Question about RMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee2006

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a Vamo V5, it has an option for RMS/ mean.......

my son got a Vamo V5 from another company, his does not have the option to change his RMS/ mean...
so I thought maybe he got ripped off and really it's another version of the Vamo....

But then while researching it I found this on line dealer who list what's on the V5 they sale. It gave me the impression that it simply comes standard as RMS....

Now I'm trying to figure this out.... Are there 2 types? One standard RMS and one with the ability to change it???

Here's the link I was looking at.. Vamo V5 APV MOD - Variable Voltage e-Cigarette Battery - ITCVapes

Any input would be appreciated :)

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Now I'm trying to figure this out.... Are there 2 types? One standard RMS and one with the ability to change it???

Yes, there are two types. The Vamo is made by more than one manufacturer and with at least two different versions of the board. With the exception of being able to switch between RMS and mean, they are identical.

Quite honestly, most (if not all) folks prefer RMS anyway - I know I do!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah I agree, now that I know his is running RMS I'm happy with it :)

I don't know about your Version Vamo, but mine (V2?) will every Once in Awhile change Modes on it's own. It is Rare but it does happen Occasionally.

So if you ever pick up you Vamo and the hit Doesn't Taste right, check you Mode Setting before you Chuck your Clearo or Carto or Whatever.

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I don't know about your Version Vamo, but mine (V2?) will every Once in Awhile change Modes on it's own. It is Rare but it does happen Occasionally.

So if you ever pick up you Vamo and the hit Doesn't Taste right, check you Mode Setting before you Chuck your Clearo or Carto or Whatever.

My Vamo 3 AND my smok Zmax do that occasionally when I change the batteries, but not every time.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
The Firmware version installed on your Vamo. Your's may be KSD 2.0 version.
Below please find how to verify your firmware version.

Vamo's Do have a firmware version.

V3 firmware version can be verified by:
Remove the Battery Cap
Press and Hold the Fire Button
Reinstall the Battery Cap
KSD 2.0 or KSD 3.0 should be displayed on the OLED display

Story is that KSD 3.0 allows switching Mean/RMS (verified on my Vamo V3) while KSD 2.0 does not (RMS only).
This being true explains why some V3s won't switch Mean/RMS.

A PBusardo Review - The VAMO V5 - YouTube
PBtusardo V5 review shows how to switch Mean/RMS

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
I wanted to say thanks for this thread. I created a new thread about my V5 I just got because it wasn't behaving like I'd been led to expect from threads here and that half hour review video.

Now I know I have the "other" style Vamo. It only does RMS and doesn't have the secret output mode menu. And held down the button for a good 20 or 30 seconds after the initial display. But it does everything I bought it for. So I'm happy now, life is good ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Gunner83

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2012
US
I just got my V5 today to replace an old V1.

I had watched PBusardo's video on it, and he said that eventhough it wasn't advertised, that it DOES come with RMS and AVG options. I tried on mine, and it doesn't, so it must be RMS only, which is fine by me. So I came here to ask if it's just a newer model, since the PBusardo video is a little dated, and then found this thread. It probably doesn't mean much, but mine came in the same exact packaging and wording, and same paperwork as shown in Phil's video. I got it on eBay.

Some other differences I noticed was that mine says "Hello" before the "System: On", when turning it on (I wonder if it says "Goodbye" when you turn it off. I haven't tried yet. :D). I also notice that when I set the display to show the power setting when hitting the fire button, it does that, and also shows a battery icon. The actual battery is full right now, as is the icon, so I'm not sure if it's an actual battery charge indicator to show how much you have left or what. I don't have any discharged batteries right now to see, so I will have to wait.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
I just got my V5 today to replace an old V1.

I had watched PBusardo's video on it, and he said that eventhough it wasn't advertised, that it DOES come with RMS and AVG options. I tried on mine, and it doesn't, so it must be RMS only, which is fine by me. So I came here to ask if it's just a newer model, since the PBusardo video is a little dated, and then found this thread. It probably doesn't mean much, but mine came in the same exact packaging and wording, and same paperwork as shown in Phil's video. I got it on eBay.

Some other differences I noticed was that mine says "Hello" before the "System: On", when turning it on (I wonder if it says "Goodbye" when you turn it off. I haven't tried yet. :D). I also notice that when I set the display to show the power setting when hitting the fire button, it does that, and also shows a battery icon. The actual battery is full right now, as is the icon, so I'm not sure if it's an actual battery charge indicator to show how much you have left or what. I don't have any discharged batteries right now to see, so I will have to wait.

I am really curious as to the version of your V5. Could I get you to check the firmware version and post the result?

The Firmware version installed on your Vamo. Your's may be KSD 2.0 version.
Below please find how to verify your firmware version.

Vamo's Do have a firmware version.

V3 firmware version can be verified by:
Remove the Battery Cap
Press and Hold the Fire Button
Reinstall the Battery Cap
KSD 2.0 or KSD 3.0 should be displayed on the OLED display

Story is that KSD 3.0 allows switching Mean/RMS (verified on my Vamo V3) while KSD 2.0 does not (RMS only).
This being true explains why some V3s won't switch Mean/RMS.

A PBusardo Review - The VAMO V5 - YouTube
PBtusardo V5 review shows how to switch Mean/RMS

Note: Take note of your settings you may loose them in this exercise.

350ZMO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
www.ecigarette411.com
I picked up a V5 off ebay from whole_ecigs_market at the end of January and just confirmed it is KSD3.0. It comes in Mean/Average mode and sometimes reverts to that mode. Definitely need to put it in RMS mode. The Mean mode burns at lowest setting. I am running it at 8W in VW mode with a Kanger Aero tank which is a bottom dual coil at 2.0ohms and 100%VG. The Mean mode will be approximately the square root of 2 higher. In DC the mean or average is equal to the peak voltage and the RMS voltage of a modified square wave is the peak divided by radical two which is 1.412. But it really is an approximation and actual number could be higher as the calculation is an integral of the square wave function (area under the curve for a full cycle average). So while I haven't tested it on a scope, in theory the PWM in mean mode should have a peak at least 41% higher than RMS. so even on 3V lowest setting that would be 4.24V peak. I have noticed that in RMS mode and setting to 4.2 volts it tastes burnt but different than in Mean mode at 3.0 volts. What I have noticed in practice is that there is no voltage or wattage setting I can set it at where it provides good vapor that doesn't taste funky in mean mode. It goes from too little vapor and funky to burnt in a heartbeat in mean mode. So just put it in RMS mode and remember it can reset so if it starts tasting burnt confirm it is still in RMS mode before doing anything else. I am very happy with the V5 and with the Aero provides a great amount of good tasting vapor.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I purchased my v3 last September. Could not access mean/rms modes. Quite happy with it till tonite!! Upon checking firmware version(didn't know about). I get V1.2. Anyone get this?

Just checked my V3, because I bought it around the same time you bought yours. Software version 1.3.

350ZMO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
www.ecigarette411.com
I purchased my v3 last September. Could not access mean/rms modes. Quite happy with it till tonite!! Upon checking firmware version(didn't know about). I get V1.2. Anyone get this?

Yes I also have a SS V3 and it says KSD1.2 but I am very happy with it, it is always in RMS mode, I wish the V5 was that way as I have no need for the Mean/AVG mode because at even the lowest setting it burns the juice. Also, I just found this out, the V3 has a threaded battery tube right below the controller section where as the V5 has the press fit like the V2 did. I guess the V5 reverts backwards in this respect, I really don't like that. Since finding that out yesterday I'm starting to think the V3 is better, I just wish the body on the V3 was a satin smooth finish like the V5 versus the grooved on the V3. I guess the only thing in favor of the V5 press fit tube is it is SS versus chrome plated brass on my V2 so maybe it won't come apart like the V2 did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread