Bottom Feeder built with a VAMO chip (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuffaloSoulja

Jan 28, 2013
Buffalo,NY
So after building my first bottom feeder I was going to build another in a wood box..having a alot of extra room in the box and a VAMO collecting dust ive decided I want to put the chip (board? idk what the correct term would be) and screen from the VAMO into the bottom feeder...only problem is im not sure where to connect the wires from the battery contacts..a wiring guide or explanation as to where to put them would help. Thanks!

whatsat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
NC

The wiring is not too bad for the vamo chip. This is a horrible diagram I did on my tablet. I have just finished a vamo box mod myself.
simplevamowire.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Can't show the insides of mine, but yes, You can "rewire" the buttons.
Best way is to wire them diagonally ( / )
Pick a corner, any corner of the button area (works best if you heat the tabs and remove the buttons 1st), and solder a wire on to it, then, solder a wire onto the diagonally opposite corner (no straight across, no straight up or straight down)

My test "BAMO" (Boxed VAMO mod) has been working great for over a week, from what I thought was a dead VAMO. Turns out only the main button was worn out.
20140301_172040.jpg
1st try after replacing the main button and wiring it to a 16mm switch
20140314_130204.jpg
Main switch, display on the side and a charging system (works great!)
20140314_130220.jpg
- and + buttons ( I got them backwards.. - on top instead of on the bottom) using tactile switches covered with some silicon
20140314_130257.jpg
ego/510 connection

(I have Chi you tops, covered tac switches, Hammond boxes and an illuninatied 16mm switch coming in for the final version, as well as new VAMO pcb's)

Last edited:

BuffaloSoulja

Jan 28, 2013
Buffalo,NY

The wiring is not too bad for the vamo chip. This is a horrible diagram I did on my tablet. I have just finished a vamo box mod myself.
View attachment 315257

Good luck!

So a wire run from the little positive post on the bottom of pcb to the positive battery contact,correct?

Thanks,hopefully ill be able to put it all together soon,3 weeks and still waiting on parts :mad:

would love to see your new mod

BuffaloSoulja

Jan 28, 2013
Buffalo,NY
Can't show the insides of mine, but yes, You can "rewire" the buttons.
Best way is to wire them diagonally ( / )
Pick a corner, any corner of the button area (works best if you heat the tabs and remove the buttons 1st), and solder a wire on to it, then, solder a wire onto the diagonally opposite corner (no straight across, no straight up or straight down)

My test "BAMO" (Boxed VAMO mod) has been working great for over a week, from what I thought was a dead VAMO. Turns out only the main button was worn out.
View attachment 315394
1st try after replacing the main button and wiring it to a 16mm switch
View attachment 315395
Main switch, display on the side and a charging system (works great!)
View attachment 315396
- and + buttons ( I got them backwards.. - on top instead of on the bottom) using tactile switches covered with some silicon
View attachment 315397
ego/510 connection

(I have Chi you tops, covered tac switches, Hammond boxes and an illuninatied 16mm switch coming in for the final version, as well as new VAMO pcb's)

Awesome mod,cant wait to see the final version.

I'll be sure to keep updates,thank you!

whatsat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
NC
So a wire run from the little positive post on the bottom of pcb to the positive battery contact,correct?

Thanks,hopefully ill be able to put it all together soon,3 weeks and still waiting on parts :mad:

would love to see your new mod

Yes that is correct.

outside1024.jpg inside1024.jpg

The + and - buttons are temporary. Working on some new buttons. I was a little sloppy with the hot glue but not too bad. Works great though. Been using it since about Tuesday when I finished it up.

whatsat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
NC
I have been meaning to do it myself for a few weeks now, even got the kick clone in and picked up some hardwood samples from the flooring department at the local Home Depot. They are free and you can pick from a lot of exotic wood species/types. Been side tracked working on an ego box mod with USB charging for my brother though.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
I have been meaning to do it myself for a few weeks now, even got the kick clone in and picked up some hardwood samples from the flooring department at the local Home Depot. They are free and you can pick from a lot of exotic wood species/types. Been side tracked working on an ego box mod with USB charging for my brother though.

Sounds like a great source for wood. What size are the pieces, on average?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

whatsat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
NC
Usually about 3"x4" but they have the edge on them for interlocking together. They basically are the pieces of the boards of the hardwood flooring cut into smaller pieces for customers to take as samples. Usually they are the special order pieces and sizes and thickness vary some based on the type. They are usually located on the hardwood/laminate flooring aisle. Only get a couple of pieces each time you are in or else they will try to set you up for a measure or consultation.

20140322_114656_Android.jpg woodbacksmall.jpg

BuffaloSoulja

Jan 28, 2013
Buffalo,NY
Usually about 3"x4" but they have the edge on them for interlocking together. They basically are the pieces of the boards of the hardwood flooring cut into smaller pieces for customers to take as samples. Usually they are the special order pieces and sizes and thickness vary some based on the type. They are usually located on the hardwood/laminate flooring aisle. Only get a couple of pieces each time you are in or else they will try to set you up for a measure or consultation.

View attachment 318283 View attachment 318284

Definitely gonna grab some of those for a mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread