How many deaths are there by nicotine poisoning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicco

Feb 4, 2014
Malmo, Sweden
How many deaths are there by nicotine poisoning?

Nicotine are poisonous, and all are for childproof e-liquid bottles. But what is the deadly dose, is impossible to determine. It varies from person to person, and if its about potential or certain 100% mortality.

However there are one thing to look at. How many have died by nicotine poisoning? This is real life empirical proof! The interesting thing is not the exact dosage, rather the circumstances and commonality.

This is hard to find, according to Wikipedia it seems to be extremely unusual. So I turn to you, as wiser and more informed, are there any useful studies or collection of data concerning this?

Thanks for awesome community, yours! Nicco

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Cases of children drinking liquid and needing medical care because of it are increasing as vaping becomes more popular. The good thing is it happens rarely and there have not been any deaths that I know of.

tobacco still poisons kids much more often. Take a look at this page.

"From 2006 to 2008 and found that more than 13,000 children under the age of 6 were poisoned during that time period by tobacco products such as cigarettes and smokeless tobacco". They don't mention any deaths.

Nicco

Feb 4, 2014
Malmo, Sweden
I was not thinking specifically about children. But i see now, that it could look like that. The intention was the opposite, by declaring that I'm not one of those nicotine ain't dangerous fools, to avoid the whole infected "Think about the children debate".

I asked because the death toll, seems so unreasonable low. I fund in total, globally less than 10 reported death by nicotine poisoning in over a hundred years, and none through drinking or eating (most industrial accidents) .

Interestingly enough that site actually confirms this partly. It seems to be almost impossible to drink e-liquid, with out vomiting it up, before it becomes dangerous? The feeling is dramatic but not life threatening. By experience I know, swallowing nicotine is very nauseating even when used to it.

The fact that nicotine make children nauseated and puking, don't get them addicted. The opposite is quite well documented. Most who have the traumatic experience of "borrowing grandpa's pipe" gets a lifelong evasion against nicotine instead.

Circumstances where children actually have become addicted to nicotine, are far more terrible! It's been done intentionally, under the awful influence of others. By older children, adults and even parents, for the power trip and cruel entertainment.

Good to see, that no children have died from nicotine poisoning. That site would have mention it, if there were the slightest doubt.

Yours! Nicco

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
The real issue is how we keep liquid nicotine from kids. Is it a parents responsibility, or the governments?

Things like this are why we should vote for the future.

IMHO

It's parental responsibility. Accidents and shear stupidity should be addressed on an incident-specific basis. I have no need at all for the government to dictate anything like this to me.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
For supposedly being so extremely dangerous nicotine has indeed caused suspiciously few deaths. I'm not doubting at all that it's toxic, but even if it's only one tenth as toxic as claimed it's interesting that it hasn't been used to intentionally poison people.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Cases of children drinking liquid and needing medical care because of it are increasing as vaping becomes more popular. The good thing is it happens rarely and there have not been any deaths that I know of.

Tobacco still poisons kids much more often. Take a look at this page.

"From 2006 to 2008 and found that more than 13,000 children under the age of 6 were poisoned during that time period by tobacco products such as cigarettes and smokeless tobacco". They don't mention any deaths.

Thank you for that!
I got abit fed up when the swedish news are trying to scare people "already this year we've had 10 cases of poisoning, 7 of them were children"
First, it's up to the parents to store the liquids in a safe place. Second i've said exactly as you said above. Normal ciggs is just, if not more dangerous in this way.
The other cases of "poisoning" was just a tiny nicotine OD as they felt "nauseous and headache".

Such a shame that media wants to spread so much misinformation. I've even mailed one of the anti vaping publisher, but no answer (no wonder...) :facepalm:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
It should always be up those closest to the issue to decide whats safe and what is not.

No matter how much government tells you they are concerned with the possibility of a child dying, I guarantee you they wont shed a single tear or even lose much sleep if one of our children dies.Anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is naive. Its hard for many people to shed a tear for a total stranger unless were talking about something on the scale of 911.

Government is too far removed to make good decisions for the rest of us, they only know generalities instead of specifics and what works for the majority usually doesnt work for everyone.

In short they are looking at the situation from a telescope while were seeing it much more clearly and closeup.

Whos going to make the better decisions; a general on an aircraft carrier 2000 miles away who is getting second hand reports and satellite pictures or a Sergeant commanding a platoon right in the middle of the action?

My money is on the Sargeant, especially because its his posterior and life on the line if he messes up. :)

Last edited:

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
I saw some stats on calls to the poison control center. Unfortunately I can't find the exact information. I was amazed how few were nicotine related and far more were other toxins. Even those numbers could be skewed since a call may be a question such as "I took X amount of something is that safe"? In any event the numbers are very low. I believe it was in relation to children so it pretty much refutes the danger to children claim.

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
The real issue is how we keep liquid nicotine from kids. Is it a parents responsibility, or the governments?

Things like this are why we should vote for the future.

IMHO

"Keep out of sight and reach of children".

It's as simple as that.

In the EU, e-liquid bottles above 10ml will be banned - because of the childreeeeeeeen...

And yet, we will still be able to buy a 5-liter bottle of much dangerous bleach at the supermarket...!

A child DIES after drinking bleach: blame the parents, who were irresponsible.

A child FELLS SICK after drinking an e-liquid bottle - blame an entire industry, and try to shut it down...
(Of course, we all now the REAL motives for trying to shut it down...)

:facepalm:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
There are very few deaths from nicotine poisoning, and the vast majority are likely to be industrial accidents and very carefully planned suicides. It is difficult to commit suicide with nicotine and there have been hundreds of failures even with very high doses. That these exist at all is due entirely to the mythology surrounding nicotine, which suggests that ingesting a small amount will be fatal - this is entirely wrong.

In the case of ingestion, very large amounts can be ingested by an adult, with no lasting effects, because a vomit reflex is induced that expels most of the material. We know for example that ingestion of 1,500mg of nicotine is survivable with no lasting effect (the abdominal pain is reported to be severe, though).

This may not apply to children and does not apply to anaesthetised persons. If the person is drugged in order to prevent vomiting then death can result. There is an interesting question here: how to administer drugs to anaesthetise oneself, to prevent vomiting, but still be conscious enough to swallow a large amount of nicotine - because if the nicotine is swallowed first, anything after that will be expelled.

Short answer - find another more reliable way of committing suicide, there have been hundreds and possibly even thousands of times more unsuccessful attempts than ones that succeeded. The ones who succeeded were lucky (though perhaps that's the wrong term...). The only reason people even try it is because of the ridiculous propaganda surrounding nicotine.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
To follow up on Rolygates excellent post, it should be noted that we dont even come anywhere close to the concentrations of nicotine required to kill someone in vaping. Not even with D.I.Y.

100mg nicotine is 10 percent nicotine by volume in a suspension of PG and/OR vg.

Gloves and protective eyewear should ALWAYS be worn when handling it but the suspension serves to slow direct absorption through the skin. If you get some on you, dont freak out, calmly walk to the sink and rinse it off.

Percentages for common nicotine strengths are listed below.

36mg is 3.6 percent
24mg is 2.4 percent
18mg is 1.8 percent
12mg is 1.2 percent
06mg is 0.6 percent

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Have you ever had juice in your mouth? Bleah. I can't imagine any child drinking a bottle of it.

Yes, but then kids and pets get into some strange things. I can't imagine eating a cigarette either and was amazed that children had got themselves sick from that.

<--- Now my dog on the other hand is a completely different story ... :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread