qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
HERON : Microcoil & Cotton build
~A simple setup that does the trick, effortlessly!

Well, did many setups over the testing period and noticed that two builds really shines thru in the Heron ~ (1)Our regular Silica with a Kanthal Coil and (2)A Microcoil with Cotton Yarn. I prefer the Microcoils for many reasons (discussed earlier) and here's how I did it on the Heron.

Preparation

WASHING, CLEANING AND WORK LAYOUT:

HERON PARTS:

Note: It was important to name them since we'd be referring to some of the parts in the following tutorial.

Coiling

MICROCOIL PREPARED & MOUNTED:

Note: 28AWG Kanthal, 8 wraps over a regular toothpick.

MICROCOIL RESISTANCE CHECK:

Note: A coil.

MICROCOIL AIRWAY SPACING & TEST FIRED:

Note: The coil is terminalled with it's legs in the bottom plane (graphic below) and in line with the screws. Thus maintaining a roughly 2mm air-way at the bottom (closeup below).

COIL AIR-WAY SPACING CLOSEUP:

Note: There is roughly a 2mm gap between the deck's air channel and the bottom of the coil.

Wicking

INSERTING YARN INTO THE COIL AND SIZE OF THE WICK LOOP:

Note: I prefer S'n'C Cotton Yarn on the Heron. I tried the regular Cotton Ball/s too, but found them trickling down excessive juice, akin to flooding. Probably could have played with the thickness of the wick to have a consistent feed, but the yarn does the trick without any need for tinkering. Also note the roughly 15mm length of the feeding loop.

Caution: Lily's S'n'C Cotton Yarn needs pre-boiling. Pls see >HERE< for my pictorial on it's preparation.

TRIMMING WICK TAILS AND FINAL LOOK OF THE WICK:

Note: The tails of the wick has been cut to roughly 5mm. This is the length which would 'sit' inside the 'well' of the deck.

MICROCOIL & WICK CLOSEUP:

Note: The small piece of folded wire is still kept attached to the loop. This will help in inserting the loop thru the wick hole of the Chamber 'Lid'.

WICK JUICED UP:

BUILD TEST FIRED:

Assembling

ASSEMBLING THE CHAMBER CAP (WITH CHAMBER "LID" REMOVED):

Note: The Chamber Cap could be split into two parts ~ removing it's top-cap (a disc) with two holes. Don't try screwing-in the Chamber Cap with the wick loop, else you'll be damaging your coil. Yep, been there - done that ;)

CHAMBER "LID" PLACEMENT WITH PROTRUDING LOOP (AND IT'S SIZE):

PROTRUDING LOOP'S CLOSEUP AND MEASUREMENT:

Note: The protruding wick loop is roughly 5mm long. That is sufficient to 'touch' our fluff for continuous feeding.

Tanking

CUTTING & SIZING THE FLUFF, AND WRAPPING IT ON THE CHIMNEY TUBE:

Note: I have cut a piece of the GP-Fluff to roughly 60mm x 20mm size. I've played with various lengths and found this size to be sufficient for proper juice containment and feed. However remember, this length is for the GP-Fluff ~ other filler materials (viz. Juwel, Sera, Acurel etc.) will require different lengths due to their varied density.

TANK TUBE FITTED WITH BELL SECTION CONTAINING THE FLUFF AND FILLING JUICE:

Note: Roughly holds about 3.4ml of juice.

INSIDE THE JUICED TANK AND HERON FULLY ASSEMBLED:

Note: Pls check the saturation level of the fluff in the picture. A good aspect of the Heron is that it's tank section is sealed ~ it could thus take a few ml more and might not create a/ny issue if we vape it off immediately. However, if the fluff remains excessively saturated overnight - it might leak into the chamber and flood it. Which will either gurgle or further seep outwards thru the base's air-channel.

HERON & LUX: SIZE COMPARISON WITH OTHER 18350 MODS:

Performance
The Heron vapes really well. Every build that I put into it - worked perfectly. However, this setup ~ the Microcoil & Cotton Yarn works effortlessly. The VTF is rock solid ~ very akin to it's senior but sleeker sibling, the Spheroid, when adorned with the same build. In a scale of 1-10 ~ this build could be rated as: Vapor = 9, Throat Hit = 8, Flavor = 8.5. It'd tho depend on the building variables between different persons, but honestly it wouldn't falter much and yet offer a very satisfying vape experience. I am seriously stupefied by the quality of vape the Heron doles out, especially with a Microcoil & Cotton. And it is easy, as well as simple to build. A novice might be awestruck initially due to the various parts involved (the Spheroid was otherwise), however a medium to senior vaper will love it.

BOTTOMLINE:
This is a fantastic device. It is everything what our loveable Spheroid is and takes it to another level viz. it's wider size, thus more juice capacity and ease of building (aka deck real estate). Team-GP has designed it well and it conforms to their philosophy of "Less is More" with a superior build quality and outstanding performance.

Thank you Vapour Art for making the Heron happen!

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
Great review!

I'm just hoping I can figure out how to use cotton balls with mine when it gets here.. I never was much of a silica fan, and no matter how much I boil it or prepare it, it just has a funky flavor to it. I may give it another shot when my Heron comes in, but the 5 times I've tried it before....no luck.

Either way, the Heron looks awesome and I'm sure I'll figure something out as far as the cotton balls go :) I can be a vaping Macgyver quite often ^^

perseas

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
Athens, Hellas
www.vapourart.com
Great review!

I'm just hoping I can figure out how to use cotton balls with mine when it gets here.. I never was much of a silica fan, and no matter how much I boil it or prepare it, it just has a funky flavor to it. I may give it another shot when my Heron comes in, but the 5 times I've tried it before....no luck.

Either way, the Heron looks awesome and I'm sure I'll figure something out as far as the cotton balls go :) I can be a vaping Macgyver quite often ^^

Silica build is the quickest setup for me, you need to torch the wick beforehand, make a lasso style and pass from a lighter's flame the wire too, the rest is trivial.

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
Great review!

I'm just hoping I can figure out how to use cotton balls with mine when it gets here.. I never was much of a silica fan, and no matter how much I boil it or prepare it, SnC yarn just has a funky flavor to it. I may give it another shot when my Heron comes in, but the 5 times I've tried it before....no luck.

I just noticed I made a boo-boo on this post. Maybe that caused some confusion lol...... Sounded like I was talking about silica on that part, when I was talking about the SnC yarn.

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I just noticed I made a boo-boo on this post. Maybe that caused some confusion lol...... Sounded like I was talking about silica on that part, when I was talking about the SnC yarn.

No worries. I understood you were talking about the S'n'C since you hinted at 'boiling'. No one'd boil Silica, would they? As re: Cotton Ball/s ~ pls go ahead with that media. I had success with it too. Just that you may need a bit of extra density of the fibrous cotton than what you are used too.

Remember, this is a sealed tank with a hole to drip juice. Unlike the Spheroid. Thus, an entire gamut of pressure system is working besides gravity, which could be tad tricky to handle.

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
No worries. I understood you were talking about the S'n'C since you hinted at 'boiling'. No one'd boil Silica, would they? As re: Cotton Ball/s ~ pls go ahead with that media. I had success with it too. Just that you may need a bit of extra density of the fibrous cotton than what you are used too.

Remember, this is a sealed tank with a hole to drip juice. Unlike the Spheroid. Thus, an entire gamut of pressure system is working besides gravity, which could be tad tricky to handle.

That makes me feel a bit better lol. (and yeah, I don't think people boil silica? That'd be silly lol). And yeah, I'm actually quite fond of pressure fed devices. My Taifun GT works great using this system, as does my wifes KFL+ clone (albeit she got a bum one with the channels not deep enough, so I had a bit of a hard time initially, but that was nothing a dremmel tool couldn't fix..lol).

But yeah, anyway, I'll try the cotton ball out since you did have some success with it.

perhol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
Bagsværd, Copenhagen, Denmark
(and yeah, I don't think people boil silica? That'd be silly lol)
I have actually started to boil my silica for 20 minutes. When I glow it, it becomes a little hard, it does not when you boil it, but impurities are being cleaned out.

Sendt fra mobil med Tapatalk

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Thanks for this, Q! This is exactly how I was thinking I would do my first setup and you probably saved me a lot of time of figuring out the wick lengths and using the new topper :)

Tell me though. How are you liking the AFC?

The AFC is a nice feature added into this 22/23mm Spheroid :) It has three holes to play around with and we could use either one, two or all three of them.

Between the three we could go from a nice carto type semi-tight draw (one hole) to all airy Pinoy RDA type (three holes). I'm keeping it midway, at two air-holes opened.

The only hitch is the AFC Ring. Being smooth polished SS, w/out any grooves/knurls, it could be a Pita turning it. I tend to loosen the Heron a bit from the mod, push down the ring a little, rotate it and then re tighten everything up. Not an issue if you already find out your sweet spot (re: draw) and keep the ring at that spot permanently.

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
I have actually started to boil my silica for 20 minutes. When I glow it, it becomes a little hard, it does not when you boil it, but impurities are being cleaned out.

Sendt fra mobil med Tapatalk

I see. I suppose that does work. Any time I've used it, I torched it BECAUSE I wanted it to be stiffer to shape it easier, but I can see why you would want to boil it as well though. Its just never crossed my mind.

..Sent from the vape lair..

digitals

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
Indiana
Nice Pictorial Q! Again, I come to expect such greatness from you sir.

Here is where I struggle: How in the world do you manage two strands of yarn through the micro coil? I notice you are wrapping around a toothpick, which if I recall is your norm. How does the toothpick compare in size to a 1/16" drill bit? I typically use the drill bit to wrap my coils, and I get nice results with one strand. There is no way I could pull two strands through that, which leads me to believe that the diameter of your coil must be bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread