Status
Not open for further replies.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
Looking at jumping in on my first budget mod. It was a toss-up between the Vamo and the SID and I am leaning towards the SID. But I am a little confused on which batteries are best to use. I have looked and researched and there are many different types to choose from. What I want is two batteries, one to have as a spare. I want the highest mAh rating I can get for long life. But I also want the safest and most secure battery. As in one I can put on charge and if I forget to take it off right away it will be safe. Also not sure flat top or button top. And to go along with it need a good but basic charger. Something with decent charging times. Obviously something with a 1000mAh rating or higher.

All suggestions welcome.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
For a VV or VW mod you should be using an IMR high drain battery, not an ICR for safety and performance. Your mod will be pulling extra amperage to be able to boost the voltage. (there's no such thing as a free lunch...:laugh:)

The Sony 18650 VTC4 30amp Battery or 18650 Hybrid 2250mah 3.7v IMR Battery are both IMR / Hybrid safe chemistry - high drain and much safer than any ICR battery, plus they will give you better performance on a variable voltage mod.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
What is the deal with the protected batteries on the RTD site??? Also would any of the Panasonic ones listed be good with the SID??? They have a higher mAh rating which is what I am looking for. Just don't know what the difference is with most of them. Would like to have 2500mAh or higher so I only have to carry one extra battery with me.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta

RayBans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Southern California
I have a SID and it works great till you use it for 6 months or so, then the dreaded "low load" message appears when the chincy O ring in the stem wears out. I have to fix it every few months with some stretch and seal tape around the stem to deal with the "low load" issue. I've moved on to kamray 100+ and Sid stays at home now.

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
Protected batteries, ICR, are a low drain variety, not made for VV/VW devices. If the description doesn't say IMR or High Drain or Hybrid they aren't made for the regulated mods.

The Panasonic High Drain NCR18650PD Hybrid 2900mAh Protected Button Top - Batteries would work and are a 10 amp rating, enough for a regulated mod, too little for mech mods.

That is the one I was eyeing. Figure one of them would get me through two days easy. Would that one be better or not as good as the Efest IMR 18650 2500mAh 35amp Purple???

What would be a good, reliable basic charger with decent charging time??? They have more chargers than I have seen on any other site.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
The Efest IMR 18650 2500mAh 35amp Purple are a good choice for mech mods where you might be sub-ohming with 0.5Ω coils drawing major amperage. For a regulated mod like the SID, the Pannys are rated for sufficient amperage draw.

Charger, the Pila, Xtar or Nitecore (i2 or i4) are all well respected, I would pick whichever you can find on sale..:)

Garemlin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2013
In the Mist
The Efest IMR 18650 2500mAh 35amp Purple are a good choice for mech mods where you might be sub-ohming with 0.5Ω coils drawing major amperage. For a regulated mod like the SID, the Pannys are rated for sufficient amperage draw.

Charger, the Pila, Xtar or Nitecore (i2 or i4) are all well respected, I would pick whichever you can find on sale..:)

Naa not going to be doing anything like that. Still wanting to keep it pretty simple with my 1.8 and 2.1 coils. So that Panny would be a solid choice then?? Hate to keep asking what may seem like basic questions but is there any advantage or disadvantage of button top over flat top batteries???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread