Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
This stuff is the bomb, I know it been around a while (xc-116) but rba supplies has branded it and you can be sure it treated right before sale. Its something crazy like heated to 2200 degrees for 12 hours ..... Its recommended for treating at 1600 degrees or something like that (all from memory, sorry). And a while back it was discovered that another company was only heating theirs to 700 degrees and calling it treated so I like buying genuine ready wick from rba .....

Anywho I have tried silica both the cheap stuff and that crazy expensive german silica thats super stringy and barely twisted. Tried and until recently swore by ekowool and have 100 bucks worth still sitting here. But this ReadyX stuff is the cats meow.

Flavor is off the charts crazy good ..... never thought wicking material had that much to do with flavor other and giving a bad taste if its off. But really I can't get over this stuff. Its expensive but the cool thing is I pull it out peel off the coil, hit it with the torch and its just like brand new. The 1/2 inch piece thats in my Chalice (3mm single) has been coiled over 7 or 8 times where everything else I would just chuck it and start fresh.

It doesn't fray on me and I love it. Been using the 3mm single piece and I coil it with a pin to loosen the coil a bit. Got a 1.35 ohm coil and I can get like 8 hits off that 1/2 inch of wick ..... Its crazy.

Can you tell I like this stuff ???

If your not into cotton this stuff is worth 3X the price IMHO ........ give 'er a try.

volta399

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Westmont, IL
This stuff is the bomb, I know it been around a while (xc-116) but rba supplies has branded it and you can be sure it treated right before sale. Its something crazy like heated to 2200 degrees for 12 hours ..... Its recommended for treating at 1600 degrees or something like that (all from memory, sorry). And a while back it was discovered that another company was only heating theirs to 700 degrees and calling it treated so I like buying genuine ready wick from RBA .....

Anywho I have tried silica both the cheap stuff and that crazy expensive german silica thats super stringy and barely twisted. Tried and until recently swore by ekowool and have 100 bucks worth still sitting here. But this ReadyX stuff is the cats meow.

Flavor is off the charts crazy good ..... never thought wicking material had that much to do with flavor other and giving a bad taste if its off. But really I can't get over this stuff. Its expensive but the cool thing is I pull it out peel off the coil, hit it with the torch and its just like brand new. The 1/2 inch piece thats in my Chalice (3mm single) has been coiled over 7 or 8 times where everything else I would just chuck it and start fresh.

It doesn't fray on me and I love it. Been using the 3mm single piece and I coil it with a pin to loosen the coil a bit. Got a 1.35 ohm coil and I can get like 8 hits off that 1/2 inch of wick ..... Its crazy.

If your not into cotton this stuff is worth 3X the price IMHO ........ give 'er a try.

Do you have your coils touching, or a space in between them? Any pics of a current coil you have made with this stuff?

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I have done both spaced and touching with the thin. Here's before and after a dry burn.

IMAG1858-M.jpg
IMAG1860-M.jpg

IMAG1835-M.jpg

the space one was wrapped with a 1mm mandrel inside the wick.

The compressed coil was wrapped on 1.5mm mandrel and then the wick was threaded into it.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I haven't decided yet.

Spacing I think gives a slight flavor boost, but compressed is so easy to get a consistent coil from. A lot of people like the ease of wrapping the coil on the wick but I've found it not a big deal to do after. The 1.5mm is smaller than 1/16 coil.

To get the ceramic wick in the coil afterwards you cannot push it through like you would cotton. I clip the end to a point and then twist it in like I was threading a bolt into a nut, works everytime.

volta399

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Westmont, IL
I have some xc132 that I slipped over an 18 ga needle, and then wrapped touching coils over that when I tried it about a month ago. I felt the flavor wasn't as good as my cotton, plus my coils got gunked up in a day and a half. I dry burned the wick, and wasn't happy with the dirtiness of the wick afterwards. I've read some people dry burn, then rinse under water. Do you do this filthy, or just the dry burn? I also think I may have wrapped it too tight, and that may have affected flavor? Either way, I'll have to give it another whirl...

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I have done both spaced and touching with the thin. Here's before and after a dry burn.

IMAG1858-M.jpg
IMAG1860-M.jpg

IMAG1835-M.jpg

the space one was wrapped with a 1mm mandrel inside the wick.

The compressed coil was wrapped on 1.5mm mandrel and then the wick was threaded into it.

What size was the wick, 2mm or xc-132?

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I do plain ole wraps not touching ..... They all go on my Chalice BF attys.

With the 3mm I did 5 wraps of 30g with a pin held in there for looseness :) .... That gave me 1.35 ohms.

For reference my old wicks were 2mm eko doubled at 4 wraps for 1.3 ohm.

I'll snap a pic

The flavor and qty of juice it holds is the big plus .... but the fact that its kind of stiff and doesn't fray is pretty awesome too.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Here you go .......

That 3/8 in piece of READYxWick has been in there for almost 2 months. Been re-coiled after torching at least 6 and maybe 8 times now. Kind of make the higher cost not such a big deal.

And I'm getting 6-8 pulls off it before squonking on single 3mm.
With doubled 2mm ekowool I would get 3-4 pulls.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
This stuff is the bomb, I know it been around a while (xc-116) but RBA supplies has branded it and you can be sure it treated right before sale. Its something crazy like heated to 2200 degrees for 12 hours ..... Its recommended for treating at 1600 degrees or something like that (all from memory, sorry). And a while back it was discovered that another company was only heating theirs to 700 degrees and calling it treated so I like buying genuine ready wick from RBA .....

Completely agree! A friend of mine sent me a small piece set up in a Taifun GT, and Wow! My ADV never tasted so good, and like you said, once the coil and wick is gunked up, just dry burn it clean and keep it moving! I love this stuff, and I agree that it is worth the extra expense because you can use it over, and over again.

Up until now, I felt that ss mesh gave me the cleanest, clearest flavor, and I also liked that ss mesh wicks last a long time, but xc116 is my new favorite .. The only thing I have noticed is that I need to let it sit in my e liquid for at least 15 minutes (fresh build) before I get all the full flavor of my e liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread