Not open for further replies.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I'm assuming 'smileomizer's are a form of clearomizers? LOL

You don't use rubbing alcohol because it's hard to get the taste out properly - you wouldn't drink it, after all. I use either dental tablets (for cleaning dentures) or vodka, and rinse afterwards. Also, I may be wrong, but I think rubbing alcohol is harder on gaskets and plastic.

I just Googled to see what they are - maybe a sort of carto? If so, don't use dental cleaner either - just vodka imo!

Last edited:

Scott McVap3r

Feb 12, 2014
Somerset, MI
I'm assuming 'smileomizer's are a form of clearomizers? LOL

You don't use rubbing alcohol because it's hard to get the taste out properly - you wouldn't drink it, after all. I use either dental tablets (for cleaning dentures) or vodka, and rinse afterwards. Also, I may be wrong, but I think rubbing alcohol is harder on gaskets and plastic.

I just Googled to see what they are - maybe a sort of carto? If so, don't use dental cleaner either - just vodka imo!

I'm still not sure why just vodka. I have had no trouble with taste as I do a full 24-hour rinse with water afterwards. Also, there are no plastic components and I found no degradation of the product in the few times I have done this.

The only logical reason for me would be the possible contaminants being inhaled by residuals? But I don't know...

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I think it's potentially pretty dangerous. It used to be that homeless people drank rubbing alcohol as a cheap form of alcohol and had all sorts of fatalities - and blindness. I would't do it, most particularly with something that has filler material. As an example of why it's bad:

What Are the Dangers of Inhaling Rubbing Alcohol? | eHow

Scott McVap3r

Feb 12, 2014
Somerset, MI
I think it's potentially pretty dangerous. It used to be that homeless people drank rubbing alcohol as a cheap form of alcohol and had all sorts of fatalities - and blindness. I would't do it, most particularly with something that has filler material. As an example of why it's bad:

What Are the Dangers of Inhaling Rubbing Alcohol? | eHow

Right on. I actually just read that article before I saw your post :) Guess its a CHEAP vodka bath from here on out.

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA
There are other ingredients in Rubbing alcohol that could cause problems, too... which is why they suggest using PGA (pure grain alcohol) or something like Everclear/Vodka. But I have been using the 91% Isopropyl alcohol to clean my attys and clearos for over 3 yrs. now without any problems...

After soaking them, I rinse them in HOT water, and then let them air-dry overnight... :)

(btw, they don't sell Everclear here in CA... and why waste good Vodka??)

Last edited:

Scott McVap3r

Feb 12, 2014
Somerset, MI
After soaking them, I rinse them in HOT water, and then let them air-dry overnight... :)

(btw, they don't sell Everclear here in CA... and why waste good Vodka??)

Ah, that is why I will not be wasting GOOD vodka. No Grey Goose for this chore.

By the way, after more research, I have read that Ethyl based rubbing alcohol is safer than the Isopropyl base. Just for your consideration.

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA
Ah, that is why I will not be wasting GOOD vodka. No Grey Goose for this chore.

By the way, after more research, I have read that Ethyl based rubbing alcohol is safer than the Isopropyl base. Just for your consideration.

I'll have to check into the ethyl based stuff... Thanks!!
But the 91% Isopropyl I use is NOT rubbing alcohol... which is only about 70%.
You can usually find it in the drug store right next to the Rubbing alcohol, and it's a little more expensive... :)

Morandir835

Idiot Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2011
Outside DC
Scott sir the fumes from isopropyl alcohol can damage your lungs, no better reason than that on why you shouldn't use it. Ethyl alcohol is a different story, why people suggest using vodka or the like. Any high abv ethyl alcohol (70% and above) will evaporate quickly and is safe to use as it is to drink (in moderation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread