• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Question About Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey guys, I'm not military but my husband is. And it's for him that I'm here to ask this question. He has a TDY across the border, and has to fly there. He's just started vaping, and I'm really trying to nudge him into switching completely. But here's where we hit a snag. I was told as long as the juice is labeled, and kept in a ziploc bag, the tank is empty, and the battery turned off and in his carry on TSA won't give him a hassle. BUT he has to pass through customs too. What do we need to know, can he take his setup with him?

We have an ego style mod he can travel with rather than his new MVP just in case. I just want to make sure this goes as smooth as possible for him. And they didn't cover vaping in the briefings...lol

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Hmmm... well, I've gone through customs in over a dozen countries with vape gear. It's usually a complete non-event - security is the larger concern (although I've never had an issue there using much the same protocol you've described).

Customs in Europe, the Americas, Asia, and Africa have never raised a question... although they've never gone through my bags, either. In some of those places, Brazil for example, vaping is frowned upon, so there might have been an issue. It just plain didn't come up.

Perhaps take gear that he could live without if it got confiscated in the worst case?

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Wish I had an answer for you. Just wanted to say thanks to your husband for his service and what a great wife you are for supporting him. The toughest job in the military is that of the military wife.

And thank you for yours :) Saw your signature, Alaska was our first duty station in 2003-2007! It was amazing.

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hmmm... well, I've gone through customs in over a dozen countries with vape gear. It's usually a complete non-event - security is the larger concern (although I've never had an issue there using much the same protocol you've described).

Customs in Europe, the Americas, Asia, and Africa have never raised a question... although they've never gone through my bags, either. In some of those places, Brazil for example, vaping is frowned upon, so there might have been an issue. It just plain didn't come up.

Perhaps take gear that he could live without if it got confiscated in the worst case?

He's taking a tank and ego style mod that are pretty much expendable. It's Mexico, not sure how they are about it in customs getting there. I'd assume coming back wouldn't be an issue.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Mexico customs? :facepalm: If they give him the "you know we could fine you for trying to bring this into the country" that translates "we'll let you keep your vape gear if you just pay us that fine right now." Heard one unconfirmed report that someone had their gear confiscated, but I don't think they understood Mexico "customs". Don't bring anything you don't mind losing.

kapp_badbloodz

Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Browns Mills
To avoid any hassles:

Keep bottles with original labels.
You can keep the Ego and tank loaded.
You can carry it with you.
Honesty is best. Just declare it to TSA that you have an electronic cigarette and accessories. They might want to sample the larger quantities of juice in their machine. Just be patient and polite about it.

I have traveled on several different airlines and am in a middle eastern country with some of the MOST stringent customs laws. I had no issues walking through the door with my stuff.

lmkipp

Mar 7, 2014
Valdosta, GA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread