Vamo v5 on order, did I order the right batteries to stack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Should be fine and I'm using the EFast 800 mAh version of them in my Vamo 5. I also use the EFest 18650 2000 mAh and the AW 18650 Highbreed 3100 mAh with all working fine. Pretty much any good battery in IMR high drain battery in either size will work fine. I stick with eFast, AW, Panosonic, Sony and the Orbatronics.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yes. Good batteries.

Max when stacking is the Vamo's maxes.
I'm not completely sure about that in all instances, I don't know if you set it up where 15w will require it to boost above 6v that it will do it. But I am pretty positive that if you have it in voltage mode it will push more than the 15w max.

The 5a maximum doesn't change.

Mark your batteries (I use a marker and then put some clear tape over it so it doesn't rub off) so you can rotate them and check their individual voltages to make sure they staying in sync.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
do Vamo V5 batteries need to be stacked? I was under the impression that it took one or the other ( an extension ring for use with the bigger battery, is that correct?
Ordered a Vamo V5 last night and only ordered 1 of each size...

one IMR 18350 and one 18650
No, they don't need to be stacked. LOL. That is a fussy, technical thing if you want to do it safely. I don't and won't.

I ordered two 18650's and they are doing great. I ordered two 18350's later, just to see what it was like to vape on a shorty, just doesn't last long enough for me to be happy. You might want to order another 18650 later.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
do Vamo V5 batteries need to be stacked? I was under the impression that it took one or the other ( an extension ring for use with the bigger battery, is that correct?
Ordered a Vamo V5 last night and only ordered 1 of each size...

one IMR 18350 and one 18650

You don't need to stack.
I don't have a V5 (V2 and V3) but I'm pretty sure it can take (1) 18650, (1) 18350 or (2) 18350s.
Stacked 18350s take up roughly the same space as a single 18650. To use (1) 18350 you remove the extension.

The benefit of stacking is that it can do higher voltage under some loads and you're always stepping the voltage down so it has a more consistent delivery for the whole runtime. The negative is less run time of 18350s compared to 18650 and safety.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Huh. Even flat tops run a little (not much, but enough where I was sketchy about trying button tops) beyond the end of the tube when stacked on mine.

Mine are button. There may be .5-1mm sticking out, too close for my eyes without light (and this is the first time I had cause to look in the light :) ).

The Ministry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
Cramlington, Northumberland, UK
I can stack two 18350 batts in the Vamo V5 no issues (so far although I stopped stacking when I got a couple of 18650's)

Mine are flat topped mind, but seems like there would be plenty spare space if they were buttons.

I find a single 18650 does me over stacking, I never made use of the extra voltage anyway.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
You can't rotate them doing that.

Why would you need to rotate them at all ?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the batteries equalize themselves anyway while they're running paired as a stack ?
So why would alternating which one is on top have be beneficial to the paired stack ?

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Why would you need to rotate them at all ?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the batteries equalize themselves anyway while they're running paired as a stack ?
So why would alternating which one is on top have be beneficial to the paired stack ?

The theory is that battery closest to the positive post drains faster. From personal experience I have found no truth to that theory.

But regarding what you said about "wouldn't the batteries equalize themselves" - no, that doesn't happen on any level and it's important, especially if people try to stack batteries in a mechanical. One battery will almost always hit low voltage before the other one does. An APV that is going to shut down when it sees 6.4 volts in stacked mode has no way of knowing if one of those batteries is still providing 3.8 volts - while the other one is all the way down to 2.6 volts. All it's seeing is the total series voltage output coming off the stack. In a mechanical there is no electronic monitoring at all, so the risk of that spread between two different batteries as they discharge can be even worse the further you push discharging them.

That's why you need to keep them in matched pairs and monitor battery voltages to make sure they are still remaining as reasonably close as possible to a matched pair over time. If one battery keeps depleting a lot lower and faster than the other one that's when bad things start happening to battery chemistry.

Last edited:

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
The theory is that battery closest to the positive post drains faster. From personal experience I have found no truth to that theory.

But regarding what you said about "wouldn't the batteries equalize themselves" - no, that doesn't happen on any level and it's important, especially if people try to stack batteries in a mechanical. One battery will almost always hit low voltage before the other one does. An APV that is going to shut down when it sees 6.4 volts in stacked mode has no way of know if one of those batteries is still providing 3.8 volts - while the other one is all the way down to 2.6 volts. All it's seeing is the total series voltage output coming off the stack. In a mechanical there is no electronic monitoring at all, so the risk of that spread between two different batteries as they discharge can be even worse the further you push discharging them.

That's why you need to keep them in matched pairs and monitor battery voltages to make sure they are still remaining as reasonably close as possible to a matched pair over time. If one battery keeps depleting a lot lower and faster than the other one that's when bad things start happening to battery chemistry.

Thanks Rickajho,
Thats a great reason not to stack in a mech, and even better reasoning why it would be pretty irresponsible to mech without a protected battery.

Obviously though, normal due diligence and double checking the voltages after charging (and resting) batteries should show the user any batteries that are questionable and need retirement. Paired batteries in good health should push each other somewhat staying equalized within reason.

As for myself, I wouldnt stack in a mech and wont even run one without a kick, as I have zero desire or need to venture into sub'ing either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread