tastes strange, or is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amy_h_26

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
so, the first time I ordered death by chocolate and orange creamsicle, they were the little sample bottles and I thought they were pure heaven!!!! so I quickly ordered a 1oz bottle of each, with some tweakes (after emailing back and forth with patti for quite a while. I fear at this point im getting on that poor girls nerves, lol!) I asked for the bottles to be thinned out a tad, so that it wouldnt interfere with my attys, since I have sooo many atty issues anyway, and asked for some extra flavor shots since I tend to have a lot of issues with the dreaded vapors tounge.
so I anxiously await my shipment, and when my bottles arrived I didnt think they were nearly close to as delicious. but, eh, they probably need to steep right? well, in the around two weeks or so it took for me to vape both bottles (alot was also wasted on trying to mess with a new tank but thats another topic!) the orange dreamscicle got better but the death by chocolate, not so much at all.
so, this time I reordered with just extra flavor, not with any thinning....
and they both taste funky! just me? needs to steep? maybe I should just not mess with what Annette has obviously totally perfected?
I will say the longer I vape it the more I am "getting used to it" at least as far as the chocolate goes, but I still cant really taste any chocolate.
dont get me wrong, I loooove VV, and im guessing this is opperator error, meaning my fault, so wondering, what yall think?

amy_h_26

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
ya thats kindof what I was thinking. thankfully I only ordered a 1/2 oz bottle of each this time, but yeah I think the flavor shots may have over done it. I do have some distilled water on hand, buuuut....yeah no not gonna try and alter my juice myself, lord only knows id end up just ruining it more. sigh. well, sadly because im soooo sensitive to pg and artifical crap in other juices I kindof have to vape this stuff, cant really put it away and wait. my local B&M only sells 60vg40pg....sucky.

kittypie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
Charlotte NC
amy_h, I too think it is a steeping/aging issue. Not only as in what Angiebubs rightly mentioned about larger bottles taking longer to steep, but we are also working with very fresh flavor batches recently, so they haven't had much time melding and steeping "in the barrel" so to speak. :) When I first started ordering from VV I sometimes ordered extra flavor but I always went back to Annette's original recipe, because yes, there can be too much of a good thing.

Speaking of good things, I ran across about a quarter ounce of Pillow Dreams from 11/2012. So so so so delicious. The liquid is super dark and will probably kill my carto in day but dang, it's good! We need steeping cellars, don't we? :) :vapor: :) :vapor:

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
so, the first time I ordered death by chocolate and orange creamsicle, they were the little sample bottles and I thought they were pure heaven!!!! so I quickly ordered a 1oz bottle of each, with some tweakes (after emailing back and forth with patti for quite a while. I fear at this point im getting on that poor girls nerves, lol!) I asked for the bottles to be thinned out a tad, so that it wouldnt interfere with my attys, since I have sooo many atty issues anyway, and asked for some extra flavor shots since I tend to have a lot of issues with the dreaded vapors tounge.
so I anxiously await my shipment, and when my bottles arrived I didnt think they were nearly close to as delicious. but, eh, they probably need to steep right? well, in the around two weeks or so it took for me to vape both bottles (alot was also wasted on trying to mess with a new tank but thats another topic!) the orange dreamscicle got better but the death by chocolate, not so much at all.
and they both taste funky! just me? needs to steep? maybe I should just not mess with what Annette has obviously totally perfected?
I will say the longer I vape it the more I am "getting used to it" at least as far as the chocolate goes, but I still cant really taste any chocolate.
dont get me wrong, I loooove VV, and im guessing this is opperator error, meaning my fault, so wondering, what yall think?

It sounds to me like you are ready for DIY. Tweak to what you like!

heinz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
Woodland Hills, California
amy_h, I too think it is a steeping/aging issue. Not only as in what Angiebubs rightly mentioned about larger bottles taking longer to steep, but we are also working with very fresh flavor batches recently, so they haven't had much time melding and steeping "in the barrel" so to speak. :) When I first started ordering from VV I sometimes ordered extra flavor but I always went back to Annette's original recipe, because yes, there can be too much of a good thing.

Speaking of good things, I ran across about a quarter ounce of Pillow Dreams from 11/2012. So so so so delicious. The liquid is super dark and will probably kill my carto in day but dang, it's good! We need steeping cellars, don't we? :) :vapor: :) :vapor:

Hahhah a year old pillow dreams -
My gosh -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
I'm vaping Peanut Butter Banana Sandwich right now and have been vaping Vanilla Latte as well... These two are my first ever from Virgin Vapor. I've noticed that the 100%VG does take a while for the flavor to fully mix and does take a while to steep. But... even after steeping for awhile I've noticed the flavor is not BAM in your face like I'm used to from another certain vendor (I won't name drop, that would be rude) that I vape daily. Even though the flavor isn't popping like I want it to... it isn't bad. Could be the 100%VG since PG is known to be a better flavor carrier... or it could be the organic part because, now that I think of it, I've never really liked most foods that are labeled organic as they always seem to taste bland..

amy_h_26

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Leaving the cap off helped the orange creamsicle, strangely, but not the DBC. The hot water bath didnt seem to help either, if anything it seemed to mute my DBC, not help. Hmmmm. Im curious as to how VV lets their sample bottles steep....they always seem to have the best flavors....im guessing they just sit until needed, but if any shaking/additional steps are taken that would be helpful to know.

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
Leaving the cap off helped the orange creamsicle, strangely, but not the DBC. The hot water bath didnt seem to help either, if anything it seemed to mute my DBC, not help. Hmmmm. Im curious as to how VV lets their sample bottles steep....they always seem to have the best flavors....im guessing they just sit until needed, but if any shaking/additional steps are taken that would be helpful to know.

Amy, you're right, the samples just sit until needed but they do have the advantage of being in small bottles. For whatever reason, e-liquid steeps much faster in a smaller container and I think that may be making the difference. I know some customers transfer larger bottles into smaller ones to steep in order to speed up the process. Hope that helps!

LoriVanPelt

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2013
Asspucker, Illinois
first time using VV and i can tell you that the initial odor when i opened the large bottle about blew me on my ...... the chemical smell was so overwhelming... i have been steeping about a week now and it seems to help although i am going to do it for another week just to give it time but jeesh my thought is... if it is properly mixed, why should i have to steep it to get a decent vaping juice... hmmmmmm

erazzz

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
New Mexico
A lot of quality e-juices need to steep because they are made to order.

Meaning they make your juice after you order it. It is freshly made and customized to your order.

Most of Virgin Vapor's juices smell strong to me. At my local B&M I smelled a good 10 of them and all were very fragrant, as well as the 3 I own. They don't taste as strong as they smell to me though. I actually enjoy the smell of them. I've never tried or smelled kona coffee milkshake though.

EDIT: Though I should add, freshly made juices need time to steep in order for the flavors to meld together and strengthen the flavor. Not all companies offer pre-steeped juices.

Last edited:

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA

Yes amy that's the one (necessary) ingredient in VV that doesn't really taste pleasant. But it's used for thinning and keeping the solution mixed/in suspension. Ethyl alcohol is the perp, since that flavor isnt in the "absolute" line it has ethyl in it, and since you added more unfortunately the bad flavor came out. If you get a big batch like Angie mentioned, or get a certain flavor with extra high nicotine, this can happen because it's needed to keep the solution consistent. But a good long steep (with a few shakes in between) clears it right up I promise :D)

LoriVanPelt

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2013
Asspucker, Illinois
first bottle that i ordered from VV is the organic kona coffee milkshake... 2-3 weeks on of shaking, leaving top off and i am still finding it not usable yet as there is a VERY strong medicinal/chemical odor-flavor and i got the 50/50 pg/vg .... i suppose this is just a line that needs the extra special care and handling before it is vapable :( i think this will be my one and only order unless i get a big-O from it once it is done becoming magnificent lol lol

amy_h_26

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ive been sticking to the absolute flavors....I find that they dont have that purfumey or....off.....odor about them the way the other flavors do. I still steep em for a week or two, or three if I can, but thats just for a stronger flavor. Now that im not getting xtra flavor shots all is right in my world.....as far as taste goes anyhow.

kittypie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2011
Charlotte NC
What is the deal with ECF? I had a reply all typed up, hit post, and I get a message I have to log in again, so all was lost! It's happened every time I've logged in yesterday and today!

Anyway, some people are super sensitive to the organic ethyl alcohol and a few just cannot tolerate it. Lori, I know it's asking a lot to not give up yet! Give it another couple of weeks (and another couple of overnights with the cap off), and if you still find it intolerable, drop me a PM and I will try to help you out. ;)

amy_h, I'm so glad that you have found a happy place with some Absolute flavors. :)

Angiebubs, KCM will always have a special place in my heart. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread