Serious Magnet Question for Provape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon_4078

Feb 7, 2014
Central Wisconsin
First let me say this:

I understand why you do not allow customers to use a magnet on the positive end of a battery to mimic a button top and the danger involved with doing this.

This is NOT a question about that.

I also want to add that I only use AW IMR button top batteries in my ProVari.

Now the question:

I have a ProVari Mini V2.5 and to gain more battery options/life I have purchased a Atmistique Stainless Steel Twins. The problem I am having is that when the Twins is in 18500 mode the AW IMR 18490 batteries only makes a weak connection with the spring. As far as I know AW doesn't make a suitable 18500 battery.

I was wondering if it would be okay to use a properly sized magnet (wide so that it doesn't make connection if the battery accidentally inserted backwards) on the negative side of the battery to make a stronger connection with the spring???

I wanted to ask first so I don't waste money on magnets/shipping if it is not okay or will void the warranty.

Thanks in advance!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
First let me say this:

I understand why you do not allow customers to use a magnet on the positive end of a battery to mimic a button top and the danger involved with doing this.

Now the question:

I was wondering if it would be okay to use a properly sized magnet (wide so that it doesn't make connection if the battery accidentally inserted backwards) on the negative side of the battery to make a stronger connection with the spring???

I wanted to ask first so I don't waste money on magnets/shipping if it is not okay or will void the warranty.
It may take the Provape representatives a couple of days to answer your question, so I'll give you my :2c: worth.

I'm not really sure that I understand what you are trying to do with the magnet. I get that you're trying to find a way to make a connection with the battery and the Provari with the Twins to use the 18490. Are you trying to use the magnet as a spacer?

Does the Twins extender have a cap spring? Have you tried stretching it out longer? This may be all your need to do to use the AW 18490 battery.

I'm pretty certain that Provape will not give official approval of what you are considering. Mention of magnets in a Provari probably causes Provape reps to shudder and :censored:.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
The Twins is just like the Tatroe rings except they unscrew to telescope. I have them on my full size to let me use the flat cap. You should not be having issues with them in 18500 mode.

I have had issues with them, and it's always related to carbon build-up on the threads. clean the twins, clean the battery cap threads, and clean the ProVari's threads and that should resolve your issues. Alternatively, your spring might have gotten compressed and my need to be stretched out. Also check and make sure that the battery post on the circuit board is clean.

Screw the twins down onto the battery cap first to ensure a good connection, then screw it into the ProVari.

I suspect that the spring being compressed is your biggest issue.

Brandon_4078

Feb 7, 2014
Central Wisconsin
It may take the Provape representatives a couple of days to answer your question, so I'll give you my :2c: worth.

I'm not really sure that I understand what you are trying to do with the magnet. I get that you're trying to find a way to make a connection with the battery and the Provari with the Twins to use the 18490. Are you trying to use the magnet as a spacer?

Does the Twins extender have a cap spring? Have you tried stretching it out longer? This may be all your need to do to use the AW 18490 battery.

I'm pretty certain that Provape will not give official approval of what you are considering. Mention of magnets in a Provari probably causes Provape reps to shudder and :censored:.

Yea basically just want to use the magnet as a spacer. I'm a manufacturing engineer student with a material science minor (4th year) and there should not be a problem using them unless the electronics are highly sensitive to magnetic fields, but I wanted to check with the manufacturer first to make sure it won't void the warranty. I agree, they probably won't like the idea.

The Twins is just like the Tatroe rings except they unscrew to telescope. I have them on my full size to let me use the flat cap. You should not be having issues with them in 18500 mode.

I have had issues with them, and it's always related to carbon build-up on the threads. clean the twins, clean the battery cap threads, and clean the ProVari's threads and that should resolve your issues. Alternatively, your spring might have gotten compressed and my need to be stretched out. Also check and make sure that the battery post on the circuit board is clean.

Screw the twins down onto the battery cap first to ensure a good connection, then screw it into the ProVari.

I suspect that the spring being compressed is your biggest issue.

Yea that's the biggest problem but it won't stay stretched out so it starts to rattle a little after a week or two, a little bit of a pain (nothing serious).

Thank you so much for the tip of screwing the extension piece into the cap piece BEFORE screwing it into the ProVari!!! It fixed the alignment problem I was having!

:toast: I'm in debt to you!

Last edited:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
My ProVari have never been hot but maybe I just got a bad spring. Either way a few replacement springs isn't a bad thing to have on hand, the hard part is going to the Provape site and not leaving with another ProVari Mini coming in the mail... lol
You could buy their cleaning kit for roughly $5. It comes with a couple of extra springs included.

First let me say this:

I also want to add that I only use AW IMR button top batteries in my ProVari.

Now the question:

I have a ProVari Mini V2.5 and to gain more battery options/life I have purchased a Atmistique Stainless Steel Twins. The problem I am having is that when the Twins is in 18500 mode the AW IMR 18490 batteries only makes a weak connection with the spring. As far as I know AW doesn't make a suitable 18500 battery.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Brandon. Sorry to the delayed response. Unfortunately, using a magnet or any other foreign material inside the tube would void the warranty. I do agree that it is most likely a spring issue, so I would try that first. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread