Vapor problems on twisted 28g kanthal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohm ike

Feb 8, 2014
Hey guys I'm pretty new to vaping and read up on safely vaping mechs. So I picked up a k101, sony 30a 18650 IMR, and nimbus v5 clone. I twisted my 28g kanthal and did 9wraps. I only made single coil. It's reading .9 ohms and I'm using organic cotton wick with 100% vg juice. But when I vape I am not getting the nice amount of vapor/taste I want. My itaste mvp2 and iclear 30s produce just as much. I only have that one 3.7v battery. So any ideas on why I'm not getting much vapor? Also will adding another coil identical to the one I have on effect the resistance? Should I try not twisting the kanthal? I was under the impression that twisting made it where you could have higher resistence however somehow burn hotter? Thanks.

SilentFox

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2014
Reno NV
Well have owned 2 k101's both the 510 threads are junk now after dropping it many a time. It in fact doesnt have any protection chips in them and i got astounding amounts of vapor from my setups with it. Twisting kanthal will not increase the resistance but infact decrease it. I highly suggest doing a 7-8 wrap micro on a 7/64th drill bit using a single strand of 28g kanthal. Should give you around a 1.3 ohm resistance and vape quality will be great. Report back after youve tried this setup if you want and let us know the results. Or you can do a 10 wrap on a 5/64th drill bit for a 1.4 ohm coil which i use alot and is an amazing vape.

ohm ike

Feb 8, 2014
image.jpg This is my first build so I'd like any pointers. Also, I'm putting the air hole right by the coil.

Last edited:

SilentFox

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2014
Reno NV
I think the problem you might be having is that you have too big of an air hole for .9 ohms. Try reducing the wraps to 6 or 7 and get it down to .5 or .6 ohms and then you should be getting nice vapor. The second thing im thinking may be wrong is that its taking awhile to heat up your coil therefore not getting hot enough to produce.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
  • Deleted by lamarrk
  • Reason: Off topic.

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
View attachment 304611 This is my first build so I'd like any pointers. Also, I'm putting the air hole right by the coil.

Looks fine. Do a few primer fire first. (1 sec firing one after other) this will heat the coil up and when you fire to vape, it would be nice and hot.

A few possible tweaking. get the coils tighter for warmer vapor. shorten the leg (coil to post). keep the coil off the deck a bit more. use less cotton. these are all minor stuff you will learn to fine tune after a few build.

Mikey6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2013
Bakersfield, CA, USA
The twists is going to add more wire, so even though there's less resistance, it will still take a bit to heat up. Try single wire coils. If you do like 5-6 wraps it may raise your resistance a bit but will likely warm up a bit quick and it's easier to cinch the coils together nice and tight for a good micro. Learning and experimenting is half the fun.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

ImThatGuy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
California
First things first...the k101 or k100 is a full mechanical mod. There is no protection circuit/chip in it.

To the OP, your coil build is fine if you're not chasing clouds, but it seems like you are. Reduce the wraps on that coil; less wire = less resistance for cloud chasing. Stuff the cotton through your coil and place the cotton around the coil. Not everywhere on the base of your atomizer since you only have one coil. A dual coil would be sufficient for the stuffing of the base.

Fully charge the battery and vape. If it produces the desired vapor, then vape on. If not, then reduce a wrap until you hit your sweet spot.

ohm ike

Feb 8, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Gonna try another build this weekend. And I know what my battery can handle and I know a little about ohms law and how to calculate my resistence, watts, volts, etc. and safely charging/discharging my batt so I'm not going to blow myself up, don't worry. ;) and not really cloud chasing per-say, just want more vapor than I'm getting and a better taste and throat hit. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread