Any info on a different firing pin ..... Having some issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexsr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
upstate new york
I know this topic has been floating around.... All these threads become a blurr sometimes and cant get a concrete answer or things will change in a ny minute on here so i dont know what to expect ya know :! .

There is a medium voltage drop in the grande and mini. Obviously some from batternal itself and other from things that cant be avoided. I have followed instructions in terms of cleaning devices, roughing up the pin, applying naolox to the pin, and using good batteries on a good charger. However, vaping the exact same atomizer on another mech mods seem stronger to me. Maybe its in my head. The easiest solution would be to have a higher volt battery- which i do use a 4.8 volt flat top on it sometimes but nervous about using it at low ohms and its only 600mah.

A firing pin of brass or another metal alloy seems very easy fix too, no ?

Im sure there was a reasont for the tiny firing tip point. Would larger tip space make a difference ?

I am no geek. Not planning on modding myself. I know there are tons of people who have no issues. And 3.5 volts issh on my reo/vv seems much stronger than 3.7 on grand.

I know rob has his hands full with air flow controls and just finished some woodies. I was wondering if im just a knucklead or are other people having this issue and if there is a possible factory improvement for this now or coming out soon ?

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Most of the drop is in the hot spring, some of us have replaced it with a 10 amp car fuse. But in less than month Rob is expecting to have all the piece in house so he can sell the low voltage drop / low ohm kits. his suppliers have told him to expect delivery around the 14th.

The kit will have new firing pin, spring and button.

PONKAW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Panama city
I found the contact to be a weak point on the REO. I noticed a lot of sparking, and i would get a small amount of carbon build up on the contact/battery. I don't think Noalox will be of much benefit. Possibly a small amount of thermal grease (used in cars to help waterproof electrical components)with some conductive property may help a little.

flexsr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
upstate new york
Yeah I think the contact is the point where the most improvement could be done - more surface area, different material or something ---

I know it is not advised to one, but I've been using a 4.8 volt battery and it vapes like I think we all would be happy with in my opinion - (it's only 600mah :()

my ohm reader is on the way so I've been trying to stay on safe side - my builds have to be between 1.2 and 1.8 and on a relatively new 3.7 battery the vape is Not cutting it for me - it definitely could be user error or problems with my 3.7 batteries as I don't have a fleet of them - just two right now ----

that's awesome rob is on top of it - ill live risky and use my 4.8 battery until my ohm reader comes and then maybe I can go .8 ohm at 3.7v or something. but the new equipment will really be great - $ is rough nowadays I hope the kit comes in at a price that makes rob a nice profit as well as making our reos even better than they already are - I'm just amazed my first reo still doing pretty ok - what workmanship - looking forward to the new kit desperately ! I think it's the firing pin - but who knows maybe there is a lot of resistance from the spring - ill leave it up to the experts - thanks for everyone s input n news on the kit -

Last edited:

flexsr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
upstate new york
Is stacking batteries really that unsafe ? will 6 volts with 2 of those rcr123 at 2 ohm plus build - ill have to look at the chart and see what what wattage I want to achieve and work up to it a way to go for that strong vape ? No one else going that route with there rm2s ? They just going .7 or so with their 3.7 batteries ?

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah I think the contact is the point where the most improvement could be done - more surface area, different material or something ---

I know it is not advised to one, but I've been using a 4.8 volt battery and it vapes like I think we all would be happy with in my opinion - (it's only 600mah :()

my ohm reader is on the way so I've been trying to stay on safe side - my builds have to be between 1.2 and 1.8 and on a relatively new 3.7 battery the vape is Not cutting it for me - it definitely could be user error or problems with my 3.7 batteries as I don't have a fleet of them - just two right now ----

that's awesome rob is on top of it - ill live risky and use my 4.8 battery until my ohm reader comes and then maybe I can go .8 ohm at 3.7v or something. but the new equipment will really be great - $ is rough nowadays I hope the kit comes in at a price that makes rob a nice profit as well as making our reos even better than they already are - I'm just amazed my first reo still doing pretty ok - what workmanship - looking forward to the new kit desperately ! I think it's the firing pin - but who knows maybe there is a lot of resistance from the spring - ill leave it up to the experts - thanks for everyone s input n news on the kit -

We are all happy with what we are using. It's not the contact, it's the spring, which has a high amount of voltage drop, thus causing a weaker amperage to the atomizer. Instead of running a 4.8V battery against a 1.8Ω coil, try using the recommended batteries with a 0.8Ω coil. You're trying to compensate for your high ohmage by flowing more heat into the atomizer. Vaping simply does not work that way. As for your batteries, good luck getting any two batteries into a Reo Grand. If you do manage to do so, it wouldn't be safe. With all due respect, I think you need to do a bit more research on how atomizers and mechanical mods work, for your own safety if nothing else.

flexsr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
upstate new york
Not arguing - showing my point of view expecting it to be wrong or right and someone from the rooms correcting it or saying yes i am correct or no you are wrong. Isnt that how the learning process goes. You gave an answer and i didnt agree with it and showed my evidence. Correct me with explanation please or say you made a mistake.

Kinda seems like YOU are not learning too well when you are telling people wrong answers and telling people to "go learn" instead of helping and advising them.

Last edited:

MasterofNone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
New York
What is the amp rating on this battery you're using? There is a reason the aw imr batteries ( 1600 mah) are recommended. They have a high amp rating, and a safe battery chemistry... Instead of going boom they'll get hot and vent... And the hot spring will drop.
Anything down to .8 ohm is completely safe on the reo, some would even say lower but let's be safe and say .8 . These are the specs recommended by the maker. Try this first, maybe different coil PLACEMENT even, before deciding you're unsatisfied and using higher voltage batteries.

Either way, the voltage drop kit will be available soon and you can drop even lower than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Not arguing - showing my point of view expecting it to be wrong or right and someone from the rooms correcting it or saying yes i am correct or no you are wrong. Isnt that how the learning process goes. You gave an answer and i didnt agree with it and showed my evidence. Correct me with explanation please or say you made a mistake.

Kinda seems like YOU are not learning too well when you are telling people wrong answers and telling people to "go learn" instead of helping and advising them.

Sorry you misunderstood as I didn't give you an answer at all. I also didn't advise you to "go learn". My comment was aimed at your seeming to argue with answers that others provided. Maybe I misunderstood. Let's drop it. I should not have made that comment as it was not helpful in answering your question.

zmauls

Madman
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2013
New Jersey
I am doing research. Thats why all my posts have question marks. in terms of safety running 4.8v at 1.8 resistance gives 2.6 amps and 12 watts. 3.7 volts at .8 ohms gives 4.6 amps and 17 watts. Given the same battery limits your way seems "less safe". I say this as im trying to learn not argue.

Make sure to check your battery limits. In the scenario you just provided, the coils are getting hotter with the 3.7V battery and the 0.8Ω coil; more amps = hotter coils. The primary issue with safety comes from using - or rather, not using - your batteries within their amperage limits. Literally every single battery on the market has a different amperage limit - no two 18650's are the same. The AW 3.7V 1600mah 18650's that most people on this sub-forum use have an amperage limit of 23, meaning with these batteries you can *safely* go down to about 0.2Ω (21A) with a freshly charged battery (4.2V), but the stock Reo Grand (without being modded) is not yet meant to handle this type of set-up. If you want to run even lower, you will need a 30A battery, of which there are many.

What all that funky info up there means is as follows:
Any 3.7V battery (18490, 18350, 18650, etc) will send the same amount of current (or "amperage") to the atomizer, with regard to the resistance (ohmage) at which the atomizer is built. The safety issue lies in the amperage limits of the battery - a high performance 18350 might have an amperage limit of 7 amps, while a high performance 18650 might have an amperage limit of 30 amps. So, in conclusion, if you try to run 28 amps through an atomizer with a 30A 18650, there will be no problems. If you try to run 28 amps through an atomizer using a 7A 18350, you very well may lose a hand.

I hope this helps you to understand a little bit about battery performance and capability.

Last edited:

flexsr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
upstate new york
Yes aware of amperage issues - I'm sure there are tons reading this that may not be - thanks so much for sharing that zmauls in a great way-

After further consultation I think the problems I've been having are with my 3.7 batts - looking back when I got them it's been much longer than I originally thought--- I think with a brand new aw IMR, toothpick amount of naolox it will fire like a champ -

Again great info zmauls

Last edited:

Tony Spectacular

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Philadelphia
Holy ..... After reading this thread (and really disliking the hostility...we're a collaborative community, folks. Be easy.), I solved a distressing problem I've been having. I faithfully clean my Reo and scuff/noalox the firing pin, but have been getting seriously diminishing returns. Thanks to the info here I decided to scuff and noalox the spring too...and BOOM! Like brand new! To steal a quote, 'Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I vaped, I knew such lovely pictures!'

Thanks!!!

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Holy ..... After reading this thread (and really disliking the hostility...we're a collaborative community, folks. Be easy.), I solved a distressing problem I've been having. I faithfully clean my Reo and scuff/noalox the firing pin, but have been getting seriously diminishing returns. Thanks to the info here I decided to scuff and noalox the spring too...and BOOM! Like brand new! To steal a quote, 'Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I vaped, I knew such lovely pictures!'

Thanks!!!

Happy with your vape now, eh, little Alex? Real horrorshow, no doubt. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread