suck/draw long enough.

Its best to not pull as hard as you would on a cigarette when using a clearo, in most cases a slower/lighter pull is going to get you better results.

The amount of time you get on each drag before the battery auto cuts off will not vary depending on coil resistance. Its a set number of seconds.

It seems the general consensus is 2.2 or 2.5 ohms.

The protank mini should come with three different resistance coils, 1.8, 2.2 and 2.5. At least mine did. Try them out and see how you feel.

Personally I build all of my coils to 1.8. Before I started rebuilding them I would get the 1.8 ohm coils and remove one of the flavor wicks, I found that made a big difference. To do so, just pull the metal post off the cup of the atomizer, you will find two threads of silica sitting on top of the coil, remove one of them and then replace the post.

Good luck!

Olddawg

Jan 24, 2014
New Hampshire
I am once again new to this and attempting to move away from analogues
I do hear your plite

My concern has been plastic tanks (well also cleaning/ease of/replacement of....), so I hear you!

My latest purchase is a Davide Mini
Not here yet, so I can not tell you if it really does fill the need
Glass vial, single coil, bottom coil and breaks down nicely for cleaning

Take a look at it
May be what your looking for as well

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Ego-C are normally starter kit Batteries.
If so they would likely be regulated at 3.3v
If regulated at 3.3v the best choice is 1.8ohm since the Mini-Protank is bottom coil and will Vape cooler anyway. Second choice would be the 2.2ohm
I would recommend avoiding 2.5ohm and 2.8ohm coils unless you have a variable Voltage Battery.

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Ego-C are normally starter kit Batteries.
If so they would likely be regulated at 3.3v
If regulated at 3.3v the best choice is 1.8ohm since the Mini-Protank is bottom coil and will Vape cooler anyway. Second choice would be the 2.2ohm
I would recommend avoiding 2.5ohm and 2.8ohm coils unless you have a variable Voltage Battery.

I totally agree with Crxess.
The lower ohm coils will provide more wattage with the fixed voltage devices. With the higher ohm coils the wattage is way too low to properly vaporize the juice.

powerband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2014
Arizona
Ohms law, voltage and watts:
ohms is the electrical resistance to electricity of your coil
Volts divided by ohms = amps so @ 3.3 volts a 1.8 ohm coil will draw 1.83 amps
Amps x volts = wattage (power) so on an 1.8 ohm coil on the 3.3 volt setting will give your coil a 6.05 watt burn

3.3 volts on a 2.2 ohm coil = 1.5 amps x 3.3 volt would equal a 4.8 watt burn
and so on...

edit: as your battery voltage drops so will your output wattage across the coil and performance will dwindle

Last edited:

Grimmda

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2014
Kc
I started with a kanger mini protank with 2.5 coils and got about 25. 1.8's from fasttech. Most say they are crap, but my mvp2 says they range from 1.8 to 2.0 which is fine by me!

I have put an order in for another 25 2.4's from fasttech because half my juices are heavy pg and the 1.8's tend to give a burn taste.

So it all boils down to preference, and juices u like. Try different ones and don't be afraid to draw conclusions for yourself that differ from what "most" tell ya :)

COPD

Jan 24, 2014
Birmingham, AL, USA
cotton/Kanthal rebuilds
I Googled "cotton/Kanthal rebuilds" and found this video (here at e-cigarette-forum)

Vapor Lady Lounge Rebuild a Protank Atomizer, eVod Atomizer A New Way - YouTube on this thread

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ave-organic-cotton-yarn-30-gauge-kanthal.html I'd love to try this! But I dunno about doing it in an 18wheeler, which is where I live under normal circumstances.

It has taken me over a month to finally realize that the "scale" for ohms on heads is not very logical to my mind. If it were not for threads like these, I would have thought the lower numbers were cooler, and going up to higher numbers would be warmer.... Vaping is fun, but complicated.:)
I hear you! It makes even my hair hurt to think about watts, volts, ohms, lightning, kites, keys, and Ben Franklin. But in this case, I think of the ohms as being a dam that holds back electrical current instead of water. The lower the ohms/dam, the more the current/water flows over it.

I'm assuming the eGo you received is variable voltage because most of them out there are.
I don't know. Santa/Mohamed gave them to me - see this post (I have to right click on the link, look at the properties, copy/paste into my address bar to get there) http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...518579-can-i-ask-here-now-6.html#post12038168 . Because of his generosity and the juice he sent, I haven't even wanted a real cigarette in 3 days now. I love him!

Reactions: Banger696
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread