Kamry K101 in the mail... now I have questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rotehexe

Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Davie, FL
So I just ordered a Kamry 101. I have been a twist vapor for almost a year now... so I wanted to finally upgrade and this mod looked awesome and got great reviews. I found it with batteries, charger and so on for a really good price.

Now I need to find out:
what PG/ VG is the best mixture for this type of mod?
What type of attachment should I use? I prefer the bottom coils but the drip ones look interesting. I was thinking something like a nimbus?

Please someone that has experience with this give me so tips. I am super excited! :) :confused:

Right now I use a twist and my juice is PG 65%, VG 35%. I use a kanger T3s :laugh:

:vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor:

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
You need to learn about battery safety first. The batteries and charger in that kit are garbage. Don't sub ohm with those batteries. You're going to need to invest in a better charger and batteries. There are a ton of threads on the site for battery safety.

I wouldn't worry about a topper until you get the proper equipment. The cartomizers that come if that kit should be fine until you do some more reading.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Study the use of Cartomizers, watch a few Youtube videos
Purchase 5pks of Boge or SmokTech Cartomizers - 1.5ohm recommended
This will keep you covered while you learn a bit about other devices.
Pick up 2 IMR Batteries of your referred length (18650/18500/18350) 65mm/50mm/35mm

Charger is hit or miss. Many have had complaints - many are using them.
I can't preach chargers as I have been using 2 no-name units without issues for several years. Known Good Brand is always the Safe way to go.

Kbennett65

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
Northern, Wi, USA
So I just ordered a Kamry 101. I have been a twist vapor for almost a year now... so I wanted to finally upgrade and this mod looked awesome and got great reviews. I found it with batteries, charger and so on for a really good price.

Now I need to find out:
what PG/ VG is the best mixture for this type of mod?
What type of attachment should I use? I prefer the bottom coils but the drip ones look interesting. I was thinking something like a nimbus?

Please someone that has experience with this give me so tips. I am super excited! :) :confused:

Right now I use a twist and my juice is PG 65%, VG 35%. I use a kanger T3s :laugh:

:vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor::vapor:

I have this mod and really like it. It feels solid without being too heavy and performs well. To answer your questions:

I am no expert but I believe the PG/VG ratio is more personal choice and what your tank/topper will wick best, the battery shouldn't have much to do with it. Unless maybe a thicker juice performs better with more power? Just guessing here so hopefully somebody more knowledgable will chime in.
The Kamry will take most tanks, I have used both bottom and top coil tanks
as well as carto tanks without problem, but I actually found I prefer the straight up carto set up it came with.
Battery life is pretty fair, I did find the vape stayed more consistent after adding a kick. If you decide to do that be aware that an 18650 battery won't fit with the kick installed.
I agree with others about the batteries, the ones that came with mine quit taking a charge within a couple months, and when they were working I watched them like a hawk for overheating. The charger was ok, I did buy a better one and gave that one to my sister who still uses it without problems.
Overall it is a great unit and well worth the price.

k9rotehexe

Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Davie, FL
Pick up 2 IMR Batteries of your referred length (18650/18500/18350) 65mm/50mm/35mm

I can't preach chargers as I have been using 2 no-name units without issues for several years. Known Good Brand is always the Safe way to go.

Thank you for your imput! It is very much appreciated. Any suggestions on what websites have good batteries?

k9rotehexe

Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Davie, FL

Any suggestions on good websites for batteries? Thank you for your imput! :)

k9rotehexe

Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Davie, FL

You need to learn about battery safety first. The batteries and charger in that kit are garbage. Don't sub ohm with those batteries. You're going to need to invest in a better charger and batteries. There are a ton of threads on the site for battery safety.

I wouldn't worry about a topper until you get the proper equipment. The cartomizers that come if that kit should be fine until you do some more reading.

Please explain sub ohm... I dont know what that means... sorry.

Please explain sub ohm... I dont know what that means... sorry.

If you are using a mechanical mod, you should get an understanding of ohms law as it is important to understand for safety.

Sub ohm simply means a coil with less than 1 ohm of resistance. Ohm's law is basically Amps = Volts/Resistance. So if you were using say a 2 ohm coil, on a 3.7v rated battery that would mean you would be flowing 1.85 amps of power. Whereas on say a 0.5 ohm coil it would instead be 7.2Amps.

Point is, if you exceed what your battery is rated at for discharge amps it can be very dangerous, check out some youtube videos of Li-ion battery failures and you'll see why you don't want a similar thing happening in your pocket. Not trying to scare you, but the batteries require a certain amount of respect.

I have a k101 myself, with mine I purchased a Crown 2.0, which is a variable voltage, variable wattage device. It is a lot like a kick (which would also work fine, and is cheaper) but a bit shorter and more options without having to remove the battery to change settings. Mostly however I got it for the safety reasons,and I had hoped that maybe it's shorter profile would let me still use 18650s (it doesn't, just barely).

If you don't want to go through the hassle of the ohm's law calculations or making coils to a resistance that gives you the vape you want, then pick up a kick or crown in vw mode to take the guesswork out of it.

ohaya

Verified Member
Feb 15, 2014
USA
I don't know about T3, but I found that a number of 510 compatible tanks don't work with the K101, and had to get 510 to 510 adapters for them. There're "sealed" and "unsealed" ones, and I wasn't sure which I should get, so I got both from madvapes.com. The sealed one works ok... I think it's suppose to prevent leaks from getting to the mod/battery?

These same tanks work ok with a Bagua 14500, so I guess that the positive pin on the K101 is kind of short?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I have this mod and really like it. It feels solid without being too heavy and performs well. To answer your questions:

I am no expert but I believe the PG/VG ratio is more personal choice and what your tank/topper will wick best, the battery shouldn't have much to do with it. Unless maybe a thicker juice performs better with more power? Just guessing here so hopefully somebody more knowledgable will chime in.
The Kamry will take most tanks, I have used both bottom and top coil tanks
as well as carto tanks without problem, but I actually found I prefer the straight up carto set up it came with.
Battery life is pretty fair, I did find the vape stayed more consistent after adding a kick. If you decide to do that be aware that an 18650 battery won't fit with the kick installed.
I agree with others about the batteries, the ones that came with mine quit taking a charge within a couple months, and when they were working I watched them like a hawk for overheating. The charger was ok, I did buy a better one and gave that one to my sister who still uses it without problems.
Overall it is a great unit and well worth the price.

Very good and 'expert' observations...:)

A couple points to add, IMR high drain batteries are the safer option for mech mods, regardless of the ohms used for your cartos, tanks, attys, or topper of your choice.

A fuse is a very good option also when using a mech mod, such as VapeSafe Fuse among many other vendors.

Regarding the Kick, I recently purchased an outboard adapter for the kick so it can be used with a 18650 in any mod of your choice The Force Kick Adapter

p.s. I have a K100 I use with a wide variety of toppers and battery combinations, a workhorse mod...:vapor:

Dominique Hoogduin

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands, Netherlands

Authentic good known brand that is ;)

Kbennett65

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
Northern, Wi, USA
Very good and 'expert' observations...:)

A couple points to add, IMR high drain batteries are the safer option for mech mods, regardless of the ohms used for your cartos, tanks, attys, or topper of your choice.

A fuse is a very good option also when using a mech mod, such as VapeSafe Fuse among many other vendors.

Regarding the Kick, I recently purchased an outboard adapter for the kick so it can be used with a 18650 in any mod of your choice The Force Kick Adapter

p.s. I have a K100 I use with a wide variety of toppers and battery combinations, a workhorse mod...:vapor:

Thanks for the tip (and the nice compliment). Just passing on things I've learned here on ECF, what an awesome group of people! I've not heard of the force kick adapter....yet another thing I'll be spending money on.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Any suggestions on good websites for batteries? Thank you for your imput! :)

RTDVapor

Orbtronic

Illumination Supply

All the above shops are known good suppliers and will not sell you fake batteries. These are more, these are just the ones I think of first. I would not buy from Ebay, Amazon or any other supplier that I could not get a good read on by reputation in the e-cig or flashlight worlds.

Chart of safe batteries with minimum resisitace they are safe for. Stay in the yellow part of the chart.

If you are not going to use rebuildable attys one of the best batteries out there now is the Panasonic NCR18650PF good to 10 amps and has 2900 mAh. If you are going to go lower than about 0.8 ohms, check the chart for batteries that are good for that use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread