Mexico Airports now confiscating e-cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

providence

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Rhode Island, USA
A member on tripadvisor recently posted that he got the red light at customs and when they searched his bags they confiscated his e-cig and said they could fine him but they weren't going to.
I don't know if the laws have changed, if they're simply enforcing the laws now, or if customs is just messing with people. But just wanted to alert others to be aware of what's happening...

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
The reason I DON'T travel to Mexico, is I've read several articles on ecigs being illegal there.

Other reasons as well i'll keep toss to myself.

Thing about tripadvisor is u can wite anythingu want true or otherwise.

Word of warning always check country laws etc before traveling.

Ty for sharing OP.

Last edited:

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
In the past, it was not uncommon for items to be confiscated at the border in San Diego. The old Puerto Mexico was a wide plaza where occasionally the Marinas would set up a table and "play Customs". They regularly stole small items that could be easily re-sold, like cigarettes and candy ...

The new El Chaparrel facility is open, well-lit, and staffed by very young SAT employees, who take their jobs seriously. The days of pilfering from tourists are over, at least at that station ...

I've read conflicting opinions on the actual law in Mexico regarding PVs, something to the effect that its illegal to import or distribute anything that simulates a cigarette, like the old candy cigs. But it could be interpreted to include e-cigs, by an aggressive Customs agent ...

Never had any problems myself, but on the few occasions that I got the "red light", the search was brief, just a glance in my overnight bag to look for firearms or obvious contraband ...

And the "said they could fine him but they weren't going to." sounds like the classic shakedown gambit ...

keonee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
USA
I decided to leave my Provari Mini/Aspire Nautilus at home and hope that my Zmax Mini and SID make it thru with Protank and Aspire BDC. I read there are a few places in Puerto Vallarta that are selling e-cigs and e-liquid just in case. But heard those places were quite expensive.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Getting nervous on how this will go down going through customs in Mexico.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I decided to leave my Provari Mini/Aspire Nautilus at home and hope that my Zmax Mini and SID make it thru with Protank and Aspire BDC. I read there are a few places in Puerto Vallarta that are selling e-cigs and e-liquid just in case. But heard those places were quite expensive.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Getting nervous on how this will go down going through customs in Mexico.

Definatley update us on your return.

I've heard they were illegal too, but some will sell cheap kits on the streets and they had made exceptions for tourists. Things can change at any time though.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Mexico is the LAST place I'd travel to with "high end" mods. I'd make do with a hand full of cheap CE disposable type clearos and 3-4 eGo batteries. That way if it got confiscated or stolen, you're not out a couple of hundred bucks or more worth of gear.

Best advise for traveling anywhere! Remember hotel rooms get pilfered as well.

keonee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
USA
I'm leaving on Fri. Will update when I get home how it goes bringing only Zmax Mini, SID and (Ego - Twist for stealth vaping in the bathroom ). Just the tubes/batteries will remain in my carry-on.

When I arrive in Puerto Vallarta I plan on putting the heads ( chipset ) in my pockets just in case I hit the button going thru customs and it turns red. If it does I hear they only go thru suitcases and carry-on.

CNYC

Feb 19, 2014
NYC
I am heading to Mexico in a few weeks. This will be my first time there as a person who vapes.

I am also a member of a local mexican forum. A few members told me they have no issues with vaping down there but I did see on the internet that they are technically illegal. Who knows what this means in real life though. Laws are a grey area in Mexico.

There is a good chance that I can be searched on the street for doing nothing and they might find it. As far as going into Mexico I plan on putting everything in my inside jacket pocket. I've never had my body searched just my bags...but what to do if a cop sees you puffing away...will you get in trouble ? Or what happens if you get frisked to go inside a club or something and some security cop gives you a hard time ?

Annoying and scary at the same time.

Has anyone been and come back to verify things for us ?

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
I sure hope this isn't true. I leave for Mexico next Friday and am planning on bringing my Provari Mini, Zmax Mini and SID.

Here is an idea mail some items to yourself in the hotel or residence where you will reside if you have time. I would only take cheap stuff. Is it worth losing a good mod?

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My husband just got sent there. He took with him an ego style, an empty tank and a bottle of ejuice. He went through customs with no trouble at the airport. If I hear from him I'll ask which airport he dealt with customs at. First because it's relatively cheap to replace. Second because it's small and not real eyebrow raising.

I had him put the battery in his pocket, so when he emptied them at the metal detector it was seen by TSA and not looking interesting in his bag. The empty tank and juice (labeled) was in his carry on in a ziplock baggie. Customs didn't even ask about it.

I definitely wouldn't take anything big, or expensive looking. And I'd shy away from more than two max, simply because they do have wierd laws about import for sale I guess. One ecig isn't going to arouse a lot of suspicion, two isn't like to. More than that you're asking for trouble.

c3 rolling

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Canyon Country, CA
I just got back a month ago from Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. My wife carried on an MVP v2 with a Kayfun Lite and I carried a Provari mini with a Kayfun lite. The only time we had to open our bag due to the mods was at LAX in Los Angeles, ironic. I noticed the Mexican agents looking real hard at our carry ons in the scanner but no inspection.

keonee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
USA
I just came back from Puerto Vallarta Mexico on March 7th. It was a breeze going thru all airports. No problems in ORD ( Chicago ) and PVR ( Puerto Vallarta ).

Getting off the plane in PVR I walked thru security with my backpack and got the green light. I had had the Zmax Mini, SID, various tanks w/numerous coils and had 100 ml of e-liquid with me.....no problem.

On the way back going thru PVR customs they have now stopped going thru ( looking and searching ) checked bags. While standing in line to get my flight ticket and check my bag the PVR custom people put a plastic twist tie on my bag. All I had to do was place it on the scale and they sent it on it's way to be scanned and placed on the plane.

I stopped in a few places that had e-cigarettes and e-liquid for sale posted on their websites. I was told they are no longer able to sell anything related to e-cigarettes.

But I took my Zmax Mini all over and had no trouble. A lot of the locals really liked my Zmax Mini. All wished they could buy these APV's there. One guy even asked if NASA made my Zmax Mini, LOL

ahop

Verified Member
Mar 10, 2014
grand rapids, mi
couple questions for you guys who did travel to mexico have a tripped booked would have booked for somewhere if i knew this before but anyway have a cheap fasttech sentinel and trident got for under 20 back when i first got into rba's i plan on trying to bring in along with a itaste vv and a ego 650 all in different spots but my question is am i going to have to run to my room anytime i want a vape or did you guys freely vape around the resort (pool, beach, bars) worst case ill be buying some cubans and have to listen to girlfriend ..... the whole time about how bad they smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread