• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A LOT of vendors blocked on govt computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Been noticing more and more recently when browsing the internet at work for juice or what have you. 90% of it is blocked, any one know why? The whole vape ban thing you think?

This is the message that I get

Access Denied (policy_denied)

Your system policy has denied access to the requested
URL.

For assistance, contact your network support
team.

Kevin33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2014
Kaiserslautern, Germany
No, I don't think they are not targeting vape sites.

I know that our NIPR in Germany blocks a lot of online shopping sites. We can still get on Amazon, but Ebay has been blocked for years. A lot of smaller shopping sites are also disabled, it has to do with how the site is registered. Just like how adult sites are blocked, if they are registered as such, some are registered as regular sites or blogs and are not blocked. I've had a few friends who access blogs that are full of adult content on NIPR, no idea why, not very smart.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Been noticing more and more recently when browsing the internet at work for juice or what have you. 90% of it is blocked, any one know why? The whole vape ban thing you think?

This is the message that I get

Access Denied (policy_denied)

Your system policy has denied access to the requested
URL.

For assistance, contact your network support
team.

It could be because they ....you know....expect you to work at work instead of surfing the net. Call me crazy and all.................

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
It could be because they ....you know....expect you to work at work instead of surfing the net. Call me crazy and all.................
LOL, word for word what I was going to post.

I'd be surprised if there weren't a lot of other sites that are blocked on your system at work besides just ones associated with vaping.

kapp_badbloodz

Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Browns Mills
Being friends with some comm guys... they said that sometimes servers are banning unknown websites. So if there isnt significant traffic from NIPR users that meet the requirements (safe to use) then they outright block all unknown websites. You can submit requests to unlock these sites through your comm focal point. Call and yell at them for being dumb.

ssgswjohnson

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
Fort Meade, MD
There are a LOT of changes coming down the line guys. I work at DISA (im not writing policy, so don't blame me! lol) and trust me, while things get caught in the crossfire, they are doing these things for the right reasons. I cant go into the weeds on it, obviously, but if you all could see the intel reports on cyber warfare (I know, I know. sounds lame-sauce) you would definitely be a bit more understanding. As time goes on, a better picture of what needs to be blocked and what doesn't will form up and things SHOULD get better. I know it doesn't help now though, and it sucks especially hard for those of you overseas...

Kevin33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2014
Kaiserslautern, Germany
There are a LOT of changes coming down the line guys. I work at DISA (im not writing policy, so don't blame me! lol) and trust me, while things get caught in the crossfire, they are doing these things for the right reasons. I cant go into the weeds on it, obviously, but if you all could see the intel reports on cyber warfare (I know, I know. sounds lame-sauce) you would definitely be a bit more understanding. As time goes on, a better picture of what needs to be blocked and what doesn't will form up and things SHOULD get better. I know it doesn't help now though, and it sucks especially hard for those of you overseas...

Especially overseas sitting at the TOC........ It would be better if they hadn't blocked Youtube. Have you ever heard of this? I know that it is a local policy of some sort, because in my home station in Germany it's not blocked.

ssgswjohnson

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
Fort Meade, MD
some of them may be local policy just to keep people on task. If I remember correctly, sometimes DOD has to block things based on host country laws as well... although I really dont know if that is relevent to the Vape sites being blocked. My guess is its how its tagged or local policy. I havent found many blocked vape sites here stateside, so its probably more local than NIPR wide.

As far as Youtube, that is definately local policy.

EatBacon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2010
Wherever the ARMY sends me
Age verification block maybe? "Are you 18 years or older?" Could be flagged as Adult Content ? Lol

I think this may be a part of it...... I don't so any personal tasks on my GOV computer, not because I'm a regs freak. It's because everything you do is saved and can be pulled by the commo techs at any time. I have assisted in investigations relating to computers and you would be amazed what they can uncover. I Like to keep my personal stuff personal.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Being friends with some comm guys... they said that sometimes servers are banning unknown websites. So if there isnt significant traffic from NIPR users that meet the requirements (safe to use) then they outright block all unknown websites. You can submit requests to unlock these sites through your comm focal point. Call and yell at them for being dumb.

As a retired comm troop, calling to ask for a non-official site to be unblocked will do nothing more than draw unwanted attention with a visit to the unit's commander asking why their personnel are attempting to surf to non-work related sites on government assets. Loved those calls when we got them. We even had one clueless wight call and ask why Playboy's site was blocked. Seriously?!! The resulting visit to the unit's Commander was priceless. :lol:

Do you have a couple of sites that are blocked? Curious to send them around and see if other branches of the military and government have the same problem. It is crazy that they block sites that help save lives of people that fight for our freedom.

Government computers are to be used for official business, not shopping and surfing. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread