The whole "Kids!" thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I'm starting to see a whole bunch of 18 year olds getting into this.

It's not because they want to quit smoking. It's because all their friends are doing it. Evidentally, a local school here allows vaping if it's zero nic. In class. I don't think this is wise.

I was never peer pressured as a teen. I consciously made the decisions to do what I did. No one said, "Hey, hit this!" I just did because everyone else was doing it.

I have a moral issue selling to eighteen-year-olds. They come into establishments in groups, talk loudly, use profanity, hop like monkeys back and forth, distracting everyone, and they all ask a million questions all at the same time.

I hate that I'm a curmudgeon, I just don't know what to do with myself.

EDIT: I am not an ANTZ, I am a vaper 110% but I don't know why this irks me.

Last edited:

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
Would you feel better if they were passing a bunch of stinkies around instead?

I feel like if it wasn't ecigs then they would be on the Marlys or the Camels. At least this way you have the option to offer them 0 nic juice so they seem cool, while not getting addicted.

For me if I see my kids smoking I'd rather hand them an ego then watch them go through what I did for so,long with the analogs, but that is my opinion.

bencooper74

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
wow the school allows it in class? how could they know if it was really 0 nic? I don't think kids should be using them at all. especially in school...that just gives the wrong impression. My nephew who is 16 says he's seen kids in his school stealth vaping in class. I told him I would kick his ... if I ever catch him smoking or vaping anything. This is an adult hobby.

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
I'm going to chalk it up to finally hitting that curb and just being an old dude.
I think you're looking at vaping as a harm reduction alternative for smokers who are looking to quit, while these kids are looking at it as a safer, fun, tech savvy way to try nicotine instead of smoking in the first place.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
So? That's the point of vaping. Would you expect anybody to smoke if there was no nic?

This is where you and I fundamentally differ in that respect.

Most people (older generation) use this as a means to beat cigarettes.

Most youngsters are just out for the latest fad or want a portable hookah. They're no where near being affected by long-term tobacco use. Once you hit thirty and your lungs feel like they're about to cave in, it all makes sense. These kids are in it only for the "head shop" scene.

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
I'm starting to see a whole bunch of 18 year olds getting into this.

It's not because they want to quit smoking. It's because all their friends are doing it. Evidentally, a local school here allows vaping if it's zero nic. In class. I don't think this is wise.

I was never peer pressured as a teen. I consciously made the decisions to do what I did. No one said, "Hey, hit this!" I just did because everyone else was doing it.

I have a moral issue selling to eighteen-year-olds. They come into establishments in groups, talk loudly, use profanity, hop like monkeys back and forth, distracting everyone, and they all ask a million questions all at the same time.

I hate that I'm a curmudgeon, I just don't know what to do with myself.

EDIT: I am not an ANTZ, I am a vaper 110% but I don't know why this irks me.

I don't think it's wise either, given that they will leave school and enter a workplace that is likely to be completely hostile to it. Nor do I understand how the school can tell what's in the tank... AFAIK zero nic looks and smells just like 24 nic.

Where I live the age is 19 and possibly soon 21 (though I doubt it). The law here is no one under 19 even enters a tobacco or vape store, and I like that law. Of course if they're already addicted to tobacco, fine... but otherwise I don't like it either. Granted, vaping is cool and the gear is cool but then so are lots of things that adults do that kids should not. I am all FOR keeping obnoxious teenagers out of vape stores if only for my own sanity LOL

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
Not only did I misunderstand you but somehow I skimmed the entire school thing. That is some BS, no school should allow vaping. As a parent I would have a gigantic problem with that.

Now on to the part I didn't misunderstand. No they don't smoke, yet. If ecigs were not an option, they would be more easily peer pressured into trying a stinky instead of an ecig. If you are concerned about them being addicted, and again I don't know what your staffing or setup situation is like, if they come in by themselves talk to them about 0 nice options, if they come in with friends try to separate them and when you get them individually you may convince them all to get 0 nic juice and they would all think they have mic when none does.

Even if that fails in the end it is better to get on these then the stinkies. Really if I could tell my 12 year old self to vape this instead of smoke I'm sure my lungs would thank me for it today.

Edit many posts came after I pushed reply and yes teens can be annoying but we all used to be them, as we get older our tolerance for them goes down and seeing a raft of 7 or 8 walking in must give you a headache before the door even opens and the noise floods in.

Last edited:

vjc0628

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2013
Maryville TN
Evidentally, a local school here allows vaping if it's zero nic. In class. I don't think this is wise.

how hard would it be to have a 0 nic bottle and put nic juice in it

but beyond that there are so many issues with this
nothing but bad could come out of it

not to mention even if it is 0 nic its a distraction in class
I mean at least when I was a kid you weren't allowed to eat or chew gum in class for that very reason and its a good reason

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
Evidentally, a local school here allows vaping if it's zero nic. In class. I don't think this is wise.

how hard would it be to have a 0 nic bottle and put nic juice in it

but beyond that there are so many issues with this
nothing but bad could come out of it

not to mention even if it is 0 nic its a distraction in class
I mean at least when I was a kid you weren't allowed to eat or chew gum in class for that very reason and its a good reason

For everything the Antz said about promoting and making "smoking" sexy again this is the one rule that will do it. Why aren't they pushing as hard on the school boards as they are pushing on Congress? This to me is an outrage, and has more influence on what our kids do then anything else.

I joked as a teen in debates that there should be ashtrays on our desks because I knew nothing would come of it, now that I am hearing this I am amazed at the hipocracy and stupidity of some of the people in charge.

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
For everything the Antz said about promoting and making "smoking" sexy again this is the one rule that will do it. Why aren't they pushing as hard on the school boards as they are pushing on Congress? This to me is an outrage, and has more influence on what our kids do then anything else.

I joked as a teen in debates that there should be ashtrays on our desks because I knew nothing would come of it, now that I am hearing this I am amazed at the hipocracy and stupidity of some of the people in charge.
I've been thinking about this for, oh, 10 minutes. To play devils advocate, it helps not only to bring e-cigs out of the smokers pit in highschools, but separates vapers from smokers early on, and opens the discussion up to the whole student body.

It's certainly not an atrocity, there's no laws in most states against minors buying the gear or zero nic juice, and for the school to assume that their students are lying, with no evidence is more of an atrocity in my eyes. Giving kids an inch of freedom and promoting vaping over smoking is a great move, especially if the school has a smoking problem.

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
I've been thinking about this for, oh, 10 minutes. To play devils advocate, it helps not only to bring e-cigs out of the smokers pit in highschools, but separates vapers from smokers early on, and opens the discussion up to the whole student body.

It's certainly not an atrocity, there's no laws in most states against minors buying the gear or zero nic juice, and for the school to assume that their students are lying, with no evidence is more of an atrocity in my eyes. Giving kids an inch of freedom and promoting vaping over smoking is a great move, especially if the school has a smoking problem.

I agree that I would prefer vaping to smoking if they are going to do it. My problem is do they let them vape freely in class where people that don't naturally gravitate to that type are exposed to it or do they give them a vaping room where they can stay inside and vape during breaks.

I went a bit knee jerk and assumed in the classroom, which I am wholly opposed to. A designated room, I don't mind as much. Again I agree it is better for the kids, but why expose kids that otherwise wouldn't bend to or be exposed to the same peer pressure as those out in the pit, by letting them vape during class.

Edit and in Canada it is illegal to sell any sort of smoking device to anyone under 18 and all of our vendors have it clearly stated on their sites and in their stores. They even ID. I had a 30 year old friend get refused because she left her ID at home. So maybe it's a cultural difference also.

Last edited:

Topacka

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2014
Seattle
I agree that I would prefer vaping to smoking if they are going to do it. My problem is do they let them vape freely in class where people that don't naturally gravitate to that type are exposed to it or do they give them a vaping room where they can stay inside and vape during breaks.

I went a bit knee jerk and assumed in the classroom, which I am wholly opposed to. A designated room, I don't mind as much. Again I agree it is better for the kids, but why expose kids that otherwise wouldn't bend to or be exposed to the same peer pressure as those out in the pit, by letting them vape during class.
I think that there's no reason to think that people who wouldn't normally be exposed are going to just take it up because they're exposed. But they might, I don't think we can answer that with any sort of certainty.

A designated room is a great idea! I think it would help those kids who feel alienated by the school system to feel more welcome.

The dangers of this activity are not known fully, but, from what we do know, there have been no medical problems besides pg or vg sensitivities, so, it's great that SCHOOLS, places of education, are coming out in recognition of this data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread