• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Cannot get cotton wick working!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Cotton wick is a game changer. The biggest thing to remember is that "less is more" when using cotton. Try using just enough to go through the coil but can still easily move while still touching the inside of the coil (cotton will expand just a bit when wet). You also do not want plump ends and want to twist it so that the cotton coming out the ends of the coil do not bush out and stay like a strand of silica (same thickness through out the entire wick). It can be tricky but will work great once you figure it out. Hope this helps!

Edit: You also do not want to move the coil. There is a possiblilty that you may have moved the coil and are causing a short (hence the no vapor). Do you have a meter to test the resistance?

turnippits

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
middlesbrough england
I've tried re-wicking my Evod heads about 5-6 times using cotton but there is little or no vapour being produced! what am i doing wrong!!??

are you making your wick to thick or are you compressing it to much and making your wick to hard i find the evod heads very easy to wick with cotton and i am a newby to coil rebuilding good luck and reduce the amount of cotton as i can sit in a cloud :vapor:

Bubblegum

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2013
UK, Kent
Cotton wick is a game changer. The biggest thing to remember is that "less is more" when using cotton. Try using just enough to go through the coil but can still easily move while still touching the inside of the coil (cotton will expand just a bit when wet). You also do not want plump ends and want to twist it so that the cotton coming out the ends of the coil do not bush out and stay like a strand of silica (same thickness through out the entire wick). It can be tricky but will work great once you figure it out. Hope this helps!

Edit: You also do not want to move the coil. There is a possiblilty that you may have moved the coil and are causing a short (hence the no vapor). Do you have a meter to test the resistance?

Well I though maybe i wasn't using enough. i thought the cotton has to be touching the coil when inside of it.

I don't have a meter but ordered one from FT so still waiting on that to come.

are you making your wick to thick or are you compressing it to much and making your wick to hard i find the evod heads very easy to wick with cotton and i am a newby to coil rebuilding good luck and reduce the amount of cotton as i can sit in a cloud :vapor:

I think I might be using too much wick yes. I did try a little to start but there was very minimal vapour.

By the way im using (80% vg 10% pg) e-juice and rest it 10% distilled water

the standard stock heads with silica producing good amount of vapour but the heads seems crap so i want to make my own.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I've tried re-wicking my Evod heads about 5-6 times using cotton but there is little or no vapour being produced! what am i doing wrong!!??

Well I though maybe i wasn't using enough. i thought the cotton has to be touching the coil when inside of it.

What kind of wire did you use? How many turns on what size mandrel? How do the coils look when you dry-burn them (with no wick in 'em, obviously)?

Can you post up some pictures? It's hard to say what's wrong without seeing it.

Bubblegum

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2013
UK, Kent
Pictures are not that clear sorry!

IMG_9641.jpg IMG_9640.jpg IMG_9642.jpg IMG_9643.jpg IMG_9644.jpg

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Looks to me like you wrapped the coil around the cotton? I don't think that's a good idea. My guess is it will choke the cotton. What you want for these heads is a "Micro Coil"; you install that in the head first, then you pull some cotton through the coil. I use some additional cotton on top of the coil as a "flavor wick" as well. I roll that a little tighter than the stuff I pull through the coil. Also, 3.1 ohms sounds too high. I have a Mini PT2 here that uses essentially the same head; the coil in it is 2.1 ohms (8 or 9 wraps of 30 gauge would around a 1/16" drill bit) and it vapes great with cotton at around 8 watts.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
Wick looks fine IMO. If your coil is 3.1 ohms, I'd say that is your first problem. Not sure what device you're using but if you're only putting out 3.7 volts, I'd say 3.1 ohms is definitely your problem.

Matter of fact, even at 5 volts, with a 3.1 ohm coil you'd still be only getting around 8 watts. I'd try making a coil with less wraps man.

Last edited:

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
Thanks guys! Will keep trying!

I was guessing the number of coils to do.

I was using a standard 3.7v battery also have a twist but that only goes to 4.8.

Is there a number of loops to do to get 2.5ohm?

There is no easy answer here. It depends on the gauge wire, size of loops, and length of coil legs. I'd recommend taking out 3 loops from the coil in the pics. Then test the ohms on your Seg.

Of course much of this will be a matter of personal preference, but IMO 2.5 ohms would still be quite high for a 3.7 volt device.

Bubblegum

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2013
UK, Kent
There is no easy answer here. It depends on the gauge wire, size of loops, and length of coil legs. I'd recommend taking out 3 loops from the coil in the pics. Then test the ohms on your Seg.

Of course much of this will be a matter of personal preference, but IMO 2.5 ohms would still be quite high for a 3.7 volt device.

Really?? iv'e always used the pre-coiled heads and there 2.5ohm?

I still don't understand ohm's and watts!

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
Really?? iv'e always used the pre-coiled heads and there 2.5ohm?

I still don't understand ohm's and watts!

No big deal. If that is the set up you enjoy there's not a thing wrong with it. I like a bit more vapor, warmth, and flavor so I tend to enjoy a bit lower resistance if I'm using lower voltage.

An ohm is simply a unit of resistance. The lower the ohm, the lower the resistance of a coil, therefore the higher the amount of power (watts) that can be produced by the same amount of voltage. Hope that helps.

To kinda explain watts, think of it this way. Wattage (power) = heat. We need heat to vaporize the e liquid, so generally speaking, the more heat (wattage), the more vapor we get. You can manipulate wattage by 2 ways. If you have a variable voltage device, you can simply crank up the voltage to achieve higher wattage (ultimately higher heat).

If you are using a fixed voltage device (lets say 3.7 volts), well clearly you can't crank up the voltage, but you can still increase the wattage (heat) by using a coil of lower resistance, which will increase the flow of electrical current, and as a result increase the wattage (heat) . I used wattage/heat/power interchangeably quite a bit here b/c to a vaper, they are essentially the same thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread