anything other than alcohol to clean tanks and etties with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinolofus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2008
chicago
im an alcoholic (sober 3 yrs) so i cant have alcohol in my house. i see everyone saying they use vodka or everclear since that is not an option for me what else can i use? im not really a big fan of the idea of using rubbing alcohol either. just seems unsafe (says the former smoker who smoked 40+ cigs a day lol).

edit: oops i meant atties not etties.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
im an alcoholic (sober 3 yrs) so i cant have alcohol in my house. i see everyone saying they use vodka or everclear since that is not an option for me what else can i use? im not really a big fan of the idea of using rubbing alcohol either. just seems unsafe (says the former smoker who smoked 40+ cigs a day lol).

Hey, happy 3 yrs... I'm just past 21 1/2... so I know exactly the frustration of folks tossing around suggestions about using grain alcohol for various things -- I wouldn't drink it if it *was* here, but why waste good money on poison? ;)

I rinse my tanks out with hot water... then fill a small bowl with clean water, and put in a splash of white vinegar... then I take a dropper and fill the tanks with the water/vinegar mix and let 'em soak for at least a day... it gets rid of odors really well. I just did essentially the same thing tonight with a graduated tube I was using to mix some stuff; I didn't leave it soaking so long, because I was afraid it would get knocked over and make a mess, so it didn't *quite* remove the odor, so I rinsed it again, and filled it with a very weak soap solution, which I'll dump and rinse before bed.

I'm told that atomizers (I use the really small eGo-C Type A, for my eRoll) can be rinsed with hot water, but I haven't yet gotten brave enough to try that. Maybe after I get some more atomizers, I'll give it a go.

Hope that helps... I don't know what sort of "tanks" you have, but if they're the really big ones, I guess all same would apply, as far as rinsing with water, soaking in clear water with a splash of vinegar. The acetic acid in the vinegar gets rid of just about anything.

Another good friend of Bill W... ;)
Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Contrary to popular belief (and your nose), acetone is an organic solvent that is not toxic, and evaporates cleanly. You should be able to use a pure (100%) acetone solution in lieu of grain (ethyl) alcohol.

Acetone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe so, but dear god, the smell of it!!! It takes my breath away completely to have it anywhere near (asthma!); vinegar doesn't really smell *good*, but it won't give you an asthma attack, and it won't eat holes in rayon fabric either. And most folks already have it!

Andria

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Have you tried White Vinegar?

It works Great, is Cheap, and is Safe to have Around. And if you give your Tanks / Attys a thorough Rinse, there is No After Taste.

And a BIG Way to Go on 3 Years! I'm coming up on 18 Months. And have Never Felt Better.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hey, happy 3 yrs... I'm just past 21 1/2... so I know exactly the frustration of folks tossing around suggestions about using grain alcohol for various things -- I wouldn't drink it if it *was* here, but why waste good money on poison? ;)

Another good friend of Bill W... ;)

Very Cool AndriaD. XXI is Outstanding.

It is Amazing what Recovery, Unity and Service can Do!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Contrary to popular belief (and your nose), acetone is an organic solvent that is not toxic, and evaporates cleanly. You should be able to use a pure (100%) acetone solution in lieu of grain (ethyl) alcohol.

Acetone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Acetone would be the LAST Thing I would Recommend.

Because of It's Ability to Break Down Many Type of Plastics and Synthetic Rubber. Like the Ones that Maybe be Found in Tanks or Attys.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
What's that Old Saying... "Great Minds Think Alike."

LOL

BTW - Love your Avatar. Is that your Cat by any Chance?

Nah, mine's a tuxedo... tuxieavatar.jpg

Our formal-wear wearing kitty... except she forgot to take off one white sock... :D

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I was responding to various parts of this thread, and this new keyboard has a stupid "power" button almost RIGHT above the damn backspace... I hit it accidentally, it closed the browser, and left me sitting here cussing.... so I went to the bathroom and pulled an empty toilet-paper roll from the trashcan, used a razor knife to cut a slit in it, and have it wrapped around the top edge of the keyboard, so I don't hit that damn power button (or the F12 to open the CSS editor!) anymore!!!! When I finally finish the roll of paper towels that's almost done, I plan to use that instead, to wrap around the entire row of F-keys! ARGHHHH!!!!

Anyway, yes, acetone will dissolve all sorts of things, starting with rayon (learned this with a Barbie dress when I was still in single digits!!), and running the gamut thru many plastics -- not a good idea at all with plastic tanks. It also takes your breath away, and I dunno, might even be one of those chemicals that folks could get high on, so really not a very good idea for a recovering person, and a really bad idea for cleaning anything made of polymer.

Vinegar is an excellent cleaner for MANY things -- glass, stainless steel, floors, all kinds of plastics... it doesn't smell very good, that's true, but gets the job done admirably, and won't cause an "industrial accident" (or gasping for breath!)!! (and I really don't know anyone who's ever been tempted to drink it!!) :D

Andria

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Vinegar is an excellent cleaner for MANY things -- glass, stainless steel, floors, all kinds of plastics... it doesn't smell very good, that's true, but gets the job done admirably, and won't cause an "industrial accident" (or gasping for breath!)!! (and I really don't know anyone who's ever been tempted to drink it!!) :D

Andria

Yeah... Vinegar is one of those 1,000 and 1 type Products.

Got a Slow Drain but Don't Like pouring Chemicals in it? Or are you about to Break Out the BBQ and you Find you can Barely see thru the Grille? It also will Remove Rust without Etching by just Soaking Parts in it overnight.

And it is a Fraction of the Cost of a Cabinet full of "Specialty" Cleaners or Fixes in a Bottle.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
BTW - Love your Avatar. Is that your Cat by any Chance?

You may have noticed, I change my avatar a lot -- I change it to suit my mood. I did have that snarling cross-eyed kitten, because I was feeling so frustrated. Now that I've found this "Virginia" flavor, I feel like those dogs that tilt their head when they hear something new and interesting... but, I seem to be changing from a "dog person" to a "cat person"... that little guy with the tilted head PERFECTLY expresses my surprise and delight to find this e-juice that's so similar to the taste of my VA slims!

:D
Andria

PS: I just remembered what I was trying to type when I hit that damn power button -- the reason why I stick on that "and a half" to my 21 yrs... my sobriety date is aug 14, so my half-year mark is Valentines Day... my husband gave me a card for Valentines Day, but I was like, you know it's my half-year mark... don't you love me anymore???? :D :lol:

chinolofus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2008
chicago
thanks everyone for the congrats on being sober (it took hitting rock bottom but it was worth it, i do feel so much better). 12 yrs of being drunk 5 days a week is no way to live and man time really goes slower now, in a good way. feels so good to be smoke free too.

and congrats to those who posted in this thread that they are sober too.

also thanks for all the responses. looks like i will try vinegar, especially since we some in the kitchen already.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I know all about that damn bottom... when it's so bad, not only do you not want it to be any worse, you never want it to be THIS bad ever again!! :D And yep it can be a real challenge at first, even the first few years, but it does get better, and easier, and pretty soon it's "default" -- it would take me a great deal more effort to get drunk, now, than just stay sober and glad to be that way. But, those damn Sunday beer commercials always have made me get up and go out for a smoke.... guess now I'll get up and go put my eRoll on the charger for a while.. ;)

Andria

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I recall reading that some peeps soak cartomizers in Coca-Cola to help clean the coils. Some kind of acid in Coke, phosphoric I think, supposedly helps.

Not Coke. Diet Coke.

Regular Soda are Chocked Full of High Fructos Corn Syrup. Which is hard to get out of Wicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread