Status
Not open for further replies.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Ok, so I've read a few times here and here that when using the REO and RM2, many folks cut down their flavoring as well as their nic. Since the move from clearo's to rda's, and now to the RM2, I've dropped my nic to 12mg, and I might drop it a little more, but still happy with 12 at this time.

WhT I'm really curious about tho is dropping the flavor %'s. Example: I made a batch of TFA grape jolly rancher (10%) and cotton candy (2%), 50/50 @ 12mg. In a normal RDA, not bad, a little light on the flavor to me (I'm a flavor hound... If I order Hawk Sauce from MBV, I get it with 2 extra shots).

With this juice going into the RM2 though, it gives a "spicy" kick to it on the tongue, juice from the exact same batch as I used in the RDA. One person tried it from the REO/RM2 and said it tastes like tobacco!

Do I need to adjust the flavor %'s again, but down when mixing for the REO/RM2 combo? Kind of leery of very weak flavoring, since I love LOTS of flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CreepyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Salem, MA, USA
Im not certain. I can tell you what I do - I make my recipes and order my flavors exactly how I did before. If I find the flavor overpowering I mix the batch whether it be bought or DIY with unflavored base (including nic) I start at 25% unflavored base and 75% already made flavor.

I have found some I cut back and others I have left as is. :) Hope this helps a little.

karmakatie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
MO
With juice, you know that saying "Taste is subjective"....well I was one of those that cut my flavorings quite a bit. I was finding myself getting tired of flavors very quickly after going to the RM2's, then SuperX started talking about unflavored, so I tried it and found I really liked it, then I experimented with a lot less flavor and was very surprised that I enjoyed my juice better. I might add that I mostly vape tobacco flavors that I DIY.

solace.discord

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
Southern Maine
almost all of my liquid is 50/50, so I keep 50/50 no-nic handy- the RM2 brings out flavor and nic for me. found this out the first night!

I have to cut the juice or else get sick of the flavor and jittery from too much nicotine. put together a batch and let it steep for a few days- perfect. (for me)

I'm ok with it- makes vendor juices cheaper and last longer!

when I feel like DIY again, will do the same- mix at 12mg high flavor and after steeping cut to 4mg.

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Have you tried vaping your unflavored base? The "spicy" flavor might just be the nic and the taste just wasn't noticeable in clearos. The two suppliers I've used have varied quite a bit in look, smell, and taste of their nic.

Yup^^^

My RTS nic is a spicy meatball compared to my Wizard nic. Just opening the two different bottles, sniffing and comparing, the difference is obvious. So there's that...

Also, if your always sourcing from say a large 500ml bottle of unflavored, the "shaking" to re-mix the nic causes more fresh air to be introduced into it, causing it to further oxidize. The more it oxidizes, the more "peppery" it can get in flavor.

It helps to break the 500ml into smaller bottles stored in a freezer, so the un-tapped ones can have less thawing, shaking, and air mixed in on a regular basis when it's time to mix your recipes.

I keep the doomsday longterm stored nic still in their 500ml bottles, but when it's time to break the seal and use one of those I break it down into 6 60ml bottles, and then 2 30ml bottles are the ones I actually shake and use to mix.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
I been making up 10-30ml batches at a time and leaving them in my glass lab mixing jar thingy and when I need to refill the squonk bottle I fill 5ml and 5 drops or so of whatever flavours I want or 2drops each of 2 flav's.. always experimenting then.. works nice

Sounds like a good idea, but here I get concerned is that it doesn't sound like there will be enough flavor for me being a flavor hound.

Marvin & Sennie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I found that my tastes in juice totally changed once I vaped it on a REO. I think because the flavor is less muted.
Ok, so I've read a few times here and here that when using the REO and RM2, many folks cut down their flavoring as well as their nic. Since the move from clearo's to rda's, and now to the RM2, I've dropped my nic to 12mg, and I might drop it a little more, but still happy with 12 at this time.

WhT I'm really curious about tho is dropping the flavor %'s. Example: I made a batch of TFA grape jolly rancher (10%) and cotton candy (2%), 50/50 @ 12mg. In a normal RDA, not bad, a little light on the flavor to me (I'm a flavor hound... If I order Hawk Sauce from MBV, I get it with 2 extra shots).

With this juice going into the RM2 though, it gives a "spicy" kick to it on the tongue, juice from the exact same batch as I used in the RDA. One person tried it from the REO/RM2 and said it tastes like tobacco!

Do I need to adjust the flavor %'s again, but down when mixing for the REO/RM2 combo? Kind of leery of very weak flavoring, since I love LOTS of flavor.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Have you tried vaping your unflavored base? The "spicy" flavor might just be the nic and the taste just wasn't noticeable in clearos. The two suppliers I've used have varied quite a bit in look, smell, and taste of their nic.

Nope, never vaped unflavored.... pretty much the idea of it doesn't appeal to me. What I like about vaping is that I have all my different flavors in addition to not smoking. The wide range of flavors is the main thing I think that helped me quit smoking.

But, for the sake of trying to figure this one out.... I might just have to try it one day soon.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
My off base resource advisor/commander has authorized a dispersal of $120 for vape related purchases during this current pay cycle. Therefore, I shall be purchasing more glass bottles for doing the actual mixing/testing in and transferring of nic into smaller containers for placement in the fridge (you guys freeze or chill in the fridge?), and plastic for the stuff that is good to go. I might also see about acquireing more measuring equipment.

karmakatie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
MO
Nope, never vaped unflavored.... pretty much the idea of it doesn't appeal to me. What I like about vaping is that I have all my different flavors in addition to not smoking. The wide range of flavors is the main thing I think that helped me quit smoking.

But, for the sake of trying to figure this one out.... I might just have to try it one day soon.

I think the longer you vape may play a role in getting tired of strong flavors! I have noticed a change over the last couple of years in even my taste for certain foods, sweet stuff no longer is as appealing as it once was and veggies actually taste alot better. Now don't get me wrong I still vape tobacco flavors but the are MUCH milder and no sweetner added to them. I can now tell the subtle differences and flavor notes in my coffee like I was not able to before I quite smoking.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
I think the longer you vape may play a role in getting tired of strong flavors! I have noticed a change over the last couple of years in even my taste for certain foods, sweet stuff no longer is as appealing as it once was and veggies actually taste alot better. Now don't get me wrong I still vape tobacco flavors but the are MUCH milder and no sweetner added to them. I can now tell the subtle differences and flavor notes in my coffee like I was not able to before I quite smoking.

Yeah, I'm coming up on my 1 year quit (April 6th), and the stuff I started on originally was Volcano's Magma kit and their juices. Aside from me not knowing better on the mg's I'd need (I started out on 8mg... /facepalm), they tasted great compared to an actual cig.

My REO is my one year quit smoking gift to myself, so just trying to continue striving for better and better. I've got damn good gear now in the REO, but I need to step my game up on my DIY if I intend to continue doing that. Still though, I'm a flavor hound LOL.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I don't put mine in the fridge.. I let it air out on the kitchen side and I only put something over the top if I see any flys about... they probably taste nice but I don't like the popping on the coil haha

1 drop/flavour per 1ml of your base liquid is 5%... its not set in stone, only a guideline but most people put 20% flavour top's into the base...so 2 flavours 10% each 20% or single flavours 10% overall.. anything more then that I get heartburn and I can taste the juice getting harsher and not harsher as in throat hit but rough throat

I use a milk frother to mix small amounts :)

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
I don't put mine in the fridge.. I let it air out on the kitchen side and I only put something over the top if I see any flys about... they probably taste nice but I don't like the popping on the coil haha

1 drop/flavour per 1ml of your base liquid is 5%... its not set in stone, only a guideline but most people put 20% flavour top's into the base...so 2 flavours 10% each 20% or single flavours 10% overall.. anything more then that I get heartburn and I can taste the juice getting harsher and not harsher as in throat hit but rough throat

I use a milk frother to mix small amounts :)

Yeah, only really good DIY recipe I've got so far is from Bill's Magic Vapor, and it's 10% peach and 10% pear. Just made a new batch a few minutes ago, I'll try it out after I steep it a little bit. Might need to adjust it down also, but I love it at 20% total volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread