• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Vamo V5 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
OK, i dont own and have never tried a vamo, and im no expert on batteries but i do know that stacking them isnt generally a good idea unless you really know what you are doing so i find it a bit strange that they are being advertised on this particular website as being able to use 1 18350 or 2.

Vamo V5 (VV-VW) Advanced Kit | Go-Liquid Ltd UK

It might just be me, but i thought a vamo v5 could be used in either 18350 mode or 18650 mode...

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
OK, i dont own and have never tried a vamo, and im no expert on batteries but i do know that stacking them isnt generally a good idea unless you really know what you are doing so i find it a bit strange that they are being advertised on this particular website as being able to use 1 18350 or 2.

Vamo V5 (VV-VW) Advanced Kit | Go-Liquid Ltd UK

It might just be me, but i thought a vamo v5 could be used in either 18350 mode or 18650 mode...

Not 100% sure cody, but i do know with my lava tube you can stack two 350`s in fact that is the only set up what works with it and this was explained to me before i bought it many months ago.

I think stacking is only really dangerous in a mech mate, as there is no regulation, where as with the lava tube/vamo it will offer some overload protection.

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
Not 100% sure cody, but i do know with my lava tube you can stack two 350`s in fact that is the only set up what works with it and this was explained to me before i bought it many months ago.

I think stacking is only really dangerous in a mech mate, as there is no regulation, where as with the lava tube/vamo it will offer some overload protection.

ahhh ok... i thought there was a problem where you had to make sure you used the 2 same batteries all the time to make sure they both held the same charge, but yeah i guess it would only be a problem in a mech.

I did think that the extension tube for a vamo was for an 18650 though rather than 2 350s

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
ahhh ok... i thought there was a problem where you had to make sure you used the 2 same batteries all the time to make sure they both held the same charge, but yeah i guess it would only be a problem in a mech.

I did think that the extension tube for a vamo was for an 18650 though rather than 2 350s

Me too in all honesty mate, are you thinking of getting one ? If you are you may as well just stick with your vari cody and save some pennies.:)

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
Me too in all honesty mate, are you thinking of getting one ? If you are you may as well just stick with your vari cody and save some pennies.:)

Naaa, when i get another mod it will be another provari or a semovar. I was just looking at a few websites that i hadnt tried before in case i was missing anything :p There are so many ecig/eliquid websites cropping up all the time - some of them dont look up to much, but they are bound to get business from people new to vaping and it's a shame for some of those people as they will get such a bad impression of vaping that they will prob end up going back to analogs.

With all the crap out there then it's pretty certain tighter regulations are going to come in - let's face it, it costs hardly anything to set up a crappy website and buy a load of stuff of fasttech then sell it on at 3 times the price.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
The Vamo I have comes to configure with the extension for 1 - 18650 or 2 - 18350. Now you can remove it and use a single 18350. They recommend IMR High Drain batteries with it. Other types might work but I've not tried but one 18650 Panasonic protected type that was bought in error. It worked OK but prefer the IMR to it.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

I have one (V5). There is 0.00000001 % chance of me risking it in stacked mode.

I like it in 18350, but 700mAh isn't exactly great.

Let's face it, the whole website is trying a bit too hard. Some people call it bull s***. I am not going that far, as it looks better than many.

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
Naaa, when i get another mod it will be another provari or a semovar. I was just looking at a few websites that i hadnt tried before in case i was missing anything :p There are so many ecig/eliquid websites cropping up all the time - some of them dont look up to much, but they are bound to get business from people new to vaping and it's a shame for some of those people as they will get such a bad impression of vaping that they will prob end up going back to analogs.

With all the crap out there then it's pretty certain tighter regulations are going to come in - let's face it, it costs hardly anything to set up a crappy website and buy a load of stuff of fasttech then sell it on at 3 times the price.

Very true that cody.

The Ministry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Cramlington, Northumberland, UK
I bought a Vamo kit which came with two 18350 batteries - the manual didn't specify anything dangerous about stacking them, and being a bit of a newbie I just went ahead and stacked them up.

I was relatively new to ECF and didn't realize there may be a risk to doing this. I've since stopped.

I'd have liked to have seen a disclaimer stating the extension mode is really intended for 18650 use, but I've just read over it again and there is no such reference.

I guess if you know your stuff, rotate correctly, and make sure they are charged in pairs etc then you might get away with stacking with absolutely no issues, but I was green behind the ears and didn't track which one went in first (ever) and they will have been different voltages going in there for sure (I'd not have checked prior to stacking)

It does suggest, to an uneducated newbie, that you could/should use both batteries with not a single head up on the risks and precautions to take.

Worrying, but thank God for ECF.

I now use 18650 through the day and revert to single 18350 whilst the bigger batteries are charging.

liquidator

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2012
Berkshire UK
Stacking batteries is potentially dangerous in a regulated mod as well. There's no way the safeties can protect you if the batteries start to discharge unevenly.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Spot on. It is for this reason most sites selling batteries tell you "DO NOT STACK BATTERIES"

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
I mainly run 2x 18350s (IMR E-fest or Ultrafire) stacked in my V2. Much better performance than a single battery (18650 or 18350) with a AGA-T (2.6-3.0 ohm). Never had a problem, daily use for 1yr.
You'd be much better off asking Vamo questions in the Vamo sub-section in the APV part of the forum.

It was more that i was thinking shops shouldnt really be selling mods with the idea of stacking batteries. I know many people do, and dont experience problems but it is more risky than running your device on a single battery and not something i personally would feel comfortable doing and certainly wouldnt recommend it to someone new to vaping.

liquidator

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2012
Berkshire UK
Hi there sorry for the noob question, but im upgrading from my evods to an apv, and the vamo v5 has some great reviews, also am very surprised at the low price. Is the vamo a good option for a first apv ie is the build quality and reliability decent on this model?

Next month my Vamo is one year old, I use it every day, all day (Although I have now treated myself to a Svoemesto that I use in the evenings)

I have had so much use from the Vamo that I have worn away the chrome on the button and some of the casing, the contacts are now getting a bit slack on the button but it is still going strong and even if it packs up today, I can say that I have had very good value for the £40 that it cost (£45 now I believe) that works out at 75 pence per week to date, but it is still going.

Compare this to the Svoemesto that I have just bought and I will have to run it for four years to get the same value, here's hoping!

liquidator

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2012
Berkshire UK
The vamo is designed to run stacked batteries though. 6.4V is the shutdown voltage when stacking, 3.2V when running a single cell.

So long as that fail safe works, then it should be ok, but if it does not, taking into consideration that the Vamo is a budget mod, then you have a handheld firework!

I see no reason to stack batteries in the Vamo because they come with different size tubes for large and small batteries.

Cap'nTripps

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
The South
Next month my Vamo is one year old, I use it every day, all day (Although I have now treated myself to a Svoemesto that I use in the evenings)

I have had so much use from the Vamo that I have worn away the chrome on the button and some of the casing, the contacts are now getting a bit slack on the button but it is still going strong and even if it packs up today, I can say that I have had very good value for the £40 that it cost (£45 now I believe) that works out at 75 pence per week to date, but it is still going.

Compare this to the Svoemesto that I have just bought and I will have to run it for four years to get the same value, here's hoping!

Cheers for the info. I sort of assumed an avp would be very expensive, but it sounds like the £45 vamo is pretty much ideal for my purposes. Can you reccomend a good UK based supplier? I'm after a kit really for convenience, and one thing I'm not sure of: are the batteries rechargeable, or disposable? Also, does it come with it's own proprietary tank, or will I need to find one?

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
Cheers for the info. I sort of assumed an avp would be very expensive, but it sounds like the £45 vamo is pretty much ideal for my purposes. Can you reccomend a good UK based supplier? I'm after a kit really for convenience, and one thing I'm not sure of: are the batteries rechargeable, or disposable? Also, does it come with it's own proprietary tank, or will I need to find one?

I use Ego VV/VW VAMO : Vape Escape for a lot of my vape supplies and never had any problems. I've no idea if they are the cheapest for a VAMO though and there are plenty of other decent vendors out there that stock them. For batteries ONLY use rechargeable - there have been reports of people using disposables in mods and it doesnt end well.

Bearing this in mind you will need at least a couple of batteries and a charger and i would recommend AW IMR or Efest batteries. In 18650 size (the larger size in the VAMO) they are around £11 each and a charger will set you back between £15 - £40 depending on what you go for. I got the XTAR VP1 because i had heard lots of good reports about them, they have 3 different charging rates (i use the slowest though as this increases battery life) & they also display the charge in the battery as soon as you slip it into the bay.

You will need to buy a tank for your VAMO, although you may find some places that sell them with something as a kit. There is a vast choice of tanks out there but as long as they are 510 or ego threaded they will be compatible with the VAMO.

Final thing - i dont own a VAMO, but from everything i hear they are great value. I bought a provari, which was about £200. I love it and it works fantastically, but as a backup i would be happy with a VAMO (I'm probably going to get an MVP2 though because you dont need to carry a battery charger around with you if you are away on trips, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread