Simplicty + Strada, Strange black spots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sosko

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Haifa
Hi, i recently recieved my strata and simplicity combo
and i have grown to love the setup very much.

today i noticed theres a strange black spot on both the drip tip and the strata top cap, where i guess they made contact,
i think it was made by an electric arc, because it looks like it was made on both of them in a place of contact between the two and there are two spots on the drips and two spots on the top cap, and they seem to fit in a certain way.

can anyone tell me if it was infact made by an arc, or did it came like this from super t?

ZzyD7o8.jpg

picture taken with my cellphone,

only one pair of spots if visible.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yes, that is an arc burn. Could come from the tip making contact with the vortex screw (make sure the tip and vortex screw are both seated and tight) or it could come from a coil shorting on the outer body. Check coils to make sure the coils aren't touching anything, reposition if necessary.

dave4127690

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
Southern California
This happened to me also, I reseated the positive post, made sure to wrap the wire around at least one full turn so it was level, and made certain coils weren't touching the body, It's still shorting on me. Is it possible the o-ring may not have a tight enough seal so the drip tip may be moving slightly from side to side? What's the clearance between the vortex tip and the inside of the tip laterally?

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
It's real easy to test if its the tip or coil, simply remove the strata drip tip and replace with a standard tip(standard tips not extend as far down in). Standard tips can be run on the strata no problem. If you want the stock tip tighter, a bigger tip oring is included in your strata parts package.

dave4127690

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
Southern California
It's real easy to test if its the tip or coil, simply remove the strata drip tip and replace with a standard tip(standard tips not extend as far down in). Standard tips can be run on the strata no problem. If you want the stock tip tighter, a bigger tip oring is included in your strata parts package.

Okay I'll go ahead and try the thicker o-ring. Sort of off topic, but what is weight of the simplicity strata.. roughly in grams?

edit: Yeah that fixed it. All good! :D

Last edited:

Sosko

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Haifa
well after that arc burn it seemed to work fine so i forgot all about it
lately i have been getting my finger zapped every once in a while, i recoiled the strata making sure the dual coils make contact only with the posts, but the problem presists, sometimes the electric current my finger feels really sting.

im sure its not the coil, so im going to try and use a different drip tip, hoping that will fix the problem.
after i made the dual coil, i couldnt put the top cap on, bet it was because i didnt do a full wrap on the two other posts, but a little manhandle took care of the problem. next time i will remember that ^_^

Last edited:

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Well after changing the drip tip to a shorter one, Im still getting shorts, i really dont know what else to look for, the drip tip is definitely not making contact with the center post, and i made sure the coil dosent touch anything. :-\

A short is the positive touching the negative, since you've eliminated the tip culprit. Then look to the coil shorting or shorting against the walls or the outer posts. There is a third possibility, check in your juice well to make sure there is no metal debris down in there somehow, the center post is the positive. After that, move down to the battery, check for any rips and tears in its wrapper that could cause a short. Shorts can't happen in the button since its a negative ground, but shorts will make the button hot as the shorting causes tremendous loads and the returning current to the battery negative's last stop is the button which it heats up.

Vapcor

Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Lawrence, KS
  • Deleted by forcedfuel50
  • Reason: Reread strata post rules

Sosko

Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Haifa
i rotate between two batterys, both of their wrapping are intact, so its not that.
i checked the coils, moved them a bit just to make sure they are not touching anything, this is my 3d build that im getting those shorts. and its starting to be a pain really, i have no idea whats wrong. sometimes i feel the spring getting sticky when i press the button, like its getting magnitized in some way.
i highly debout i got metal debris in the juice well, since this problem seems to follow me even after i change the coil, i actually put the mod aside today, those shorts really hurt, takes the joy out of using it, as much as i like it, every time i fire it up, im just waiting to get zapped, or i get a feeling like the mod is getting hot/button is getting hot, although the battery stays pretty cool. seems its always the lowest point of contact of my hand with the mod that get shocked, always the lowest where my hand makes contact above the button. pretty discouraging.

funny enough im half way to getting my mechanical engineering degree, so i consider myself a pretty techincal person, yet i cant understand why would a short would happen, it should be really basic things to check as you said, but everything just seems fine.

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
i
funny enough im half way to getting my mechanical engineering degree, so i consider myself a pretty techincal person, yet i cant understand why would a short would happen, it should be really basic things to check as you said, but everything just seems fine.

It's a mystery short alright. Shorts are a real simple law of electricity and you're definitely having them if the button is sticking (tell tale sign of a short). Since you eliminated the tip as the potential culprit and still can't find it, the only thing would be to send it in and we'll get you taken care of!

Send to:

Super T
Box 331
Sauk Rapids, MN 56379

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread