Stuck Locking Rings. Argh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
So it seems that on a number of my mods the locking ring is stuck in the open position. This is absolutely a pain as I can't lock my bottom button devices. Even though they were obviously hand tightened I can't seem to hand loosen them at all.

How do you guys loosen up your stuck locking rings without damaging the mod? Is there anything you do to stop them from getting "locked up" in the first place?

Thanks!

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
1. jar opener rubber grip. Amazon.com: Rubber Jar Opener- Orange: Kitchen & Dining

2. freezer or hair dryer. Heat or cold helps them break free.

3. to prevent it non toxic white grease.

Let me guess its brass and SS??

1. I have one of these. I didn't even think about it. duh!

2. Okay, I have a heat gun that I can set the temp. I will try that too.

3. Like white lithium grease? I have a tube of this around too.

4. Actually SS for two and my brass nemesis sticks a little but it isn't the bad one for sure. My caravela and chi you are the problems.

Last edited:

BaDaBooM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
uk
Actually SS for two and my brass nemesis sticks a little but it isn't the bad one for sure. My caravela and chi you are the problems.

I use a a non toxic lithium grease, used that other stuff before that is popular with mec's can't remember name but I could taste it using the kayfun. The grease works a little too good on my caravela SS/brass switch.

With the jar rubber I just cut it to smaller strips and it works great.

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
It is absolutely beyond annoying. This was the main cause of my aqua tank disaster yesterday. My caravela clone' locking ring is frozen and it fired after I had left it up right on my counter. After 3 minutes when I came back to it the juice boiled out the air holes and the insulator was melted. Can't let this happen again.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have a Nemesis clone. The locking ring is very thin metal. If I squeeze it too hard between thumb and finger it bends out of round a bit and locks the threads. It's kinda counter intuitive; try a gentle grip on it when it's stuck, just enough to allow you to turn it. I find doing it this way I can't get it stuck. As always, YMMV ;)

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
I have a Nemesis clone. The locking ring is very thin metal. If I squeeze it too hard between thumb and finger it bends out of round a bit and locks the threads. It's kinda counter intuitive; try a gentle grip on it when it's stuck, just enough to allow you to turn it. I find doing it this way I can't get it stuck. As always, YMMV ;)

Your advice works perfectly for the nemesis for sure. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread