Thyroid Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Way2Gone

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Indiana, USA
I had seen a thread a while back, something about Thyroid, in this forum. Mainly what my question is:

can you start having thyroid problems after quitting smoking ciggerettes?

Does vaping cause people to have thyroid problems?

Like I said I know nothing about thyroid and have been experiencing some trouble while vaping and was going to see if I can maybe link it. Who knows, I probably don't have nothing but, its always good to make sure.

Any information you can help provide for me about what causes thyroid and some symptoms would be awesome.

Thanks for any help.

Way2Gone

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Indiana, USA

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Yep, this happened to me. I was predisposed, and probably already hypothyroid but relatively symptom-free until about 2 months after I quit. At 5 months I was Dx with one of the worst cases of auto-immune hypothyroid my dr had seen. Never once did I think to connect vaping with it, but did find the above study as well as several others which link Hashimoto's Thyroiditis to recent smoking cessation.

If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer. :)

Way2Gone

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Indiana, USA
Yep, this happened to me. I was predisposed, and probably already hypothyroid but relatively symptom-free until about 2 months after I quit. At 5 months I was Dx with one of the worst cases of auto-immune hypothyroid my dr had seen. Never once did I think to connect vaping with it, but did find the above study as well as several others which link Hashimoto's Thyroiditis to recent smoking cessation.

If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer. :)

So basically hypothyroid "can" be caused by quitting smoking, which makes the autobodies (I think that is the word) go crazy in a sense, which increases your chances of having hypothyroid type of issues?

Does e ciggerettes have any effect on this?

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
So basically hypothyroid "can" be caused by quitting smoking, which makes the autobodies (I think that is the word) go crazy in a sense, which increases your chances of having hypothyroid type of issues?

Does e ciggerettes have any effect on this?

It isn't really caused by it. If you don't have a family history or injury that might predispose you, it's not likely that you'll get Hashimoto's when you quit. It may be possible to get temporary hypo that's not auto-immune due to the fact that any stress will whack out your endocrine system.

In my case, I asked to be tested 5 years ago, and I didn't know at the time that the tests that are normally run aren't adequate. My mother has it, her sister, my sister and one brother have it, my great aunt and grandfather also had it. I knew the signs and was watchful.

There is an alkaloid in tobacco that appears to keep the antibodies from forming. They don't really know why that is. But the antibody attack is what causes *most* of the symptoms. So by smoking, I was inadvertently keeping away what would have eventually come over time. I just sped up the process by removing the alkaloid that was stopping the progression. All hell broke loose when I quit.

I've been on thyroid replacement hormone now since August, and vaping hasn't seemed to effect things either way. I do sometimes use snus and WTA and THOSE seem to help me with alertness and mood, maybe they help whatever inflammation I have and am not aware of it.

Unfortunately most hypothyroid symptoms (there are 300 of them) are often attributed to other things. This was my case until I got so sick I KNEW that my thyroid had taken a dump on me. What I experienced:

~After an approximate 5-10 lb loss of weight after the first 2 months of vaping, I gained 20 lbs in 2 months.
~EXTREME fatigue--like beyond being tired. Like falling asleep sitting up, almost falling asleep driving after a full night's sleep. Completely unable to keep eyes open
~Forgetting the right words in mid-sentence (in one instance I kept thinking "calculator" but I kept saying "computer")
~Facial and neck swelling, especially at my temples. Right before dx, I had almost completely lost my jawline, and couldn't feel my collarbones or shoulder-blades

What happened over a long period of time, that no doctor ever connected with the disease:

~Loss of libido
~slight weight gain despite a good diet (never obese, just 15-20lb overweight)
~headaches
~sinusitis (chronic)
~badly cracked heels this is a strong indicator. I had this for 3 years and within a month of medication they are now smooth.
~loss of the outer part of my eyebrows, and the inner part thinning (this is a classic sign of hypothyroid).
~thinning hair - I have lost about 60% of my hair to this point. It has stopped but doesn't seem to be growing back much yet.
~General tiredness, needing to nap regularly or sleep 12+ hours when possible, and still not rested.

There are more, but those are the biggies.

I'm still having some cognitive issues (my posts sometimes are jumbled and I often have to go back and edit), but usually that's at the end of the day when I'm fairly tired (I have a very high-stress, fast-paced job).

But most of the above stuff had either completely resolved or is so much better than before that I'm happy for now. I do expect to continue to improve, though.

Last edited:

Way2Gone

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Indiana, USA
It isn't really caused by it. If you don't have a family history or injury that might predispose you, it's not likely that you'll get Hashimoto's when you quit. It may be possible to get temporary hypo that's not auto-immune due to the fact that any stress will whack out your endocrine system.

In my case, I asked to be tested 5 years ago, and I didn't know at the time that the tests that are normally run aren't adequate. My mother has it, her sister, my sister and one brother have it, my great aunt and grandfather also had it. I knew the signs and was watchful.

There is an alkaloid in tobacco that appears to keep the antibodies from forming. They don't really know why that is. But the antibody attack is what causes *most* of the symptoms. So by smoking, I was inadvertently keeping away what would have eventually come over time. I just sped up the process by removing the alkaloid that was stopping the progression. All hell broke loose when I quit.

I've been on thyroid replacement hormone now since August, and vaping hasn't seemed to effect things either way. I do sometimes use snus and WTA and THOSE seem to help me with alertness and mood, maybe they help whatever inflammation I have and am not aware of it.

Unfortunately most hypothyroid symptoms (there are 300 of them) are often attributed to other things. This was my case until I got so sick I KNEW that my thyroid had taken a dump on me. What I experienced:

~After an approximate 5-10 lb loss of weight after the first 2 months of vaping, I gained 20 lbs in 2 months.
~EXTREME fatigue--like beyond being tired. Like falling asleep sitting up, almost falling asleep driving after a full night's sleep. Completely unable to keep eyes open
~Forgetting the right words in mid-sentence (in one instance I kept thinking "calculator" but I kept saying "computer")
~Facial and neck swelling, especially at my temples. Right before dx, I had almost completely lost my jawline, and couldn't feel my collarbones or shoulder-blades

What happened over a long period of time, that no doctor ever connected with the disease:

~Loss of libido
~headaches
~sinusitis (chronic)
~badly cracked heels this is a strong indicator. I had this for 3 years and within a month of medication they are now smooth.
~loss of the outer part of my eyebrows, and the inner part thinning (this is a classic sign of hypothyroid).
~thinning hair - I have lost about 60% of my hair to this point. It has stopped but doesn't seem to be growing back much yet.
~General tiredness, needing to nap regularly or sleep 12+ hours when possible, and still not rested.

I'm still having some cognitive issues (my posts sometimes are jumbled and I often have to go back and edit), but usually that's at the end of the day when I'm fairly tired (I have a very high-stress, fast-paced job).

But most of the above stuff had either completely resolved or is so much better than before that I'm happy for now. I do expect to continue to improve, though.

Thank you for the information, as you said the vaping doesn't bother it, that makes me feel better. I don't think I have any thyroid problems at 80% of the symptoms you had I do not have. The only thing I get day to day is being super tired out of nowhere. But that is about the only link I can connect with. Also, None of my immediate family has any thyroid issues, so hopefully I am not experiencing throid issues.

I highly thank you for all of your help, I very much appreciate it.

I hope the best of health to you. Take care now.. :)

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com

~Loss of libido
~headaches
~sinusitis (chronic)

Just curious but did you or have you taken "steroids" such as prednisone in large quantities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Glad I could help. Not everyone has such severe symptoms. If you're over 50, it's not a bad idea to get a full thyroid panel done just to be sure. More than 50% of women over 60 are hypothyroid, and most are not diagnosed.

If you're just tired alot, try taking a B Complex vitamin daily. It won't hurt you; anything your body doesn't need it will eliminate. If you're in an area with little sunlight, also have your Vit D checked. These are very inexpensive supplements and make a huge difference in energy and immune function.

Good luck to you!

Way2Gone

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Indiana, USA
Glad I could help. Not everyone has such severe symptoms. If you're over 50, it's not a bad idea to get a full thyroid panel done just to be sure. More than 50% of women over 60 are hypothyroid, and most are not diagnosed.

If you're just tired alot, try taking a B Complex vitamin daily. It won't hurt you; anything your body doesn't need it will eliminate. If you're in an area with little sunlight, also have your Vit D checked. These are very inexpensive supplements and make a huge difference in energy and immune function.

Good luck to you!

Thank you very much . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread