vaping at stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpl0it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
Miami, FL
If a business want's to forbid using an e-cigarette in their facility they have every right to do so.

To be quite honest I have an issue with people thinking that it's alright to vape wherever they please. If someone can't be bothered to wait a few minutes to step outside they have bigger issues.

Just my :2c:

Reactions: HopHead

bentyl

Feb 9, 2014
Statesboro, GA
Well it actually can be a hazard. Some people are allergic to e cig vapor (most commonly to pg or a to particular flavoring). To say that it's completely harmless in public is a lie and to think so and to claim so does our community a disservice. It is completely understandable that a store wouldn't want someone doing it inside, both for the sake of protecting customer's safety, and for the sake of not turning away those customers that would be offended by seeing vapor inside (allergic or not; justified or not). Also, your point about Walmart selling their vapes and cigs is kindof pointless. Walmart sells cigarettes, but obviously doesn't allow them to be used inside. So, don't get upset when a place of business doesn't want you vaping. There are legitimate reasons for a store owner to have this policy.

Last edited:

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
I was in a burger joint a while back and they were nearly empty. I asked the manager if I could vape and before I could explain it he said go for it. Shortly after, their business picked up and I put my kit away. Why? I was perfectly in the right as I had permission but I didn't want some ill educated customer giving them a hard time. Just because it is permissible does not make it beneficial. On the flip side I wish all business everywhere had a giant sign that said "vape on". Also I find it annoying the public wants to group me into smoking sections. I quit smoking for a reason and I do not want to be herded into that stench. Sadly business and employers think my choice to vape is not their problem :p

Reactions: Liskrig

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
It's all about the cloud. People fear the cloud.

Even Vapers on this forum fear the cloud. PG and VG have been in use for over 50 years in a myriad of things and we don't even know about it. It is commonly used in air sanitizers and nebulizing equipment. It is used in fog machines for special effects. Been to the Pirates of the Carribbean ride or the haunted Mansion? Enjoy that PG. But not one person is concerned about little johnny and his PG sensitivity when they go to Disneyland, unless of course it comes out a vapers mouth.

I can say that vapor is harmless, I have years of studies to prove it, and even the most ardent anti e-cig organization the FDA has classified all the ingredients on my e-liquid as safe and what I exhale is in such low concentrations that it has been determined not to provide any risk to anyone other than the vaper himself.

Don't let some nanny tell you that second hand vape is "not safe, or not proven safe yet". Quite the contrary, The Drexel report concluded:

The cautions about propylene glycol and glycerin apply only to the exposure experienced by the vapers themselves.
Exposure of bystanders to the listed ingredients, let alone the contaminants, does not warrant a concern as the exposure is likely to be orders of magnitude lower than exposure experienced by vapers. Further research employing realistic conditions could help quantify the quantity of exhaled aerosol and its behavior in the environment under realistic worst-case scenarios (i.e., not small sealed chambers), but this is not a priority since the exposure experienced by bystanders is clearly very low compared to the exposure of vapers, and thus there is no reason to expect it would have any health effects.

What does this say? Well it doesn't say it's 100% safe, nothing is. What it DOES say is there is not enough concern to warrant the expenditure in time or money to perform the study.

In a Wal-mart there are tons of allergens and irritants in the air, from the scented candles, to the air freshener aisle to the stuff they pump into the air in the bathroom. Yet some people here think that vapor from an e-cig warrants "special treatment".

That's what is so annoying about some people here. No cloud...No Problem.....Big Cloud....Big Problem... Yet Cloud or no Cloud I am exhaling the same thing.

It's also annoying that folks come up with all of these worst case scenarios about sensitivities and allergies and all these "what if's" that they never apply to anything else that we breath. For some reason, e-cig vapor, for no reason, except that it can be seen, is singled out for special attention.

Many smokers have been guilted by society into believing when we were smoking, we were doing something bad. They've carried that guilty conscience with them over to vaping.

Well, I'm sorry, I'm not drinking the cool aid. Science says that there is minimal risk to me, and even less to others. (so much so, that further studies are not warranted)

I will ALWAYS vape in public, indoors, outdoors, or anywhere that vaping is NOT SPECIFICALLY BANNED. I will stealth vape because I don't want the hassle.

But considering some of the absolute ridiculousness of some of these arguments that are being used to justify the bans, and how almost every day, another government official is trying to protect us from the EVIL e-cig, then I'm beginning to feel some good old fashioned civil disobedience is in order.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA

Even Vapers on this forum fear the cloud. PG and VG have been in use for over 50 years in a myriad of things and we don't even know about it. It is commonly used in air sanitizers and nebulizing equipment. It is used in fog machines for special effects. Been to the Pirates of the Carribbean ride or the haunted Mansion? Enjoy that PG. But not one person is concerned about little johnny and his PG sensitivity when they go to Disneyland, unless of course it comes out a vapers mouth.

I can say that vapor is harmless, I have years of studies to prove it, and even the most ardent anti e-cig organization the FDA has classified all the ingredients on my e-liquid as safe and what I exhale is in such low concentrations that it has been determined not to provide any risk to anyone other than the vaper himself.

Don't let some nanny tell you that second hand vape is "not safe, or not proven safe yet". Quite the contrary, The Drexel report concluded:

What does this say? Well it doesn't say it's 100% safe, nothing is. What it DOES say is there is not enough concern to warrant the expenditure in time or money to perform the study.

In a Wal-mart there are tons of allergens and irritants in the air, from the scented candles, to the air freshener aisle to the stuff they pump into the air in the bathroom. Yet some people here think that vapor from an e-cig warrants "special treatment".

That's what is so annoying about some people here. No cloud...No Problem.....Big Cloud....Big Problem... Yet Cloud or no Cloud I am exhaling the same thing.

It's also annoying that folks come up with all of these worst case scenarios about sensitivities and allergies and all these "what if's" that they never apply to anything else that we breath. For some reason, e-cig vapor, for no reason, except that it can be seen, is singled out for special attention.

Many smokers have been guilted by society into believing when we were smoking, we were doing something bad. They've carried that guilty conscience with them over to vaping.

Well, I'm sorry, I'm not drinking the cool aid. Science says that there is minimal risk to me, and even less to others. (so much so, that further studies are not warranted)

I will ALWAYS vape in public, indoors, outdoors, or anywhere that vaping is NOT SPECIFICALLY BANNED. I will stealth vape because I don't want the hassle.

But considering some of the absolute ridiculousness of some of these arguments that are being used to justify the bans, and how almost every day, another government official is trying to protect us from the EVIL e-cig, then I'm beginning to feel some good old fashioned civil disobedience is in order.

God bless you! Couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, I may plagiarize you! :toast:

hell ya ur right

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Well it actually can be a hazard. Some people are allergic to e cig vapor (most commonly to pg or a to particular flavoring).

From actually vaping it? Sure. Second hand? I've seen zero evidence of that. I've heard "Oh, but it could happen" stories from people like you many, many times. I keep asking for examples. Show me a name, link me to a news article, some kind of evidence. The evidence never shows up.

But it's sure easy to make the claim.

I do agree that any business has a right to make a rule against vaping, and that if they make that rule, we should respect it. But you are going to claim "Vaping is a hazard", then you should provide some evidence. Right now, it looks like you are making a claim that simply isn't true.

I don't agree with the "They sell ecigs, so they should allow their use" argument. They sell tobacco, too, and alcohol. They sell charcoal and BBQ grills and steaks, but you aren't supposed to BBQ in the store. And they sell condoms. :)

bentyl

Feb 9, 2014
Statesboro, GA
From actually vaping it? Sure. Second hand? I've seen zero evidence of that. I've heard "Oh, but it could happen" stories from people like you many, many times. I keep asking for examples. Show me a name, link me to a news article, some kind of evidence. The evidence never shows up.

But it's sure easy to make the claim.

I do agree that any business has a right to make a rule against vaping, and that if they make that rule, we should respect it. But you are going to claim "Vaping is a hazard", then you should provide some evidence. Right now, it looks like you are making a claim that simply isn't true.

I don't agree with the "They sell ecigs, so they should allow their use" argument. They sell tobacco, too, and alcohol. They sell charcoal and BBQ grills and steaks, but you aren't supposed to BBQ in the store. And they sell condoms. :)

Good on you for wanting evidence. You are right in the sense that studies on allergies to PG by inhalation are pretty much non-existent right now, however there are plenty of studies that show that people can have allergic reactions to PG through contact on the skin. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to think this can affect the lungs as well. More studies will confirm or deny this. Here's something from the wikipedia article on PG: Research has suggested that individuals who cannot tolerate propylene glycol probably experience a special form of irritation, but that they only rarely develop allergic contact dermatitis. Other investigators believe that the incidence of allergic contact dermatitis to propylene glycol may be greater than 2% in patients with eczema. Another example off the top of my head is this anecdote from a respected member of the vape community, RIP Trippers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c5Ln69hWUc. In this video he talks about a friend of his having an allergic reaction, not to PG, but to something else in the juice. I don't know about you, but this is enough for me to not want to vape in close quarters around people because I don't want to cause anyone any undue discomfort. I'm the one who's vaping, so I will be the one who makes sure I'm not exposing anyone to anything they don't want to be exposed to.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
So you watch 5% of the video and discount the entire thing?

It was some jerk yelling. He has nothing useful to say, he's just loud and obnoxious. It didn't take long for it to get irritating. I'm not going to waste time on a jerk like that.

If I make a long video of me yelling stupid shiat at you, do you want to sit and listen to it? Of course not. He made his point clear in the first 10 seconds. "Don't vape anyplace you wouldn't smoke!".

loganfl22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Lakeland, FL, USA
I agree with a lot of people on here I for one am tired of being treated like a smoker. Do I get a good on ya for giving up the chemical laced foul smelling analogs? hell no I get the whats the point of quitting if your just using a ecig for it still has nicotine. SO what I say! They havent proven that nicotine is all that harmful other being habit forming and a stimulant hmmm sounds familiar right? ie. caffeine? So so what give me a break. My job put out a specific bulletin saying we are to treat an ecig exactly like a cigarette? really? Ill go along and say respect the rules when it comes to being inside a business but if Im outside Ill be damned if im gonna be confined to a smoking section again to appease a mass of fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread